Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I am ashamed!

Options

I have to say, I have never done something so foolish before, but you know it happens sometimes.

I slow Cooked some ribs one day, (which were magnificent) and cleaned out the egg....(so I thought). Next day we left for vacation. I was gone for 2 weeks, it get hot and muggy sometimes here in KY. Needless to say, I have left the drip pan in the egg, now there is mold every where on the egg. Can anyone tell me how to fix this Issue? Do I Need to change out the Seal?

Comments

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    load up with some lump, burn at 600-ish till the lump burns completely thru.  Then dust off and vac out.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Time for a clean burn.  5-600 degrees till your out of lump. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have done the same thing many times.  You get excited to eat...shut down the egg in a hurry and get your grub on! 

Just load it up with lump, start a fire, and let it burn nice and hot for a while. 

If your gasket has mold hopefully it will burn off as well.  Unfortunately a clean burn might burn up the gasket as well but there is not much you can do about that.  You may want to go ahead and replace it with a rutland or another high temp gasket. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Get yourself a hot fire for 20-30 minutes, then shut everything down.  Might even throw a steak on in the process.  It works.
  • biggin74
    biggin74 Posts: 37
    Options

@SmokeyPitt I have a Rutland That I need to put on so, this may present to be the perfect opportunity to install it. High burn sounds perfect. There is a ton of charcoal left from the slow burn, is it okay to use that for burn off.

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Yes, let her rip
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    Yep. Done it a lot. Fire up your lump and it'll burn off in no time. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Agreed- any funky stuff on the charcoal will go up in flames so let it rip. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have had some horror shows from low and slows.  Opening the egg is like waking up with a hangover.  Yep, like everyone said, just burn out whatever lump is left, add more if necessary.  Don't let it get too hot.  700 is fine.  Pull out the thermometer if you go any hotter than that, but you're just asking for trouble.
    Options
    It's probably happened to everyone at one point or another.  Just burn it all off!  
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    There's worst things in life... I mean, you could be secretly wanting to peep on your neighbor to see how he's cooking on a gasser and why it smells so good.  I think it's call a smoke sniffer.  Not to be confused by other sniffers.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Good opportunity to burn off that gasket, you don't need one.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• biggin74
    biggin74 Posts: 37
    Options
    There's worst things in life... I mean, you could be secretly wanting to peep on your neighbor to see how he's cooking on a gasser and why it smells so good.  I think it's call a smoke sniffer.  Not to be confused by other sniffers.  
    You know, I can definitely smell the difference.. what worse is since I have gone completely to charcoal... I can't totally and utterly taste the difference. So.... smoke sniffing for me.