Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What DON'T you like....

Options
about your Egg (s). If our L is loaded with smaller stuff, say the remnants from cleaning it out a few times, it seriously struggles to get up to temperature.  If you scoop this stuff out and drop it, along with more charcoal of the same size,  into our XL it will reach pretty much any temp....perhaps not pizza temp but will hit 375* with no troubles.

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I'm not happy with the startup time of my Egg(s).   I'm using starter blocks and don't want to mess around with a weed burner/propane tank.  I use one starter block in the Egg, go inside prep the food and still have to wait on the Egg. 
    I would like to find a way to start my Egg so that by the time I'm done prepping the food in the kitchen and I head back out it's ready to go.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    What??
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options

I don't like that I don't have one in every size.  I don't like that it was kind of expensive, but I've gotten over that and it has paid itself off in my mind.  I don't like that it's not in a table, but that's on me.  I don't like that accessories are expensive, but then again, I don't have to buy them. 

It wasn't hard to come up with some reasons to not "like" something, but it is much easier to come up with reasons to like my Egg.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    I wish I could cool it down when I f-up and overshoot with food on
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    I'm not happy with the startup time of my Egg(s).   I'm using starter blocks and don't want to mess around with a weed burner/propane tank.  I use one starter block in the Egg, go inside prep the food and still have to wait on the Egg. 
    I would like to find a way to start my Egg so that by the time I'm done prepping the food in the kitchen and I head back out it's ready to go.
    I mostly use the starter blocks too. If you use multiple blocks in a few spots in the egg it can be a little quicker. I'll use 1 block for slow and low and 3-4 for regular grilling. It seems faster to me this way but I'm still doing some waiting.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Check out the eggcelerator- I have a buddy that has one and it heats up the egg crazy fast. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @Legume, great point!  If you don't love your egg pm me so I can buy it.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I still use an electric starter. 7 minutes and I pull it and close dome with vents wide open til I hit my temp. Quick, clean, and easy. 

Little Rock, AR

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Looftlighter......
    GWN
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    My biggest gripe is the all-or-nothin' setup constraints.  Did Lucys on the Weeber yesterday and it's nice to move things around flipping and searing, controlling momentum of the cook by the off heat zone sans lid.  Going from 18" to 22" is also rewarding.  Will be thinning the egg collection down in the near future to a Large, OTG, and WSM.   A Jumbo Joe will be added again for camping now that a Pelican Bass Raider will be occupying the truck bed. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Cost, here; like Sookie that part's been pretty much forgotten by now.

The other: every once in awhile, with both my Large and Small, something odd happens, it won't reach temp, or won't hold temp, or will skyrocket in temp for no damn reason.
    This has gotten rare with experience, KABs, and diligence, but still, every once in awhile, Mr. Egg just goes completely Stupid and I don't know why.  
    Kinda like Life.  I'll live with it.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    How about a digital controller? Set the temp you want and it uses a fan to get it up to temp for you and hold it there.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• bgebrent
    Options
    I also use the electric starter, 8 minutes then leave it open a bit for hotter cook or close the lid, vents wide open ano then slow it down 50 degrees below target temp
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    @YEMTrey, I've overcome that problem by using 4 firestarters when I'm in a hurry. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    My small takes a long time to come to temp and has difficulty reaching high temps.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    People still use firestarters? You guys should try the paper towel trick. Soooo soo easy and you save a lot of money. If you use firestarters, you have to give it a try at least once. I take two paper towels, fold them at the tear line so they're stacked on each other, and pour a tablespoon or so of veggie oil on top. Any oil will work. Whatever you have laying around. Fold it together and squeeze a time or two, and then unfold and tear the two apart and crinkle into a ball. Throw on and light! 
    NW IOWA
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    It freakin rocks
    NW IOWA
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    YEMTrey  I have had very good results from placing the coals in a chimney and putting the lit starter block underneath. By the time I am done with prep I have a chimney full of glowing coals.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Weber compact chimney. One starter cube under the charcoal chimney for five minutes then dump and go another five minuted with the dome open. I can be up to four or five hundred in fifteen minutes total. 

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Why not a weed burner? Harbor Freight has them cheap. I used to complain about the start up time too until I got the weed burner. Stop putting it off, you'll thank yourself.

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    edited July 2015
    Options
    YEMTrey said:

Map torch if I'm lighting for a low and slow,  if I'm grilling and want a nice even bed of coals all the way across the top.... it's weed burner for me!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I've settled in on using 91% alcohol. Leave egg open , squirt a little, light, and when I come back....ready to adjust for target temp...no problems. Usually goes right to the target within a few minutes. Of course I do use Rockwood, so everything works perfectly every time !!!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Big Green Egg prices are getting rediculous. $400 for a mini and now $700 for a small.  I bought my large for $700 a little over 5 years ago 

All Big Green Eggs should include a table nest at no extra cost (Since they eliminated BGE feet) 

and 

All nests should include the nest handler

Can anyone say money grab?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Options
    Not a "don't like" as much as an "I wish I could", but I wish I could do rotisserie cooking on the egg.  
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    @YEMTrey I put 3 starters in that are 120 degrees apart.  One thing I changed recently was putting the starters closer together.  My start up time has decreased significantly.  When I put them farther apart, I would get 3 individual hot spots.  Putting them closer together would give me one area of lit coals and comes to temp quicker.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I hate the lower vent slider. I know it should fit tight but the fact it is difficult to slide and has those sharp edges is a very poor design, You would think they could make one that is airtight yet easy to move... other than that it work pretty good. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    I hate the lower vent slider. I know it should fit tight but the fact it is difficult to slide and has those sharp edges is a very poor design, You would think they could make one that is airtight yet easy to move... other than that it work pretty good. 
    And on mine... the outer door can be pulled easily so the left edge is no longer over the screen. Getting it back over the screen can be a real PITA.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I don't like that mine is only a medium and not a larger one.  :)
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My new and improved egg would have the following:
    1. A better lower vent as Skiddy mentioned. 
    2. A Rutland gasket factory installed. 
    3. The BGE DFMT should be rebuilt so the average user can open the egg and not have the thing flop open. Not many people know about the 90 degree trick.