Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Turbo Butt- DO IT! 4hr20min

Options
Ive low & slowed my fair share of butts. They always come out fantastic- even the very first one which was my first ever BGE cook. I cook them at 225° and they consistently finish at b/w 16-18 hours. Today I decided to give turbo a try since I'd been itching to do so for awhile. I could never quite pull the trigger though because I love the finished product of the long cook. Since I did a brisket yesterday, I didn't have it in me for another overnight cook & found out late in the game (but not too late for a long cook) that I was cooking for a bunch of peeps that I had never met. My eagerness to try, laziness to cook back to back nights, and a bunch of guinea pigs that I didn't care about created the perfect storm to give turbo a try. 
The setup was indirect 350° grid, PS legs up, drip pan on foil balls, homemade rub and 7# butt in the rib basket thing. I started with just salt in the pan but added some water/cider vinegar after the first hour just because. Also, used apple wood chunks and no foil. I was anticipating anywhere from 5-6 hours. 
Total cook time was 4:20 to 208/209°. I usually pull it at 203-205 but fell asleep so it couldve been as much as 10-20 min less. My dome temp also got to about 425° for about 15-20 min during the first hour. 
It was every bit as good as the long cook. Solid bark, tender & juicy throughout. FTC for almost 3 hours but only bc I was taking it with me to another house for dinner. After unwrapping, it was still piping hot. I'll only cook butts this way from now on unless I'm doing a brisket right next to it. 

XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

Comments