Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Homemade Hot Dog Sausages

Options
paqman
paqman Posts: 4,670
edited July 2015 in EggHead Forum
I followed the Ruhlman's recipe from Charcuterie:

-2.5 pounds (1.25 kg) ground beef
-1/2 ounce (1 tablespoon/15 grams) Kosher salt
-1 teaspoon (7 grams) pink salt (prague powder #1)
-1 cup (250 ml) ice water
-1 tablespoon (9 grams) dry mustard
-2 teaspoons (6 grams) paprika
-1 teaspoon (3 grams) ground coriander
-1/4 teaspoon (2 grams) ground pepper
-1 tablespoon (18 grams) minced garlic
-2 tablespoons (30 ml) corn syrup
-10 feet sheep casing soaked in tepid water for 30 minutes

Day 1:
Spread the meat on a pan and spinkle the kosher salt and pink salts uniformly on the meat.  Transfer to a bowl and mix thoroughly with your hand adding the iced water. Let rest for 24 hours in the refrigerator. 

Day 2:
Spread the meat on a pan and sprinkle the remaining ingredients uniformly on the meat. Mix thoroughly and spread back on the pan.  Place the pan in the freezer for about 30 minutes until the meat is so cold that it is stiff.  Regrind the meat through a small dye.  Spread the meat on a pan and place it in the freezer for 30 more minutes.   Puree the mixture in a food processor for 1-2 minutes until it forms an uniform paste (you may have to do it in 2-3 batches).  Transfer to a bowl in the refrigerator. 

Day 3:
Stuff the mixture into sheep casings and hot smoke (I used apple chunks) until the sausages reach an internal temperature of 140F

Voilà!  They were awesome, I will make that recipe again for sure.  The Kitchen Aid meat grinder is acceptable but the sausage stuffer attachment sucks... I am now looking for a standalone sausage stuffer;  any recommendations? 

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Wow, putting in the work   B)
    Jacksonville FL
  • biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    Options
    Great post!  Looks like you nailed it and then some.  Do the Ruhlman dogs compare to any thing you have had before, or store-bought?  
    LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
    Options
    Wow!!!  Awesome stuff!  Makes me wanna stuff some dogs and sausages!
  • QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Options
    Hoy schneikes!  That is awesome.  I will take a dozen.
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Those look fantastic! You nailed it! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    paqman said:
    The Kitchen Aid meat grinder is acceptable but the sausage stuffer attachment sucks... I am now looking for a standalone sausage stuffer;  any recommendations? 

I too had no luck with the KA stuffer; bought a 5-lb LEM stuffer but [embarrassed] haven't tried it yet; the reviews are good and it's built like a tank.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• paqman
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Great post!  Looks like you nailed it and then some.  Do the Ruhlman dogs compare to any thing you have had before, or store-bought?  
    @biggreenrob The texture was the same as good quality store bought hot dog sausages.   The taste was similar to the larger beef hot dog sausages but much better.  The best comparison I can think of is the sausages from Costco before they changed to a different brand after the mad cow disease "crisis" several years ago.  No filler here, just beef salt and spices.

Options
    Those look great! I haven't had a dog in over two years for health reasons. Wonder what would happen if I drastically reduced the salts in that recipe. Might try it just for grins. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• paqman
    Options
    Those look great! I haven't had a dog in over two years for health reasons. Wonder what would happen if I drastically reduced the salts in that recipe. Might try it just for grins. 
    @Carolina Q As per Ruhlman, the salt is critical to achieve the texture we are looking for in a fot dog.  The salt denatures proteins (myosin) which makes the meat stick together in a paste.  I suspect that if you eliminate or drastically reduce the salt, you would end up with a granular texture.  If you go that route, you may try finding another binder (eggs?).

Options
    Man oh man does that look good. I gotta break out my sausage grinder and stuffer. I recommend the LEM stuffer. Whatever you get, make sure the gears are metal and not plastic.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    That's awesome! That has me craving hot dogs, and that's pretty rare haha
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    That doesn't suck........ in fact has endless posibilities. Those look awsom.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow