Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting Used To a Medium!

Options
I got my used medium, which wasn't used very much to begin with. I must say that there is a slight learning curve with it compared to the large. This sucker gets up to temp very fast. I had the top off, bottom full open, and turned my back for just a minute, and was thru the 750 temp gauge in no time. It goes down fairly quickly, too. Will be fun to cook on! I've got the large (and mini) on the back deck, and needed something for the newly renovated front deck....you know...hated to keep running back and forth! What I look forward to doing is a "low and slow" on somethick steaks on the large, bring the medium up to 650-700, and finish them on the front deck and serve them straight to the waiting plates on the front deck dinner table. The options are endless!!
From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Sounds like a great setting you have-enjoy the new addition.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I have a medium and love it. But yes they go hot very fast. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Medium and Mini are my go-to eggs. Love how fast they come to temp. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Let's see some pictures of the set up.....
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Medium is next for me, but don't say a word to MBW. I will will present it as a gift very soon. It could get tense.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    Everybody who has a medium thinks it's the best one if that tells you something.....
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Everybody who has a medium thinks it's the best one if that tells you something.....
    I prefer my XL to my medium. 
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Agreed @DoubleEgger.  I thought the small was the best, then I picked up the medium.  Now trying to figure out if the small just needs to be sold.  I opened it the other day and the cast iron grid, grate, and the grate mates were pretty rusty.

I have even had the dome off of the large to replace the gasket for about 6 months now, I dont even care because the medium and XL are the bomb.
  • Coastalcooker
    Options
    For two people the medium is ideal. It will cook a twelve pound turkey for Thanksgiving and twelve pounds is a lot more than I want. It will cook a big enough butt to serve more people than I usually want around and with a rack can cook plenty of ribs for us and company. Love my medium

Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE