Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Caught a tuna

Foghorn
Foghorn Posts: 9,794
On our annual trip to visit my Inlaws on Cape Cod, my son and I always take a day to get a charter boat for some fishing. We have been trying to catch a tuna for several years but usually end up being happy with striped bass +/- bluefish. This year we finally got a tuna. It measured 68 inches. There were 5 of us on the boat so we got roughly 40% of the meat. Most of the neighborhood had fresh tuna that night. We also vacuum sealed a lot and will be taking some home - after leaving a lot for the relatives. 
The first night we blackened it and 2 nights later we grilled it about 40 seconds per side after marinating it in soy sauce and ginger.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Nice. Bet that was a fun catch!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    NICE! Congrats to you and your son.  That first pic is amazing 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    thats a nice hunk of meat, dont get any better than that
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
  • YYZegger
    YYZegger Posts: 231
    Nice Catch!  Looks delicious!  Congratulations. 
    Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Nice 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Would love to catch a tuna like that.  We watch Wicked Tuna a good bit at my house. We are heading to Alaska to fish later this month...hope we have good luck.

Congrats on the catch and thanks for sharing!
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Beautiful fish!
    We're heading to Kitty Hawk next month to try our luck at yellowfin - down South they run about 30 lbs. average and we usually manage to get more than one each.
    Biggest I've ever caught is still smaller than that monster you brought in, I would guess 60 lbs.?

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Did the first mate trim it for you?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Awesome!  I'd eat that raw with some soy sauce, ginger and wasabi!
    MM & XL BGE, Bay Area CA
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Man that looks great!  I've never caught a tuna but I bet it would be a blast!  The biggest thing I've ever pulled out of the ocean was a stingray with a wing span the size of a suburban hood.  I was using a 9 foot poll and head to tail it was longer than that.  Took me 2.5 hours to bring in and the whole time I thought I had a huge shark.  I'm adding catching a tuna to my bucket list.  
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706

We catch quite a bit in Mexico- I'll slice it right off the fish and eat it......Tuna like that should just be shown the fire..........Some things IMHO are better raw

Great looking cook though!

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    that is a beautiful piece of meat 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Congrats!  Awesome fish!  
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Man that looks spectacular!  Great catch!  Had to fun bringing that in!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    That's awesome. Congrats. Definitely on my bucket list.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Man, I'd really like to have a big hunk of that in my belly!  Just pass it by the fire on the way to the wasabi and soy. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    You win!  Awesome catch!  That had to be a fun one to play/fight :clap: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    This is the only way I'll catch a tuna anytime soon.  Caught this on Wed. 

• ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Nice catch! I am planning my first off shore fishing trip next year.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Foghorn
    Thanks to all for the kind comments. @DieselkW, the captain estimated the fish at 160 pounds. We got about 100 pounds of meat. We had 23, gallon ziplocks full of meat. Most of them had a big 6-7 pound hunk like the one in the picture. Some of them had smaller pieces. 

@MaskedMarvel, the captain and the first mate each worked on it to get it in the ziplocks. On the tuna that size there are 4 "loins" that each looked to be 25 pounds or so. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    @NPHuskerFL, it only fought for 30 minutes, but it fought hard. 5 of us each stayed on the line until we were tired.  I let the others go ahead in anticipation of it being a long battle so I ended up landing it without us having to go around a second time. The only other tuna we've ever hooked was much larger and fought for 2 hours before breaking the line when the captain pulled really hard. Wouldn't have been able to keep that one anyway as over 73 inches is considered a commercial fish. I get why as we had about as much fish as everybody could eat and fit in the freezer. 

San Antonio, TX

• BIll-W221
    BIll-W221 Posts: 279
    Great catch, it's a nice time of year to be up here. Were you in Chatham ?
  • Foghorn
    @Bill-W221, yes we went out of Chatham. My in-laws live in Eastham. We've been coming to the Cape to visit them every 4th of July for over 20 years. Once my son got old enough, fishing became an annual event. We used to go out of Rock Harbor for bass and blues, but for the past 5 or so years we have been going after tuna. We finally got one. 

Where are you located?

San Antonio, TX

• BIll-W221
    BIll-W221 Posts: 279
    I live in Hanson, it's about 30 minutes from the Cape,  but I fish out of Chatham too, beautiful area. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    edited July 2015
    You are talking my language here. Great bluefin.  Hope you got some of that belly meat.  Get him on the chunk?  Or troll?  Green stick?  
    We are headed out tomorrow for some. Hopefully we get a bluefin then head further and go for some yellows.  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Foghorn said:
    I would have thought tuna to be one of @SGH's very most favorites. 
    And you would be correct brother Horn. Tuna certainly is one of my very favorites. Man that is a awesome looking catch. Looks like a great time all around. The grub looks outstanding as well. For a job well done from water to plate, allow me:

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Foghorn
    SGH said:
    Foghorn said:
    I would have thought tuna to be one of @SGH's very most favorites. 
    And you would be correct brother Horn. Tuna certainly is one of my very favorites. Man that is a awesome looking catch. Looks like a great time all around. The grub looks outstanding as well. For a job well done from water to plate, allow me:

Thank you @SGH. Now I am complete. We probably would have had to eat the whole fish to get the double seal of approval. 

San Antonio, TX