Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time ordering name brand commercial rubs, what should I get first? Any must tries?

Options
So I'm about to order some commercial rubs for the first time. Usually use stuff found in the grocery store or the hardware stores grill section. For my last 2 pork butt smokes, I used this stuff.

http://www.thekansascitybbqstore.com/products/cowtown-the-squeal-hog-rub

My local Ace sells it. Good rub, but at $6 + tax for a 6.5oz jar, its pretty pricey.

The big 2 commercial rub providers I keep seeing pop up is Dizzy Pig and Meat Church. I can only get a variety pack of rubs from one or the other at this time.

Which do you recommend? Of their entire offerings, which are must haves? Any other commercial rub recommendations?

It would probably help to list what I plan to cook. In the next month, my low and slow BBQs will be smoking a chuck roast for pulled beef, maybe a pork butt somewhere, and definitely some ribs. Standard day to day cooks will include, chicken breasts, pork chops, spatchcock chickens, burgers and dogs/sausages. I usually cook veggies/sides on the grill as well, so any you recommend for the side stuff will be considered as well.

Thanks!
Brace yourself,
DinnerIsComing
 XLBGE
22" Weber Kettle
Weber Spirit E-310 Propane Gasser
The Webers make for nice Eggcessory storage bins!

Comments

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Meat Church is great!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• txhawkeye
    txhawkeye Posts: 279
    Options
    You can't go wrong with Butt Rub
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Some of my favorites. I have a huge selection but could do it all with these and basic seasonings. 

I really think the dizzy pig's are over priced and over rated....... (drop the mic..... walk away)......

XLBGE 
  • DinnerIsComing
    Options
    @MrCookingNurse Appreciate the honesty about Dizzy Pig! You're the first naysayer I've seen but I will say I've seen Meat Church pop more in peoples blogs/recipes than Dizzy Pig.

I like Meat Church's pricing better, I know that.
    Brace yourself,
    DinnerIsComing
     XLBGE
    22" Weber Kettle

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I'm a huge Joh Henry fan. They have about 50 rubs and all are great. The hot sugar maple is one of my favorites on butts. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

I usually make my own rubs, but Dizzy Pig's selection for seasonings is really high quality stuff.  I use a lot of their Raging River on fish; and Cow Lick on beef.  Their Fajita'ish and Mediterranean'ish are really good as is Shakin the Tree and Pineapple.

Everything I've tried for rubs is always WAY too salty.  So I make my own.

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Oh, I almost forgot John Henry. Great stuff. I think it's regional but a great one is the Alabama Butt Rub. Dizzy pig is a quality product, I think I have one of each but hardly use them and have found cheaper/better things. 

XLBGE 
  • Gonnaneedabiggeregg
    Options
    Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom.  It's the go to rub for great wings.  Blues Hog is great on butts.
    South Jersey / XL Egg
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    I usually make my own also but do like the DizzyPig rubs. While they still have a lot of salt, they aren't nearly as salty as a lot of the other ones out there.  I have heard a lot of good things about MeatChurch but haven't tried it yet. 
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Money rub from Big poppa smoker is my favorite chicken and rib rub. Bad Byrons butt rub is my go to butt rub. And I still like having a ton of options for variety.

But if I had to buy just one commercial rub it would be MONEY
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • PlanoPokes79
    PlanoPokes79 Posts: 207
    Options
    John Henry pecan and add garlic or black pepper. ...nuff said.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Head Country rub and sauce. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've heard a lot of good stuff about Meat Church over the past few months, but have not had a chance to try them. I notice they don't offer sampler packs.

I've been using DP rubs for years now, and wouldn't be without several of them. DP does offer sampler packs. Also, Egger Smokin' Guitar Player at Tasty Licks BBQ offers his own samplers, as well as DPs. Those might be a good way to get an idea of how different blends work w. different foods.

John Henry's is good too, but there were a couple that I wasn't thrilled by. There was an all pupose herbal blend that I used right up on just about everything.

Penzey's has a good selection, and another branch of the family runs a place called the Spice House. I like their "Bronzeville Rib Rub" a lot.

I hate to say this, but $6 bucks for 6.5 oz is a steal if its not mostly sugar and salt. I've paid up to $7/oz for some premium stuff, and there are brands that run 10/oz.

I've been messing w. making my own rubs for awhile. Only decent, but the base is really inexpensive. Sugar, salt, black and cayenne pepper, onion and garlic powder. There are several asian and oriental markets in my area. They sell whole spices very cheaply, and the whole spices have a long shelf life. (I've read nutmeg unground remains good for 100 years.) So I take my base, and grind or mince up some stuff right before using, and add as I like.
  • DinnerIsComing
    DinnerIsComing Posts: 63
    edited July 2015
    Options
    $6/6.5oz may sound like a steal, but it's really not. Also, the #1 ingredient on the rub is salt. I was just pricing the Meat Church 3 lb value pack. 3 1 lb. bags of different rubs for $36.95 delivered to my door. That breaks down to about .78/oz vs the about $1 or more an ounce for store bought stuff. They even say to contact them for 5 lb bulk discounts. So there is even deeper discounting available.

I like John Henry, being a big fan of the "Chicken Tickler" rub in his line but my wife doesn't care for it. She used to be ok with it but after a few cooks with it, she grew a strong dislike for it and now she's written off John Henry all together. Very disappointing as I was very fond of the Chicken Tickler. :disappointed: 
    Brace yourself,
    DinnerIsComing
     XLBGE
    22" Weber Kettle

• biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    edited July 2015
    Options
    For the standard day to day cooks that you mentioned, you can't go wrong with Dizzy Pig.  Try their Dizzy Dust.  My personal favorite is Raging River.   I prefer to make my own but you can't go wrong with any of the suggestions others have recommended.  Good luck.
    LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • DinnerIsComing
    Options
    I think I'm going to buy the Dizzy Pig sampler and Oak Ridge sampler to start. Good price to "try" out a lot of different varieties. If Meat Church had a sampler, I would get one from them as well.

Thanks all for the recommendations. I'll try Meat Church another time.
    Brace yourself,
    DinnerIsComing
     XLBGE
    22" Weber Kettle

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    You can't go wrong with the Dizzy Pig line.  I have and use them all except for the Bombay Curry-ish and that's only because I'm not a fan of curry.  As said above I like rubs that aren't too salty and Dizzy Pig is a perfect fit.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I primarily make my own rubs.. I use a dr bbq recipe, but I have bought dizzy pig and I liked them.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Plowboys Yardbird is a great staple to have in your cabinet.  Great go-to rub for anything.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    For chicken:  Plowboys Yardbird, Dizzy Pig Raging River, Dizzy Pig Jamaican Firewalk, Bone Suckin Rub.

For pork: Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust, Dizzy Pig Raging River

For beef: Schwartz's Beef Seasoning (you have to order from Canada)

Dizzy Pig Raging River is my favorite rub; it is good on everything (cheese, as a rimmer on bloody Ceasars/Mary, etc).  Dizzy Dust and Jamaican Firewalk are also excellent.  I have tried most of their other rubs and while they are good, I don't care too much for them.

Options
    Head country Hot bbq is awrsome

XLBGE 
  • biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    Options
    Any interest in making your own rubs?
    LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • DinnerIsComing
    Options
    I haven't ordered any samplers yet. Still on the fence.

Yes @biggreenrob, I am interested in making my own rubs but I do know that it can get quite expensive, depending on what you're making.

Also, a lot of people have the attitude of why attempt to reinvent the wheel when so many others have already done the experimenting and perfecting.
    Brace yourself,
    DinnerIsComing
     XLBGE
    22" Weber Kettle

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Some of my favorites. 

I couldn't help but to notice the Tony Chacheres above. I go through quite a bit of it myself on fresh seafood and fish. It is excellent on most saltwater fish. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    Where are you located?  Kroger sells Bad Byrons Butt Rub in store down here. I have a bottle of it, Dizzy Pig, and the Costco Rib Rub. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • DinnerIsComing
    Options
    Southwest Florida. Butt Rub is available in stores here. It's ok but not my favorite. Only found one store located on the Dizzy Pig locator near me but based on their site, I question if they sell retail products anymore.
    Brace yourself,
    DinnerIsComing
     XLBGE
    22" Weber Kettle

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I haven't ordered any samplers yet. Still on the fence.

Also, a lot of people have the attitude of why attempt to reinvent the wheel when so many others have already done the experimenting and perfecting.
    There are lots of wheels. Its all a matter of taste, yours and your guests. And the basics are really simple. Salt and smoke. Probably some pepper and something sweet.

For me, I started working on my own rubs when I ran out of commercial, and had to improvise quickly. Panic! Thankfully, my then limited spice cabinet had enough different things to try and fake it. Nothing in there was exotic, except some cloves, and nothing was expensive.

Then there is the matter of combining flavors in the whole meal. A little nutmeg or some lemon grass powder in a few things can tie different portions together.
  • MrCookingNurse
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @SGH Tony's is on our table every meal. Fries, spaghetti, everything.....

I really like the blue one on chicken

XLBGE 
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Southwest Florida. Butt Rub is available in stores here. It's ok but not my favorite. Only found one store located on the Dizzy Pig locator near me but based on their site, I question if they sell retail products anymore.
    If you come to the east side of Alligator Alley, there's a shop in Coral Springs right off of the Sawgrass Expressway that has the full Dizzy Pig line (Grill N Propane). I bought my egg and many eggcessories there. Just ask for Roy.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com