Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Noob question - new lump on top of or under old?

Options
HofstraJet
HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
edited July 2015 in EggHead Forum
Probably a dumb question, but here goes: when topping off lump, do you put the new lump over or under the old? If under, how do you do that logistically without removing the old?
Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
Twitter: @ Bags
Blog: TheJetsFan.com

Comments

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    I don't think it matters...I stir old lump to shake ash out and pour fresh lump on top. Seems to work fine. 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Just stir around your old lump to get rid of the ash. Then put your new stuff right on. Don't dump it from the bag as you'll get dust which can affect your air flow.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    +1 what Cparktx said. 

McKinney, TX
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    I stir the old lump to shake out the old ash as well, however when I add the new lump I'll stir it all again to mix the old lump in with the new. I find that this helps to reduce hot spots in the lump. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Stir,dump and light.  A lot of people will sort their lump according to size or dump into a screen to get rid of the dust, not me.  That is too much work,plus the fines also put off heat when they are burning.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have a KAB and shook that over the trash can first and then placed new lump on top. First burger attempt coming up. 
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    @Mattman3969, have you ever had 70 degree quick dome temp shifts accompanied by intake flame blow outs?  I've experienced this twice and can only correlate dumping lump silt into my egg. Look forward to your thoughts. Don't want to steal the thread.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I've seen what you are describing as "Intake flame blowout" when I have let the fire get to big before closing the dampers down or when shutting the dome while doing sears but I never contributed it to the fines.  
      I can see where you could have these problems from what you call silt if the bottom of the bag is full dust, my bags generally don't have more than 2 cups or so of dust.  If for some reason it is excessive I will just give it a quick stir after its in the egg and then light it.   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I just pour from the bag right on top of old....after stirring a little to help old ash fall through the grate. Never have a problem.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    ^^^^ + 1
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I'll light the half burned stuff with a torch first since it's easier to light, then dump the new charcoal on top of that.  Heat travels up, so it will be a faster start up in both respects.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Don't over think it for short cooks.

For low and slows, some say to place the larger chunks in the middle. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    There's my answer^^^from @stlcharcoal - old lump is much easier to light, so I always light the old stuff, build a little "fort" around the fire so the new lump doesn't put out that small flame. 

Used lump will then fire up the old lump more efficiently from the bottom.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    The main reason I got my KAB for my large was to make clean up easier and for new lump.  I'll be buying one for the small once available 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota