Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

in lieu of bouillon

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
I know there are many brands of bouillon out there, and I think I've tried most of them. What I settled on and believe in strongly is this "Better Than Bouillon" base. Obviously it is a concentrate in a thick paste form and lists no MSG. It runs $3.72 for an 8 oz jar from Wally World. I highly recommend it!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Good tip. Thanks
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Smokin_Hombre
    Options
    I use these too and highly recommend
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Those are great. Also, with all of the Costco discussions, they carry them in a much larger size at a very reasonable price.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • ChuckR
    ChuckR Posts: 248
    Options
    Use it as well. Great product.

Suwanee, GA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    No idea what that stuff tastes like and at an obscene 700 mg of sodium per teaspoon, I will never know! I recently discovered Herb-Ox powdered bouillon (both chicken and beef) with zero sodium. Works for me. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Trixie_Belle
    Trixie_Belle Posts: 163
    Options
    I buy reduced sodium Better than Bouillon from Costco.  It's not overly salty.   
    BGE novice...A Southern Belle living in Seattle.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    While we make our own stocks and freeze them, there are times when we need concentrate.  We've been using that brand for years.  They also make lobster and clam base.
    Options
    No idea what that stuff tastes like and at an obscene 700 mg of sodium per teaspoon, I will never know! I recently discovered Herb-Ox powdered bouillon (both chicken and beef) with zero sodium. Works for me. 
    Here's a bit of cooking trivia. As far as I was able to find, the main difference between "stock" and "broth," is that broth has salt added. But... I've never found any commercial stock that didn't also have sodium.

Best make your own.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    "Better than bouillon" is good stuff. I've got a jar of beef about half empty. For more $, and online ordering fuss, look up "Demi-Glace Gold," from "More Than Gourmet." Super concentrated, and super flavorful. I buy a few tiny packs for holiday meals. Gave a couple of the vegetarian ones to mu daughter as a gift, and she was thrilled with the product.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I use these also. They make a ham base but have not been able to source it lately.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    Options
    Better Than Bouillon is good stuff.  Costco sells the large jars of the 'organic' base too.
    LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I used that in the APL tenderloin recipe to make a flavor paste. It was really outstanding. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    +1 on this post. That's all we use now in our house. Great flavor and easy to use.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Brand got top rating in the latest Cook's Illustrated shootout, too.  
    They did some chemical analysis, and found that the good bases contained both umami compounds, glutamates and nucleotides, which amplify each other when both are present.  A previous CI article suggested, as a general additive, a half teaspoon of mushroom powder and a half teaspoon of fish sauce to most dishes, and I've been adding those to every batch of soup, stew, sauce, etc and my mouth is normally still watering at the END of the meal.  A good method I'd recommend if you're worried about the excess sodium.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Botch said:

Darn - I'm 2 months behind on my CI - I need to catch up on my reading as I would have never posted this today had I known this product was just reviewed! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    RRP said:
    Botch said:

Darn - I'm 2 months behind on my CI - I need to catch up on my reading as I would have never posted this today had I known this product was just reviewed! 
    Cross-info is always a good thing, not everyone subscribes!  ;)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.