Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st egg, 1st post, 1st butt

Options
So, first let me say thanks to all those who contribute to this site.  The wealth of knowledge has been great, and helped me get my palate back after moving to Cali.  Coming from TX it's a little rough, but the egg is making it a little more like home with each cook.  Anyways, after a few cooks with spatchcock chicken, I ribs, tri-tip, and plenty of pizza I decided to throw down a nice butt for the family.  My house is a TX/Cali mix with the Cali side more interested in ceviche and adobada lol.  I'll admit I was never a big pulled pork guy myself but that's prob from living in TX too long...I want brisket plain and simple. So trying out the overnight with pork on this thing seemed like a smart thing to do before I move on in my cooks.  

I read a lot of different methods on this and tried to keep it simple.  The best ribs I have made so far were Car Wash Mike's and since I had some time to play with on the backend I chose to go straight through with no foil on the butt as well.

I picked up a 7.25# butt and decided to use a mix of Bad Byrons Butt Rub and Dizzy Dust with a mustard base.  I let the rub sit for about 10 hours in the fridge.  Not sure if that is good or not but it seemed to work out.  At about 930pm I lit the fire with peach and pecan wood, and slapped that butt down around 10pm, used a drip pan with water and apple cider vinegar.  I got the green beast setup for about 220 grate temp (I was a little nervous about it finishing too early, since I had to be somewhere between 8 & 9am. 

I woke up at 4a to take the damn dog out and saw that she was holding around 150ish. At 8a everything was still in the 150-160 range so I knew it was stall time.  Got back to the house around 930am and saw her hovering around 165 about an hour later I bumped the temp to 250 grate to hopefully speed everything up.  The last hour of the cook was probably right around 280 just to get the food on the table for the family.  I really have no clue what I doing so I just kept the lid closed the entire 15 hour cook until I saw 200 on both temp probes for the CyberQ.  (Btw if there is a TX crutch that CyberQ sure seems to fit the bill, man that thing is sweet).

Pulled it off and boom here she is with the photos.  I FTC'd her for about an hour and unfortunately only have the post foil shot.  The fam loved it.  She pulled like a champ, was moist, bark was great, and the fat rendered out pretty damn well.  Thanks for all of the help again, the collective knowledge here is amazing.

Side note, I filled the lump like a puzzle well above the firebox.  I won't do that again, since I couldn't believe how much was left after pulling the butt.  I was worried about running out of fuel since I only have the Kickash Basket in there, but apparently this thing really is efficient.  I think it was almost even with the ring when I pulled it off!

Comments

• biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    Options
    Welcome. Nice set up and first post.  The butt looks good. Sorry your dog gets you up at 4am.
    LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    So, first let me say thanks to all those who contribute to this site.  The wealth of knowledge has been great, and helped me get my palate back after moving to Cali.  Coming from TX it's a little rough, but the egg is making it a little more like home with each cook.  Anyways, after a few cooks with spatchcock chicken, I ribs, tri-tip, and plenty of pizza I decided to throw down a nice butt for the family.  My house is a TX/Cali mix with the Cali side more interested in ceviche and adobada lol.  I'll admit I was never a big pulled pork guy myself but that's prob from living in TX too long...I want brisket plain and simple. So trying out the overnight with pork on this thing seemed like a smart thing to do before I move on in my cooks.  

I read a lot of different methods on this and tried to keep it simple.  The best ribs I have made so far were Car Wash Mike's and since I had some time to play with on the backend I chose to go straight through with no foil on the butt as well.

I picked up a 7.25# butt and decided to use a mix of Bad Byrons Butt Rub and Dizzy Dust with a mustard base.  I let the rub sit for about 10 hours in the fridge.  Not sure if that is good or not but it seemed to work out.  At about 930pm I lit the fire with peach and pecan wood, and slapped that butt down around 10pm, used a drip pan with water and apple cider vinegar.  I got the green beast setup for about 220 grate temp (I was a little nervous about it finishing too early, since I had to be somewhere between 8 & 9am. 

I woke up at 4a to take the damn dog out and saw that she was holding around 150ish. At 8a everything was still in the 150-160 range so I knew it was stall time.  Got back to the house around 930am and saw her hovering around 165 about an hour later I bumped the temp to 250 grate to hopefully speed everything up.  The last hour of the cook was probably right around 280 just to get the food on the table for the family.  I really have no clue what I doing so I just kept the lid closed the entire 15 hour cook until I saw 200 on both temp probes for the CyberQ.  (Btw if there is a TX crutch that CyberQ sure seems to fit the bill, man that thing is sweet).

Pulled it off and boom here she is with the photos.  I FTC'd her for about an hour and unfortunately only have the post foil shot.  The fam loved it.  She pulled like a champ, was moist, bark was great, and the fat rendered out pretty damn well.  Thanks for all of the help again, the collective knowledge here is amazing.

Side note, I filled the lump like a puzzle well above the firebox.  I won't do that again, since I couldn't believe how much was left after pulling the butt.  I was worried about running out of fuel since I only have the Kickash Basket in there, but apparently this thing really is efficient.  I think it was almost even with the ring when I pulled it off!

Welcome Cali, the pulled pork looks real good I hope the rest of your cooks are as well

Ross
  • hoofaloos
    hoofaloos Posts: 242
    Options
    Awesome.  It's as easy as that.  Do you happen to post in OB with the same username?
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Good looking cook! Welcome aboard

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    Welcome to the Egg.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• CaliHornia
    Options
    hoofaloos said:
    Awesome.  It's as easy as that.  Do you happen to post in OB with the same username?
    Na lol sorry great minds think alike I guess.  Bevo site?

Thanks again everyone.
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    Well done!
    McKinney, TX
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Yep, a well done cook ... congrats.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    All those wires look like a patient on life support!  End product looks awesome! 
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• hoofaloos
    hoofaloos Posts: 242
    Options
    hoofaloos said:
    Na lol sorry great minds think alike I guess.  Bevo site?

Thanks again everyone.
    yessir
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    Fan-freakin-tastic first post.  Welcome.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Nice :plus_one: 
    Welcome. Nice setup. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Don't know what happened above^^^^^^^. My words vanished. Was trying to say welcome aboard and great looking grub. 

Status- Standing by.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    Great intro and cook.  You will just have to work much harder to find brisket in CA (and pay a whole lot more as well).  Regarding lump loads-within reason you cannot load too much.  You are fine as your remaining lump has already been cured of the VOC's so time to get to "good smoke" is greatly reduced. Just stir it up to make sure you have good air-flow paths and fire it up.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Egg on!

The one pic looks like the side of the dental chair! 

All the wires and stuff! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    SGH said:
    Don't know what happened above^^^^^^^. My words vanished. Was trying to say welcome aboard and great looking grub. 
    @SGH ... Just running up your post count are we?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Brisket exists in California, but at a much higher price than TX. I'm on my mobile version, so if it is in your signature I'm sorry.. what part of CA?
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Looks like you jumped right in with eggcessories, good looking cook and welcome aboard!!
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Nice job and welcome.  If you like the bark (I love it), you can split butts in half, start them in the morning and have pork for dinner.

I was surprised to get brisket here in CA at Walmart, albeit I'm still not sure what the grade was, but it came out decent.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • beachsmoke
    beachsmoke Posts: 644
    Options
    Welcome looks great well done
    Large egg panhandle of florida
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Great looking pork butt! Welcome

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    Welcome. Pork looks great, nice bark!
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Great post! Hope you enjoy and keep sharing. Leftover pulled pork makes for great burritos too. Take leftover pulled pork and warm it up in a nice summer of sofrito sauce. You won't be disappointed 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Super looking butt!
    Black meteorite bark....yum.
    Welcome to the journey.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • CaliHornia
    Options
    Thanks on all of the replies.  I'm down in San Diego and right now my best option seems to be the ole prime cut from Costco.  I'm searching for some good meat markets, but most friends just tell me to go to some place that they had good carne asana from one time.

I definitely went CyberQ right off the bat for future sleep, and the Kickash for ease of cleaning and reusing some lump which I haven't mastered yet.  I convinced my better half I need this and that and she agrees when the food turns out well lol.  I'll admit some things may or may not have popped in from time to time.  Shes already planned out some future pork tacos and much more.  
  • rosco
    rosco Posts: 48
    Options
    @CaliHornia First off welcome! Unfortunately, San Diego does not have a wide variety of brisket retailers. While Costco does occasionally sell prime briskets, they are typically only the flats. I have yet to find a place that stocks prime packer briskets. Iowa Meat Farms, Siesel's Old Fashioned Meats, Sam's Club, and Harvest Ranch always carry packer briskets, and with the exception of Sam's, they can order prime briskets. While prime briskets can be a bit more forgiving, I have had good success with their selection of choice cuts.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Welcome to the forum, and to California sir. You will find that we have our own planet here in Cal. A little different than planet Texas, lol!!

Okay so, pay attention, I want to give you the lowdown on the best meat access in Ca.

Go to KCBS.com, join the Kansas City BBQ Society for $35.00 a month, when you get your card, you can go to Restaurant Depot (Google it) in your area, pay NO sales tax, and get restaurant quality, and quantity, Prime, and choice, and Superior Angus cuts, any day of the week with a day pass. You can go every day if you wish. You go in, check in at front desk, they issue you day pass when you present your KCBS card, simple as that. Think Home Depot, but with food. It beats Costco, and all other warehouse bulk outlets in my opinion.

I get giant cryopacks of tri-tips, briskets, butts, ribs, it's all there. Best value, and quality. Please check into it, you won't regret it!
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "