Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- rusted griddle

Options
RiverDoc
RiverDoc Posts: 572
needing some advice here. I was at my MILs today and I noticed her griddle sitting in the floor of their gazebo. I asked why it wasn't on her cart that she cooks on in the gazebo and she said it rusted and she was done! So is there any way to clean this up for her? And how do you keep it from rusting? I have been drooling over all the Blackstone posts and am going to buy one, but is this preventable? Any help is greatly appreciated, she cooked on this all the time earlier and she really likes it if it can be saved 
-Todd
Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Can't see how bad the rust is, but shouldn't be a big deal.  Find someone in your area that does blasting.  As in media blasting.  Some glass bead (among many other choices) would clean that right up.  Re-season and I would think you're good to go.

I'd do it for you (free) if you lived near me. Same goes for other forum members.
    Phoenix 
  • RiverDoc
    Options
    Thanks @blasting I was curious if blasting it would work . It's hard to see its got all kinds of " stuff" on it I'm gonna take it and start getting it cleaned up for them

-Todd
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    You're welcome.  I'd like to see how it cleans up for you if you have time to snap an after pic.
    Phoenix 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    It looks like it is made of stainless steel, which should not have rusted, but I also notice some serious deep, scratches. My guess is for some time she has used some ferrous (iron or even steel) tools and though minute over time the iron wears down and fills the tiny voids in the scratches. That iron is what has rusted and can be lifted, but the surface may need to be polished to remove all but the worst scratches and then treat that griddle with kindness! 

If fishlessman wasn't out on the lake somewhere I bet he would chime in here and tell you how to resolve the problem. BTW fishlessman is in the metal biz, but stays away from this forum on the weekends. My advice is give him a holler come Monday.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RiverDoc
    Options
    Will do @RRP ! There is no telling what she has used- thanks
    -Todd
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Rust doesn't hurt anything in cooking.  Scrape any scale off, oil it, and cook.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• RiverDoc
    Options
    I'm going to clean it up some and then post pics of the rust. The first pics are really bad and I just snapped them as it set with lots of debris on it. 
    -Todd
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    You might look for a model number and then Google Avantco - me thinks that is some quality equipment that appears to have been abused. She may have piled ferrous pots or tools on top of it which may explain the rust, but from what I read about Avantco I'm sure it is stainless steel and it isn't junk! Good LUCK!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    looks to me to be a thick carbon steel plate in a stainless housing. the picture isnt good enough to see if its deeply pitted, i would do the initial cleanup with a da sander and see how bad the pitting is. can the plate be removed, if it could i might hit it with a belt sander being careful not to let the ends dig in. the da would work but it might take some time if deeply pitted
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm definitely no expert but it looks like much of it is on the surface.  I think I would start by getting it hot, pouring boiling water on it and scraping off as much as you can.  Perhaps use a putty knife.  Perhaps get some pictures then so you can see what is left on the surface.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    I'm definitely no expert but it looks like much of it is on the surface.  I think I would start by getting it hot, pouring boiling water on it and scraping off as much as you can.  Perhaps use a putty knife.  Perhaps get some pictures then so you can see what is left on the surface.  
    it really does need to be cleaned up better to see if there is any real damage, cant see enough with those pics
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I'll bet a good scrubbing like they do at the Japanese Hibachi places would do it wonders....  Does look like SS, and with the high heat generated on the griddle, will cause it to get surface crudding.  Just like the KAB's will get some surface crusting due to the wide heat swings from blazing hot to room temps - a good scraping and polishing with a fine wire brush will make it look new again!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    Go to RD and buy a box of "grill screens". Usually they are about 4x6in size and will take care of your surface. It is what they use at the Japanese steak house, and I used many years ago during my time at Mickey Ds. Just put a little cooking oil on it and go to work. It may take several attempts to get it back to usable condition. Good luck!

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax