Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Football Season Almost Here - college or pro?

123457»

Comments

• Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Gobble Gobble. I'm ready for football, which means cooler weather is close by as well.

Go Hokies! We open up with a little team from Ohio that is looking for revenge after Beamer & the boys went to Columbus last year and got a victory. 

In Bud we trust.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    FSU sure is making headlines. That makes 2 in a week. Wow!
    http://m.news4jax.com/news/report-fsu-running-back-investigated-for-battery/34099386
    Oh, that's nothing.  Like Bobby Bowden used to say:

"Boys will be boys!"
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SmokeytheEGG
    SmokeytheEGG Posts: 149
    I torture myself every year.
    UGA
    Atlanta Falcons 
    Hope for miracles.
    Blue Ridge, GA
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    FSU was Free Shoes Univ back in my day.  But Bobby kept them in check.  Miami were the thugs!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Chief9
    Chief9 Posts: 141
    Carolina Panthers all day long
    Carrollton, Va
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    YEMTrey said:
    Oh, that's nothing.  Like Bobby Bowden used to say:

"Boys will be boys!"
    And thieves will be thieves....
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Lived in Broward County when the Dolphins went undefeated back in the 70's moved to Alabama in 74....been Auburn fans ever since. War Eagle and hope the fish get their s##t together this year. Anyway still fans of both.  ;)

Opelika, Alabama
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    UGA
    Atlanta Falcons 
    Hope for miracles.
    How long will Richt last if they don't get to the championship?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • College - Hello... Alabama
    Pro - Falcons
    NBA - Hawks
    College BB - still pull for Alabama but not much to cheer for in a while.  Interesting hire in Avery Johnsom 
    Suwanee Georgia - suburb north of Atlanta
  • YukonRon
    Thinking SmokeytheEGG said:
    UGA
    Atlanta Falcons 
    Hope for miracles.

Thinking UGA might just be the team to beat this year. Best group of linebackers, best offensive line, depth strong defense. They are my pick for the East of the SEC.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    YukonRon said:
    UGA
    Atlanta Falcons 
    Hope for miracles.
    How long will Richt last if they don't get to the championship?
    He's there as long as he wants to be. 
  • YukonRon
    Yeah, Mark Richt has it going on. He has a good program every year with a couple of great seasons along the way. Keeps a coach around most places for a long time.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Good topic!  Football season can't get here soon enough for me.  I like the NFL (Steelers), but I LOVE college football (Notre Dame) above all else.  GO IRISH! 

This will be my first season with my BGE, so I'm highly anticipating the opening weekend.  The Irish will be hookin' the Texas Longhorns in game one so I've been thinking about doing my first brisket for the Texas game?

Looks like lots of SEC fans around here.  While I love ND, I've got a lot of family in Tennessee.  My parents have season tickets to the Vols, so I'll be going to Tennessee vs. Oklahoma and Tennessee vs. UGA in Knoxville this year.  One of our favorite spots for BBQ while at the game is joint called Sweet P's in Knoxville.  Anyone else ever been there?
    Todd - Smoking on my LBGE in Elkridge, MD

GO IRISH!  Onward to Victory!
  • YukonRon
    Brisket for the Texas game ( or any game ) is a must. I have to admit I have been holding out to do the same. I figure with all the weekends coming up I will get it down pretty well by my Super Bowl and College championship games.
    I, too, love Football, and football season.
    MBW, tolerates it, but she just loves the food.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    FSU was Free Shoes Univ back in my day.  But Bobby kept them in check.  Miami were the thugs!
    Second part still stands true.  We have a long standing volatile rivalry. No love for the Canes. 

https://youtu.be/KobQ8SM_FTg

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • YukonRon
    Second part still stands true.  We have a long standing volatile rivalry. No love for the Canes. 

https://youtu.be/KobQ8SM_FTg

Miami broke all the rules back in the day. Sent a core of players to the league, where trouble always found them. Lack of discipline killed them. Teams that beat them, beat them playing as a team, not by stars.
    IMO football is the ultimate team sport.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Just saw the SEC Football Media Days with Steve Spurrier. If I was reading him right, with him at 69, and his topic of his retirement being on the horizon, I am thinking this trip may be indeed one of last. The new DC hire, and the new players he has brought in, speaks greatly of preparing to start grooming another to be the "Ol' Ball Coach." He took a couple of shots at other programs, and admitted last years results were hard to swallow. It will be a shame to see him go if he does, and a big shadow for the next coach to get out from under. He thinks they will be top ten. Coming from Spurrier, I do not doubt it. A couple of late game losses being up two scores goes the other way, they could have played in Atlanta. Big O Line, Great running backs, I bet he keeps it on the ground and plays possession more, to keep the defense off the field AMAP. Just needs a QB to control the game by bubble screens, and handing it off to their stable of AA Rbs.
    Never count this guy out.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Never been a big Spurrier fan, but I can admit that he's great for college football.  He's always got a clip for the opposing team's bulletin board right on the tip of his tongue. I always remember him taking shots at UT by saying things like, "You can't spell Citrus Bowl without a UT!"  He's been humbled a bit over the last season or two though.

• DoubleEgger
    I didn't like Spurrier until he came to SC and I saw him on the news everyday when I lived there. He's a straight shooter and doesn't put up with BS. He had to do a lot of house cleaning after grandpa Holtz left town. He turned around a program that Holtz ran into the ground. 

Spurrier was a lot more humble after getting his ass handed to him coaching pro ball. 
  • YukonRon
    @onward_2_victory : As you had stated, not a fan of him personally, but the guy is a cult. He changed the SEC while at Florida, changed college football for that matter. I have kind of watched this guy, almost from the day I fell in love with the sport. He won the Heisman, Coached national championships, then his pride was hammered when he went to the Pro's. He had to come back to college for self redemption, and to maintain a legacy. I wonder if the rebuilding project at USC was for his ego? I think it has not gone as he had expected, and now having a bit more of a difficult time to recruit a quality SEC type QB. He is now rebuilding his original rebuilding project. Ego is a monster that is impossible to crush. His book when he retires will sell in large numbers.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    edited July 2015
    My joke isn't nearly as funny with a Vanilla edit so I tossed it.....
  • @YukonRon You make a great point about his difficulty recruiting a quality QB at USC.  Surprisingly, that's the one position I would have thought he'd have no trouble recruiting after being a Heisman winning QB himself, coaching a pretty high powered college offense, and coaching quite a few quality "college" QB's at UF.  That really does seem to be one of his biggest issues since returning to the college game.

• leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Alabama Crimson Tide right here!! Don't follow NFL not any heart in it to me. RT
    Dyersburg, TN
  • YukonRon
    MSU Coach finished his Media days Meeting and his players cited Kentucky as the team on the rise in the SEC. Admittingly I am a UK fan, but really? What about UT? MSU said any team in the west could be national champion this year, and said the SEC is loaded as a conference.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Saw this today. Kind of getting out of hand.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    leemschu said:
    Alabama Crimson Tide right here!! 
    Amen and Roll Tide!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• YukonRon
    SGH said:
    leemschu said:
    Alabama Crimson Tide right here!! 
    Amen and Roll Tide!!
    Bama had their media day today for the SEC. Over 2000 press passes were given out, and this guy....

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky