Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with low temps for smoking

Options
lmd
lmd Posts: 17
How do you guys prefer to light the egg for smoking (temps of 250-275)

It seems a lot of people recommend lighting the egg, and then closing the vents as the target temperature is reached.    However, the problem is only a portion of the charcoal is initially lit, and as additional coals eventually light they may produce bad smoke.

The other option is to light all the coals and overshoot the temperature so all the coals are ready, but this method requires a long wait for the egg's temp to drop back to smoking range.    

Is there a better way?

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    The "bad smoke", which is caused by the VOC's burning off, will go away (usually) in 1/2 hour or so. It is not necessary for all of the lump to be lit for this to happen. It is the overall heat, produced by the lump that is burning, that does the job.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Im not an expert on the science behind this but its an accurate explanation.  The bad smoke is caused by Volatile Organic Compounds or VOCs.  These VOCs burn off at a temperature, they do not require the lump to be lit.  So even if you had a small amount of lump burning, the VOCs will boil off of all the lump. 

So to answer your question, bring the egg to the temperature you want, wait for the bad smoke to clear, then smoke away.  There is no need to overshoot the temperature and then bring it back down.  Not that I have'nt done this by mistake!  :s
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,382
    edited July 2015
    Options
    As you initially describe, that's the way to go.  There is no problem with VOC's (the bad smoke) once the initial bad smoke clears and the remaining (almost invisible) smoke smells good.  VOC's burn off with any heat stimulus-the environment in the BGE once you light it up is enough to clear them out, regardless of the cook temperature.  Just trust the smell-"smells good, is good".  No need to get it all fired up.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lmd
    lmd Posts: 17
    Options
    At what temperature are the VOCs gone?    And I realize it will take time for all the coals to internally reach whatever the temperature is.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,382
    Options
    The temperature varies depending on the VOC make-up.  Just go with the smell of the smoke.  I'm sure Google will give you a whole lot more meaningful information.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    lmd said:
    At what temperature are the VOCs gone?    And I realize it will take time for all the coals to internally reach whatever the temperature is.
    Don't overthink it.  Relax and have fun
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA