Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizzas

Options
I tried cooking pizza tonight on my green egg pizza stone.  Had temp around 550-600.  What do I do to keep the bottom of the pizza from burning? 

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm thinking the cooking grate (with the pizza stone on it) needed to be higher in the dome. Can you post a picture of how you had things set up?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited July 2015
    Options
    DKReale said:
    What do I do to keep the bottom of the pizza from burning? 
    Real simple answer, make your own dough with a higher amount of H2O content.  That's the best way.  Otherwise, if your using premade doughs, you need to keep your temps way down and don't preheat your pizza stone as long.  In the long run, making your own dough is the way to go.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Cook platesetter legs down and have something to create an airspace undewr the stone.  I use foil balls (3) to keep my stone elevated.  Allow stone to heat up...and good luck!  I prefer starting my pizzas on parchment paper, then I remove the paper after 3-4 mins and finish on the stone
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    also I gave up on super high temps....500-525f works just fine
  • DKReale
    DKReale Posts: 9
    Options
    Do you use corn meal on pizza stone? 
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    edited July 2015
    Options

Give this a try, this will make one 12" pie.  You can't burn the bottom with this recipe.  I've had my grill stone (750+):

1.25 cups flour
    1/2 cup water
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon instant yeast

Combine 75% flour(1 cup), water, salt & yeast. 
    Mix on lowest speed for 1-2 minutes (Should be wet, consistency of batter). 
    Cover and let sit for 20 minutes.  
    Now mix on low for 5 minutes. 
    Start adding the remaining 25% flour(1/4 cup) for the next 3 minutes with increased speed to 1/3 power. 
    Let rest 10 minutes. 
    Hand kneed into a ball and chill overnight or up to 6 days. 
    Take out of fridge at least 90 minutes before use. 
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    DKReale said:
    No. Cornmeal (or flour or better yet, semolina) is to be sprinkled on the peel to keep the dough from sticking. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DKReale
    DKReale Posts: 9
    Options
    Great thanks guys! I'll give this a try 
  • BIll-W221
    BIll-W221 Posts: 279
    Options
    i'm just learning and i have been shooting for 500-550
  • AlexKeenan
    AlexKeenan Posts: 19
    Options
    My daughter the bread gremlin and I tend to make bread at Eggfests. We make many types of dough's and burning of the bottom can always be a issue.
    We tend to cook on parchment paper. We let the dough rise on the paper and it all goes on the pizza stone with the temp 400 to 450 depending and size of loafs.

As for water content in the dough you have some room to play with when making your own dough. If you are using very moist dough you will want to form it before it rises and let it rise on parchment paper. The more moisture in the dough the more it sticks to everything!. Because very moist dough can be hard to work with. Some people will use dough the is chilled in frig and slow rises. It can be worked when cold and again allowed to rise on parchment paper.

Another thing I have found is that all pizza stones are not the same.
    We generally are using the plat setter with feet up. I like to cook on a very hard pizza stone. I also have one of the big green egg pizza stone. They do not cook the same! I have to adjust times and temps depending on which I use. I also make sure I have half fire bricks. Some times I put the half fire bricks under the pizza stone so the edges are hotter than the center.

Another thing is the charcoal. I ran into an issue this weekend with getting the bottom of the bag loaded into the egg I was using for baking. It was really hard to maintain temperature. If you are baking you really want to cherry pick your charcoal and save the nice large pieces every time you grill. These nice large solid pieces are the ones you want to use for cooking dough. They will give you much better control of temp which you need for cooking dough.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    DKReale said:
    I don't use corn meal or parchment at all.  I use a wood pizza peel and rub a little flour in.  Move the formed dough to the peel and quickly assemble. Give it a little shake every 30 seconds or so to make sure it's not sticking. If your pizza stone is preheated it won't stick to that either.  Good luck!
    Packerland, Wisconsin