Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribeyes last night (lots of pics)

Options
BabyBoomBBQ
BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I friend came by yesterday with 2 ribeyes from the Miramar Commissary that needed cooking. Experimenting is fun to me, so I decided to try direct and raised indirect. He's a very experienced Weber guy who always cooks with all vents fully open and indirect. He did help me get the egg so, I set the egg up to run about 400 to 425 dome like he requested. I could not sell him on the "Hot Tub" treatment, so we just left them out for 90 minutes.[p]Here's the setup. I'm thinking of getting another 18" grid and a pizza stone to cut in half so the space works out better. I like the ability to sear and remove from direct radiation from the coals. It's an old habit from when I developed my Blackened Tri Tip recipe years ago.
2006-4-setup.jpg[p]Here's the direct one seasoned with salt and pepper ready to grill. I sprayed on canola oil just before putting them on.
2006-4-spribeye.jpg[p]Here it is after 7 minutes per side. Should have taken these outside since the flash effected the color. The grill marks were a nice dark brown and the meat was medium rare bright red. He couldn't wait to eat, so he cut into it a little too soon. Note the amount of juice on the plate. Had this been fish or chicken, the cat in the upper right background would be sitting next to my guest watching my every move.
2006-4-spribeye2.jpg[p]This is the indirect one. I seasoned it with DP Cowlick and a touch of DP Red Eye Express.
2006-4-spunribeye.jpg[p]I got distracted after pulling the direct one, so it ended up medium. I'd say it cooked 18 to 20 minutes. Wanted to do a sear, but oh well. Note the lack of any grill marks, but the darkening near the edges. Wasn’t crunchy at all. [p]I like to put a pad of butter on my steaks right after they come off the grill. Boy, that is a great mix of rub flavors. I plan on doing a full ribeye roast seasoned like this! The taste was so fatastic, I didn't care it was medium and had no crust.
2006-4-spunribeye2.jpg[p]Served with Italian Wedding Soup, grilled red onion, a huge baked potato and salad. I only ate 1/2 of the steak and potato, (portion control) so I have leftovers for today.[p]Happy Egging,[p]BabyBoomBBQ

Comments

• Chicago Wine Geek
    Options
    Great post! Now I'm jonesing for some beef...
  • Topo Gigio
    Options
    BabyBoomBBQ, why didn't I think of that - put fire bricks on one side only. So you get a good sear direct, put the raised grid on and move the steaks up and over to the indirect side to finish the cook.[p]Does anyone know if firebricks can handle going from outside temperature to inside a very hot egg without cracking (like a pizza stone would)? This would help bring down the temp inside the egg after the sear for the dwell. Otherwise I'll put them in at startup. [p]
  • BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    Options
    Topo Gigio,[p]Humm, I'm not a ceramic expert but I put them in at the outset. There are real ceramic experts who participate here, so maybe they will chime in with solid data. [p]Give it a try.
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    BabyBoomBBQ,
    In your pic the grid under the fire brick what is that? i have a medium egg and mine that came with my egg is like your top grid. is there
    a different style grid available from BGE?

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Topo Gigio,
    i have two types, a soft firebrick that can be cut in half with a wood saw, and a harder ceramic like one. the softer ones occasionally break, but that may be due to dropping them. the harder ones break with a chisel and ive never had one break putting it in the egg while the egg was hot

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 61 CHEV,
    Good Eye. They make a Cast iron grid for the Large and Medium. Call BGE or your local dealer. I'm told they have one in the works for the XL as well.

• BabyBoomBBQ,[p]Looks perfect!! Curious though, the first pic. The grate, is that the cast iron version from BGE? I see the spacing is much smaller so vegetables, shrimnp, etc. won't fall through.[p]Let me know as I hate using a pan with holes, just don't get the same taste of amount of heat I am looking for.[p]Thanks,
    Howard

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Howard,
    the bge cast iron grill has 2 sides, the flat side i use for cooking burgers and the othe side i use for the thinner crosshatches on steaks

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it