Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

temperature controller

Options
lmd
lmd Posts: 17
I'm thinking about getting a temperature controller for my large egg.    Anyone have any experience with the Auber unit?    I've been looking at it, the BBQ Guru and the Pitmaster IQ units.

Comments

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Don't forget the Flame Boss units.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've had the Auber Instruments controller for the past 5 years.  It's a no frills controller but that's what I wanted. Something that has a digital readout and that would control the egg for overnights.  I just bought additional adapter plates for my XL and Small yesterday. The Auber does get a little fussy in the winter cold.  Usually 20 degrees and under. I just wrap a couple towels around the controller and it chugs along.  Is it the perfect pit controller? No, but for the price it's been a workhorse while I sleep peacefully without worrying about temp fluctuation.  

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    I bought the FlameBoss 200 and CyberQ. Working on comparing them both. Will post a link to my results when I am done.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • lmd
    Options
    I'm primarily looking for something that is simple to use and reliable.   
  • RollTideRob
    RollTideRob Posts: 139
    Options
    My party q is simple and works like a champ
    Large, Medium

Heflin, AL
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    lmd said:
    I'm primarily looking for something that is simple to use and reliable.   

Give me a call, just sent you a PM with my phone number.  Lots of options, just easier to talk about them on the phone.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I, too, am very happy with my party q.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • lmd
    Options
    Maybe the party q and a set of rechargeable batteries would be a good combo?
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    My cyber q wifi was a complete waste of money. I never could get the wireless to work and I'm just using it to control the pit temp.  Wish I had gotten something like the party Q and an Igrill for monitoring meat temps
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    The party Q is simple and works great. I also have the CyberQ wifi, it took a bit to get it working in infrastructure mode, but love being able to watch and control the temps from anywhere..
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    Options
    lmd said:
    Maybe the party q and a set of rechargeable batteries would be a good combo?
    This is what I am doing.  Works like a charm.
    LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    @smbishop, Hey Scott, haven't seen you here in quite a while (or I'm just losing it!).  Great to see your post.
    How's life in Texas?  Do  you miss thke PNW?
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    Stoker by Rocks BBQ- Love it, was a pain for me to set up, but worth it--had the opportunity to use a Digi Que this weekend- nice, but not even close- Look for something that will expand, and don't discount Wi Fi and remote monitoring, love being able to monitor and make adjustments remotely
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    @jaydub58 thanks for the shout out!  Lurking here, rarely post, still on the other forum.  2 years in Texas has been great!  Great egg weather!  Heading back up to WA next week for some camping
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • tsimonis
    tsimonis Posts: 3
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have the QMaster Senior (China import) and I could not be happier.
    1. $178 shipped
    2. Monitors both Pit and Meat temperatures
    3. Not wireless
    Read through a bunch of reviews and this seemed to be the best compromise, while not spending over $200 shipped.

Used it for a Leg of Lamb I did this weekend and the meat probe was spot on. It is the second best upgrade to my Egg. The 1st being the Fishbone!

Good luck!!!
  • DeltaNu1142
    DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266
    Options
    My cyber q wifi was a complete waste of money. I never could get the wireless to work and I'm just using it to control the pit temp.
    That differs from my experience. I've got mine set up in infrastructure mode, using Pit Pal as an interface. From day 1, it's been performing well. Besides, I like the temp charts that Pit Pal produces and the cook data it keeps. I can always go back & see how long that 5-lb Boston butt took to get to 160 degrees, or how big a brisket I used in that one cook I did last year.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • MelSharples
    MelSharples Posts: 260
    Options
    I bought the Flame Boss 200 from @stlcharcoal a few weeks back, set up was a breeze and the unit is simple to operate.  Jonathan was great to work with and Michael at Flame Boss was prompt and helpful when I ran into a small hiccup.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm still trying to decide if I want to invest in a controller. Manual mode has been working pretty well over the years, but the overnight cooks are sometimes a pain. Flameboss, Stoker, and the BBQ Gurus all seem like good choices, but then there tons of other options as well. The hard thing for me to grasp is what the actual differences are. Really all these units are, are controllers with PID logic. So whats the difference? The group that did a better job fine tuning their PID loop? I guess the associated software, charts/graphs/adjustable setpoints, and WiFi are really what stand the units apart. 
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    get in touch with Jonathan @stlcharcoal....  he will be able to give you the pros and cons of each.  He's a great guy!

BTW - I need to place an order with him if you do talk to him.  I'll call later this week!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• vchelf
    vchelf Posts: 95
    Options
    I have the Stoker by Rock's BBQ. I found it easy to set up for WiFi access. I like that I can control and monitor from my iPhone or iPad. Not the cheapest gadget in the world but it has room for plenty of probes and it works great.
    Victor Chelf
    Houston, TX

Just one Large BGE
    Visit my Victor's Vittles blog - dedicated to my Big Green Eggventures

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    byrne092 said:
     The hard thing for me to grasp is what the actual differences are. Really all these units are, are controllers with PID logic. So whats the difference? The group that did a better job fine tuning their PID loop? I guess the associated software, charts/graphs/adjustable setpoints, and WiFi are really what stand the units apart. 
    @byrne092 good question.  i doubt they publish their PID code, but I bet it's based on the standard, publicly available libraries.  (google "github pid")  If you're into arduino, you could build your own HeaterMeter
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    blind99 said:
    byrne092 said:
     The hard thing for me to grasp is what the actual differences are. Really all these units are, are controllers with PID logic. So whats the difference? The group that did a better job fine tuning their PID loop? I guess the associated software, charts/graphs/adjustable setpoints, and WiFi are really what stand the units apart. 
    @byrne092 good question.  i doubt they publish their PID code, but I bet it's based on the standard, publicly available libraries.  (google "github pid")  If you're into arduino, you could build your own HeaterMeter
    That's interesting stuff, I just took a quick look on my phone, but that might even be a little bit above me. All in all, the same principles per se. I do building automation/temperature controls for a living so this stuff is kind of in the wheelhouse. Just like everything now, the hardware is there, it's just how pretty and user friendly the manufacturer wants to make it. 

St. Louis, MO
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I had a BBQ Guru wireless Procom. I could access the programming menu's and see the PID loop values and adjust them if I thought they needed it. I never had to make any adjustments to the loop. It worked well enough with the default settings.

With that being said, if you don't know anything about PID loop control, I can't think of anything that is more complicated to setup. I don't think all temp controls for the BGE are equal. They all work, however some will control the temp closer to setpoint than others. This is all a function of the skill and time put into the PID loop setup by the programmer. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Insofar as the actual process of cooking a low and slow over many hours, the time-weighted average temperature is the main variable that determines the cooking time (excluding a dozen other variables like the weight, shape and quality of the meat). 

I wouldn't sweat the PID programming, it's going to look like a little like a sine wave if you zoom in on it.  Temperature fluctuations over a long cook really don't make much difference in the quality of the cook.  What does make a difference is pulling the meat in the window where it's best done and how you handle it post cooking/serving. 
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @GregW definitely agree, but in the grand scheme of things @nolaegghead is exactly right too. Because temperature fluctuation over a 12-18 hour cook is not going to make a huge difference, unless you are over/under shooting by 50+ degrees, which is not going to happen if you buy ANY pit controller (I would be asking for my money back). So it goes back to the basics as nola alluded to, cooking to the proper doneness and preparations of the meat. So back to the original question. All the controllers are going to do the task at hand, keeping the pit temperature near the desired setpoint; so all you need to decide is on the extra bells and whistles that are meaningful to you (2 pit control, WiFi, "open-lid detection", # of probe connections, etc). Sorry for not really answering, but like I said before, I am trying to determine what I want myself. Lots of good options out there.

St. Louis, MO
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I compared several of them on paper. Never was able to get my hands on any on them. The Stoker ended up being my choice. Wasn't hard to set up on the wifi. Still have to set it up for internet control and monitoring for when I need to run out for a little while. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• EggcitedinNJ
    Options
    FWIW, I recently bought the Flame Boss 200 and have been very happy with it. I had a wifi connectivity problem at first and Michael at FB was very responsive. Other than that it works as advertised and is easy to set up.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have the new Flame Boss 200 and older Stoker.
    Was thinking about buying new wi fi Stoker  because of the perceived better wi fi strength because of its external antennas. Went with FB in the end because of their strong customer service. Would be great to hear from someone who has tested the range of both.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • EggMax
    EggMax Posts: 4
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You will all say I am crazy but I built my own.   Google HEATERMETER.   It's not simple but as a getting older tetchy I wanted to prove I could do it.   It has a pit probe and 3 meat probes.  Pit probe is based on thermocouple technology (so it is like an instant read thermometer). It is wireless.  The unit will run in fan only mode or pure convection.  In convection mode the vent opening is controlled by a servo (the fan is off).  I can zone it in to a stable 225 temp no problem.   My old PartyQ is sitting on a shelf in the garage.  As a side note I did make a battery eliminator for the PartyQ out of and old cell phone charger. It's easy to do.