Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do I need a Cast Iron Skillet?

Options

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you ask just about any full blown foodie, cook, chef, etc to list their most coveted culinary tools, a CI skillet would be in the top of that list.  

Cheap and versatile, just look at the pics.  

12" is the ideal size for the large.  Bigger is not always better....at least that is what I say. lol     

CI will make you

137.jpg 186.7K
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Nike

Just do it
    New Albany, Ohio 

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I used my 20" CI on my XL for Paella...worked great.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I think you should want one......get one, regardless of needing one. JMTCW
    This is why you need one....
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    Options
    What size CI skillet fits inside a spider for searing?
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    whoa, what is that?!  
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    Mickey said:

Got to have it for steaks.
    How do you do your steaks Mickey?  And yes am pulling the trigger later on at LEAST 1 cast iron pan.  That 16" pan with some foil on top will make a good drip pan I am thinking also.  Plan to cut off one of the handles with a metal cutoff blade in a hand held grinder.
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • northGAcock
    Options
    whoa, what is that?!  
    That is an eggplant parm.....on the grill. The attraction of the smoke takes it up a notch from a regular oven bake.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @doofus... The Lodge pizza pan fits perfect and makes a great griddle. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,185
    Options
    I bought a couple of these the other day. Oval shape fits the egg nicely. Easily stackable as well.

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Where did you find them @DoubleEgger

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    blasting said:
    Hi @DoofusOfTheDay.  Cast iron is terrific.  I've develped a pretty decent collection upwards of 30 pieces, but truth be told you could probably do most everything with this piece, and maybe a 12" skillet.  I've also pretty much stopped using all the ribbed pieces - they are a pain to clean for what that's worth.

I'd suggest picking up a Ringer for cleaning - makes things super quick.

Ringer?  What is that and what does it do?  I took some time and seasoned my large cast iron skillet with flax oil, and just use soap and water to clean and make sure it's dry.  So am I doing it wrong?
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Got 4 different sizes. I recommend it highly.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    Sweet, got the 16" skillet from Cabelas and it just fits inside my LBGE with the PS not in place.  I thought I'd have to cut off one of the handles, but don't need to.  Now what to cook to break it in...So many good suggestions of what to use the CI for...
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    jaydub58 said:
    Where did you find them @DoubleEgger

It's a Lodge handless serving griddle. Google it and you'll have a bunch of options. I have a smaller one and a larger one. They are cheap too 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    One of my favorites is a nice breakfast scramble.  Cook some bacon or sausage (or both), remove and add some diced potatoes and cook until they are tender, add some beaten eggs and cook them, top it all with cheese. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    blasting said:
    Hi @DoofusOfTheDay.  Cast iron is terrific.  I've develped a pretty decent collection upwards of 30 pieces, but truth be told you could probably do most everything with this piece, and maybe a 12" skillet.  I've also pretty much stopped using all the ribbed pieces - they are a pain to clean for what that's worth.

Ringer?  What is that and what does it do?  I took some time and seasoned my large cast iron skillet with flax oil, and just use soap and water to clean and make sure it's dry.  So am I doing it wrong?

@DoofusOfTheDay

A Ringer is the chain meal.  Even with good seasoning, some things stick.  At the end of a spatch cook you'll have more stuck on than water will fix.  FYI - I never use soap on my CI - most recommend against using soap so the seasoning doesn't get damaged.  

When I'm done with a a CI piece, I rinse it under hot water and use a plastic scraper remove the bulk of the crusty junk.  Then I do a once over with the ringer.  The ringer doesn't remove seasoning and ensures you got all the crud off.  Then I dry it well and wipe a layer of oil on for storage.

I have no affiliation with the ringer, but I can't recommend it strongly enough, even if you only have one skillet.

Phoenix 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The ringer looks like a nice tool for scrubbing pots.  I'll have to pick one up!

Soap.  I use it on seasoned steel and cast iron.  Helps to get all the oil off which can give you rancid or fishy flavors on your next cook (if you cooked fish last).  The soap will remove all the oil, but will not remove the seasoning, which is polymerized. Regardless of what you do, soap or not, add fresh oil in a light coating after washing.  I always throw the CI on a burner and cook off the water, then hit it with a little oil and a paper towel, then store.

Using metal spoons and such, and metal scrapers to clean off the gunk is beneficial - it smooths the surface and makes it a little more non-stick. 
    Options
    blasting said:
    blasting said:

@DoofusOfTheDay

A Ringer is the chain meal.  Even with good seasoning, some things stick.  At the end of a spatch cook you'll have more stuck on than water will fix.  FYI - I never use soap on my CI - most recommend against using soap so the seasoning doesn't get damaged.  

When I'm done with a a CI piece, I rinse it under hot water and use a plastic scraper remove the bulk of the crusty junk.  Then I do a once over with the ringer.  The ringer doesn't remove seasoning and ensures you got all the crud off.  Then I dry it well and wipe a layer of oil on for storage.

I have no affiliation with the ringer, but I can't recommend it strongly enough, even if you only have one skillet.

I have the ringer as well - and it's the only thing besides water that I use to clean my cast iron. Gets all the gunk and leaves the seasoning. I think you can get them for less then $15 on Amazon as well. Look for cast iron chain mail and you should find it.
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    blasting said:
    blasting said:

@DoofusOfTheDay

I have the ringer as well - and it's the only thing besides water that I use to clean my cast iron. Gets all the gunk and leaves the seasoning. I think you can get them for less then $15 on Amazon as well. Look for cast iron chain mail and you should find it.
    yeah seeing lots of options on Amazon.  See a few circular scrunchie ones that look good.
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm pretty stingy on new egg toys, but I think I want a cast iron skillet.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    It's so much more than just an egg toy.  You can use it anywhere.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Acn said:
    BYS1981 said:
    It's so much more than just an egg toy.  You can use it anywhere.
    That's exactly why I  want it, it isn't limited to the egg or range. 
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited July 2015
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    Check Walmart. They have some basic Lodge pieces for good prices.

http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=lodge cast iron&cat_id=0&facet=retailer:Walmart.com&sort=price_low

I just got this 12" skillet which fits on the large for $20.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • northGAcock
    Options
    If you are a camper (which i use to be), there is nothing like the smell of bacon in the morning being cooked out side on the CI skillet. Can't you just smell it?

• DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    Bought the Cabelas 16" skillet, and have to say, not the smoothest surface on the inside.  Took my orbital sander to it, and MUCH smoother now.  And now going through a seasoning process, last time did like 5 or 6 seasonings with flax oil and cooking in the oven.  Came out great.  Only issue is the family asking what's up with all the stinky cooking going on.
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You could season it in the egg.  Just egg something for dinner then put it in while the egg shuts down.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    You could season it in the egg.  Just egg simething for dinner then put it in while the egg shuts down.
    Yeah might do one of the seasonings tonight, as we might do pizza on the egg.  Plans subject to change based on what all the gals I live with decide later.
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    I couldn't imagine not owning CI. It's a staple for my style of cooking. 
  • nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    Options
    What size cast iron skillet fits in a large spider with legs up for searing