Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Skepticism...

Options

Comments

• Salmonegg
    Salmonegg Posts: 79
    Options
    bweekes said:
    Great looking cooks Craig.  I too have been skeptical of sous vide, but for a different reason.  Something about cooking in a plastic bag rubs me the wrong way.
    If you're using foodsafe bags rated for SV, you've got nothing to worry about.  
    Coincidentally, Chef Steps has a post on this topic today:
    http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/a-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-packaging

tl;dr Don't use plastic wrap, you're probably better off with name-brand ziplocs or SV bags, all evidence so far says you should be fine under 185 degrees, try cooking in glass jars.

I have been meaning to try the Chef Steps mason jar crème brûlée.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    GregW said:
    I've always heard Sous Vide is to steak what a condom is to sex. :)
    If this is true, then more is definitely not better.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    Options
    GregW said:
    I guess one way to look at it is both have meat in bags.
    LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited July 2015
    Options
    GregW said:
    If this is true, then more is definitely not better.
    If this case I don't think it's better. A quick sear doesn't equal a longer baptism in fire that traditional grilling yields. I have had a Poly Science Pro Chef quiet a while now, long enough to get a feel for what it excels at and what is better done with traditional cooking methods.

Note: I respect anyone who thinks the Sous Vide is the best thing ever. I just haven't experienced the panacea yet. 
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Yea but does Baldwin have sweet sweet white glasses?
    I've got some sweet green ones too...
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    pics or it didnt happen. you know the rules. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    pics or it didnt happen. you know the rules. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Have been using my SV for several years and it's great for some things and I wasn't impressed with others. Steaks and tri tips I never do anymore I just like them better grilled longer. I still got tub my steaks and tri tips though. Chicken breasts, scrambled eggs, eggs, vegetables, skirt steaks, there's a long list of items that the SV is great for. I have a buddy that I tried to get a sous vide for several years and he wouldn't then he finally got one and he uses it more than his eggs. He actually did sous vide pulled pork for a party we went to recently and it was actually really good. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    henapple said:
    I don't know much about sous vide... But I slept with a classically trained chef last night. 
    Was he gentle????

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • News2u
    News2u Posts: 335
    Options
    Till now, totaling clueless about SV. Somehow managing to be the last to know anything is a skill I mastered long time ago. Up late last researching the process. Will be joining that club very soon. Thanks for enlightening me.
    Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    News2u said:
    Till now, totaling clueless about SV. Somehow managing to be the last to know anything is a skill I mastered long time ago. Up late last researching the process. Will be joining that club very soon. Thanks for enlightening me.
    I think you will enjoy it. I had never heard of it before last year... use mine quite often now.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Great resource - I was about to post the link, then went back to check if anyone else had. It is always nice to see what others think to be the ideal. At our house the average tri-tip goes in at 135ºF (compromise with SWMBO who prefers 150ºF when cooked on direct heat) for between 3 to 5 hours - depends if I remember to put it in or not. Sear is usually CI, but sometimes over direct heat if one of the grills is on. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    Options
    I have had an Anova circulator for about a year now.  I have been impressed with the results for steak, chicken and pork tenderloin.  However, it really shines in cooking vegetables -- we love cooking potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots and beets.  A few weeks back, I experimented with cauliflower and tossed in some grated cheese and it was fantastic.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    "Chef Charles" one of our favourites is brussel sprouts, veggies do come out very good. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    I learned a few things today:

A: I need a  SV

B: I bet @BigGreenCraig actually takes photos of foods and then lies about how they were prepared or about how the taste and texture came out, cause that makes sense, as a matter of fact I bet he gets paid mad cash for every idiot who listens to his BS and tries one of his demonstrated methods.  He has probably set records for The Longest On Going April Fools Joke and Most Fooled By A Single Man and gets paid for those too. What a diabolic A-Hole...that or he is just a guy tryin to help out others by sharing some words of wisdom gained by trial and error experiences so that others don't have to waste their  valuable time and money to get the same results.

C: Haters Gonna Hate
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    C
    Jacksonville FL
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    D: filaters gunna filate
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Ha, yeah, once u taste the  Kool-Aid , Works either way I suspect. All I'm pointing out is no one can ever agree on anything on this site and it's a constant pants-on-fire convention. 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Ha, yeah, once u taste the  Kool-Aid , Works either way I suspect. All I'm pointing out is no one can ever agree on anything on this site and it's a constant pants-on-fire convention. 
    It is funny though cause most of "the haters" provided information backed by Sous Vide Professionals and included a few links that they can bookmark to learn more about sous vide.  So while I understand and respect that you're defending your friend, the information that everyone else provided during their hate is what will be referenced when SV noobs browse this thread.

D. Learned a lot about Sous Vide and got some really helpful links.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    @cazzy,
    You got some Baldwin deoxyribonucleic acid on your face. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• cazzy
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Focker said:
    @cazzy,
    You got some Baldwin deoxyribonucleic acid on your face. 
    Nah bruh, but clearly you got some of Craigs!  Please don't make me wreck you again like I did on the greeneggers forum.  You only have an hour to edit your post so you might not have time to tap out/apologize and delete your post before the bell rings.  

Here I thought we moved on and were buddies!   :o
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Salmonegg said:
    bweekes said:
    Great looking cooks Craig.  I too have been skeptical of sous vide, but for a different reason.  Something about cooking in a plastic bag rubs me the wrong way.
    If you're using foodsafe bags rated for SV, you've got nothing to worry about.  
    Coincidentally, Chef Steps has a post on this topic today:
    http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/a-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-packaging

tl;dr Don't use plastic wrap, you're probably better off with name-brand ziplocs or SV bags, all evidence so far says you should be fine under 185 degrees, try cooking in glass jars.

I have been meaning to try the Chef Steps mason jar crème brûlée.
    @Salmonegg You absolutely have to try the chef steps mason jat crème brûlée...  it is fantastic.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1175889/ot-sous-vide-creme-brulee

Options
    Hahahahahahahaha.......funny stuff.

We are.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    GalanteNate_OneEa Posts: 967
    edited July 2015
    Options
    cazzy said:
    It is funny though cause most of "the haters" provided information backed by Sous Vide Professionals and included a few links that they can bookmark to learn more about sous vide.  So while I understand and respect that you're defending your friend, the information that everyone else provided during their hate is what will be referenced when SV noobs browse this thread.
    I wouldn't call it defending a friend, but rather every time I think I see something posted by this guy there's nothing but internet links to how much he's wrong and why he sucks. The guy might be lying, but holy hell what would he have to gain? I can't say anything about SV, but when he gives me advice on how to properly egg something, it has turned out well for me. I'm gonna have to say, that even though I don't SV, if I was to, I would believe that this specific method a recipe posted would probably turn out awesome, and I only base that on the fact that he hasn't  given me bad advice yet. 

I mean honestly, you think I can't find a website to contradict every post ever written by EVERYONE on this forum? Why not just go in your kitchen, replicate his post, and judge the results. Tell us an honest opinion of what YOUR experience is. Anyone can google a recipe, the point is that we can trust that the Eggspert who has posted it here has carried it out and given first hand honest criticism to how it came out. 

Here, I'll start. One time, I made two brisket flats using the @travisstrick  method, and they both sucked. As a matter of fact every time I made one in my egg they sucked, until I tried a higher temp, somewhere between 290-325f, and it was awesome. It was so good I've done about six or seven more flats and whole brisket all the same way, and they all rocked. Does that mean @travisstrick  is a liar? NO, it means I couldn't get the same results that he got. See what I did there? I told you that I tried it, but I did not get good results. Instead you think I should say, no @travisstrick braising brisket is stupid. Look 

http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2009/02/hot-fast-bbq-beef-brisket.html?m=1

Or maybe if the heading of this was simply:

"Tender Juicy Cut Of Meat, How I Sous Vide Them" 

Im stepping off my soap box now. Good night all. Deep down I love this forum and use its wealth of knowledge and experience to grow my own, but seriously, trolling by any other name is still trolling, and it is ridiculous, that's all.
  • cazzy
    edited July 2015
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I wouldn't call it defending a friend, but rather every time I think I see something posted by this guy there's nothing but internet links to how much he's wrong and why he sucks. The guy might be lying, but holy hell what would he have to gain? I can't say anything about SV, but when he gives me advice on how to properly egg something, it has turned out well for me. I'm gonna have to say, that even though I don't SV, if I was to, I would believe that this specific method a recipe posted would probably turn out awesome, and I only base that on the fact that he hasn't  given me bad advice yet. 

I mean honestly, you think I can't find a website to contradict every post ever written by EVERYONE on this forum? Why not just go in your kitchen, replicate his post, and judge the results. Tell us an honest opinion of what YOUR experience is. Anyone can google a recipe, the point is that we can trust that the Eggspert who has posted it here has carried it out and given first hand honest criticism to how it came out. 

Here, I'll start. One time, I made two brisket flats using the @travisstrick  method, and they both sucked. As a matter of fact every time I made one in my egg they sucked, until I tried a higher temp, somewhere between 290-325f, and it was awesome. It was so good I've done about six or seven more flats and whole brisket all the same way, and they all rocked. Does that mean @travisstrick  is a liar? NO, it means I couldn't get the same results that he got. See what I did there? I told you that I tried it, but I did not get good results. Instead you think I should say, no @travisstrick braising brisket is stupid. Look 

Im stepping off my soap box now. Good night all. Deep down I love this forum and use its wealth of knowledge and experience to grow my own, but seriously, trolling by any other name is still trolling, and it is ridiculous, that's all.
    One, I don't recall anyone calling Craig a liar nor did anyone accuse him of purposely misleading people.  Sous Vide is a different beast and is scientific like baking.  Longer isn't better so people just disagreed with his approach. Peoples opinions came from real world experience and was backed up by links posted later on (read Nola's post). People troll Craig about t-shirts, glasses and firewires but nobody questions his cooking ability.  The kid can cook and I've said that too many times already.  I personally can take criticism and understand that there is a crap ton of knowledge about cooking that I still need to learn.  

Two, Travis brisket method is a **** technique and he is a liar because that is not how he does it...now!    =)

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    cazzy said:

I guess you didn't actually follow the Travis method, because he says to cook at 300*, right in the range you now like.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138233/brisket-how-i-do-it/p1
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    But really. Nobody actually does the travis brisket. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:

One, I don't recall anyone calling Craig a liar nor did anyone accuse him of purposely misleading people.  Sous Vide is a different beast and is scientific like baking.  Longer isn't better so people just disagreed with his approach. Peoples opinions came from real world experience and was backed up by links posted later on (read Nola's post). People troll Craig about t-shirts, glasses and firewires but nobody questions his cooking ability.  The kid can cook and I've said that too many times already.  I personally can take criticism and understand that there is a crap ton of knowledge about cooking that I still need to learn.  

Two, Travis brisket method is a **** technique and he is a liar because that is not how he does it...now!    =)

Yeah... He uses a crockpot and just does the sides on the egg...
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    Bought the same ANOVA in the sale.... The Fillet cooked to 130F for 60 min then finished in a cast-iron pan was unbelievable.  The fattier ribeye was not as amazing (at least not superior to cooked straight in the egg, high in the dome direct), but perhaps I need to sous vide the ribeye longer.
    I love eggs done in the sous vide....  Great addition.  Want to try the tri-tip, thanks for the pointers.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • cazzy
    Options
    flemster said:
    Bought the same ANOVA in the sale.... The Fillet cooked to 130F for 60 min then finished in a cast-iron pan was unbelievable.  The fattier ribeye was not as amazing (at least not superior to cooked straight in the egg, high in the dome direct), but perhaps I need to sous vide the ribeye longer.
    I love eggs done in the sous vide....  Great addition.  Want to try the tri-tip, thanks for the pointers.
    I actually think a filet is the best steak to cook sous vide because of it's thickness.  Makes one of the harder steaks to cook a breeze too and that edge to edge red is just plain sexy.