Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to Egg these Puppies

Options
I'm coming to the experts on this one. Sunday is my Birthday and SWMBO knows I love my steak. She drops these on the table. 2 bone in Ribeyes that weigh 1.8 lbs each and are 2 inches thick. That is a full size dinner plate and fork for scale. These. with roasted red skin garlic and onion potatoes and a bottle of Bolla Valpolicella. I'm quivering. Do I do them hot and fast or reverse sear? Im thinking they are too thick to do anything other than reverse sear.
Thanks Guys,
Bud
Large BGE
Lawrenceville, GA

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    2nd the reverse sear!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options

T-Rex them...or reverse sear...either will do just fine!!

T-Rex'd these!!

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • sstripes96
    sstripes96 Posts: 152
    Options
    What is T-Rex? Just drop them in the coals?
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I get my egg to 650-700 and cook 3 minutes per side and let rest for 5 minutes wrapped in foil to come to medium rare. Great every time but I'm really wanting to try caveman style.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• Chubby
    Options
    It's been around a looooong time...just Google T-Rex steak method! It's from the old...old days  lol! ...like 2004 or 2005!! I think there is also a nice primer on the Naked Whiz's site...walking you through it!!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I'm sold on reverse sear. Ever since I tried it the first time, I can't get away from it. Perfect for me.  Here is a link to some I did, 2" ribeyes rubbed with MCR....delicious !

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1174117/mcr-reverse-seer-ribeye-pic-heavy#latest

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Bolla Valpolicella is good, but it's your birthday!!
    NOLA
  • sstripes96
    Options
    Just read it. T Rex sounds like the way to go.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    It's your birthday...... you gotta go all Caveman based on the thickness.  By the way moon child, mine is Tuesday (if I make it) so happy to assist you with the consumption. Let me know. I promise to leave right after dinner!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Chubby said:

T-Rex them...or reverse sear...either will do just fine!!

I've done T-Rex and have loved it (for thicker steaks), and what I love about it is that you finalize the internal temp during the lower, slower part of the cook. So I would have said, "Don't take a chance on ruining these steaks by guessing how high the sear might take the internal temp, sear them FIRST, and then take them up to the precise internal temp you want slowly, at a low dome temperature."

I've never done a reverse sear, and I'm leery of it because you finalize the internal temperature at a very high temperature, which means, it seems to me, that you can only guess at how high the sear step will take it when you take it off of the lower, slower stage.

You've done it both ways, so can you tell me which you prefer and why?  Am I missing a point, somehow, and you can still be very precise even with a reverse sear?

Thanks!

• Chubby
    edited July 2015
    Options

Yes...Theophan you can do/ accomplish the same thing , (but I like the T Rex most times)...you just have to experiment with times and temps to get it where you want it.

JMO...but I think I like the inside texture a little better on the RS...(I think with good "Beefers"...it may be a little softer all the way through). That said...Istill like the TRex most times...(I think it builds a better, more flavorful crust)...and as long as you don't rush the rest time in between sear and dwell or finish...I think the texture is very.. very nice!!

Now, help me...Hw do you do that thing where you highlight and insert my earlier post (the "Chubby Said:" box) in your reply to me in a shaded box?

Never have figured that out...lol!!

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I'm a fan of the multi flip.  I run the egg up to 650 and turn them every 45 seconds or so.  These are steaks we have cut at about 1 3/4 inches thick.  I cook to a temp of 115  degrees .
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Theophan
    Options
    Chubby said:

Hw do you do that thing where you highlight and insert my earlier post (the "Chubby Said:" box) in your reply to me in a shaded box?

When you hover the mouse over the post, one of the options that comes up is "quote" (the others are "Flag," "Off Topic," "Disagree," "Agree, "Like).  If you click on "Quote," it automatically quotes that entire post.  I usually then delete everything that isn't relevant to what I'm specifically replying about, so people don't have to see it again.  So in this case, I deleted your pictures, for example, because they were still visible above my post, and all I wanted to do was cue you in to what I was responding to.
  • Theophan
    Options

ryantt said:
    I'm a fan of the multi flip.  I run the egg up to 650 and turn them every 45 seconds or so.  These are steaks we have cut at about 1 3/4 inches thick.  I cook to a temp of 115  degrees . 
    Wow -- gorgeous steak!  The photo doesn't show the char on the crust -- is it better, worse, same as the other two methods?

Thanks!
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @Theophan the crust is not as good as the other styles, but the steaks are always the way we like them.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    NO FORKS!
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Theophan
    Options
    ryantt said:
    @Theophan the crust is not as good as the other styles, but the steaks are always the way we like them.  
    That's what counts!  :)

Thanks!
  • sstripes96
    Options
    Wow guys, thanks for all the options. I agree that with the the reverse sear you would need to be spot on on when to pull the meat. Pull too late and the meat keeps cooking and may overshoot the IT that you are looking for. The multi flip method would work also but you're always opening the lid although it probably isn't a problem when you're at 650.The caveman method is interesting but I'm squeamish about tossing a $25 steak into the coals.
    Ahh, decisions, decisions. Ill take pics and keep you posted.
    DEFINITELY NO FORKS.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Happy Birthday!!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I gotta go with reverse sear, two inch thick steaks will cook almost like a roast. If you have a temp probe that you can "watch", then there is little chance of overshooting your desired temp.  My birthday gift was an iGrill2, it's nearly foolproof, I can watch the temp rise on my phone. (Bluetooth is limited in distance and # of walls, so be aware before you buy one)

The advantage(s) of reverse sear - combining a slow heat up and pulling early to rest makes steak more tender, (it's got to do with enzymes called cathespins, sort of a 'dry aging') and the finished color is consistent top to bottom, like a roast. Also, heating the steak slowly gives you a dry exterior that will sear better when it hits that hot iron. If it's not dry, I pat it dry before searing.

3 minute You Tube you should watch - it's the inside oven method, but certainly can be used in your outside oven.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    No matter what you do, keep a close eye on the internal temp and it'll be awesome. Reverse sear is kind of cumbersome but works really well. Happy birthday!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Glad I don't read this last night. I would have been mad at you for egging puppies.  :o
  • Chubby
    Options
    Theophan said:
    Chubby said:

Hw do you do that thing where you highlight and insert my earlier post (the "Chubby Said:" box) in your reply to me in a shaded box?

When you hover the mouse over the post, one of the options that comes up is "quote" (the others are "Flag," "Off Topic," "Disagree," "Agree, "Like).  If you click on "Quote," it automatically quotes that entire post.  I usually then delete everything that isn't relevant to what I'm specifically replying about, so people don't have to see it again.  So in this case, I deleted your pictures, for example, because they were still visible above my post, and all I wanted to do was cue you in to what I was responding to.
    Thanks Boss!! Says the Old Dog...with his new trick...lol!!!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Can't believe no body has suggested hot tubbing!!! Any time I egg  thick pieces like that I always hot tub for at least an hour to 80 minutes. By that time the IT of the meat is 100 to 105 already so you don't end up with cold blue-red centers! Then I just sear. Never have been a fan of T-Rex except when I have fired up two eggs at the same time. Getting the egg super hot and then trying to cool it down quickly doesn't make sense to me. Otherwise I'm a fan of the reverse sear method, if for some reason I forgot to hot tub!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    What is T-Rex? Just drop them in the coals?
    Here's the link to T-Rex style: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm

And here's my thread about my first T-Rex cook: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1183459/first-cook-porterhouse-trex-style-lots-of-pics

Good luck and Happy Birthday!
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • sstripes96
    Options
    Now that I have woken from my meat coma I can post some pics. I decided to go the reverse sear route because that is the one I'm most familiar with and didn't want to ruin $40 worth of steak. I used my new Flame Boss 200 to stabilize the temp at 250. I actually played with the temps for a couple of hours to see the response of the FB. I'm pretty impressed. Flipped at 90 IT and bumped the temp to 300 (the potatoes were ahead of schedule) and foiled at 120 IT. Let the Egg go nuclear to 800 and tossed them back on. See the first pic. I left them on just a tad too long but they were still awesome. Nothing is better than a big hunk of beef on the Egg with roasted garlic and rosemary potatoes and a bottle of Beaujolais.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Options
    Those look damn good!  Thanks for closing the loop on this thread.  
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle