Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Short Ribs; Advice

Options
gfavor
gfavor Posts: 74

Doing Beef Short Ribs this weekend; first time. Been reading lots of how-to stuff.

My plan is to cook the meat indirect at 250 dome-temp, meat side up to 160.  Then foil, meat side down in a stock mixture, and cook to 200. 

Some folk suggest not to cook as a rack (like pork ribs) but as single ribs.

So does my plan seem ok?  And what is your opinion on (a) Foiling and (b) Full rack vs single?

Comments

• HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    I've done beef ribs for the last two weekends - and both times I did them as a full rack with the fat side up (drip pan underneath).

1st time didn't have much of a smoke ring, so I ramped up the chips and chunks for the 2nd cook and they came out perfect at 195 - didn't need to foil them at all.
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Not to be "of two minds" but I cook them each way, with and without the foil step.  Sometimes, nothing but on the grate til finished "probes like buttah" with a toothpick.  Other times foiling after around 160*F or so-but whenever foiling I always keep bone side down.  And the driver is "how much effort do I want to put into this cook!" If you can get a whole rack, go for it.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    My first run at short ribs were horrible, I just put them on and cooked them like ribs - uncovered for hours.  They were dry and tough, I don't think the quality was there to begin with, but they sucked.

This last weekend I had better quality shorties that after defrosting, I dropped into a cooler full of hot water from the tap - I didn't check the temp, but it was probably 140ish.  I left them in there for an hour, then pulled them, cut them out of the vacuseal bag, dried and seasoned them.  They were really loose at that point, but no visible color change or sign of cooking.  I put them on indirect with a rack of ribs at 300 with lots of smoke and let them run for about 5 hours.  They were done by probing them at 3 hours, but I left them on to continue to cook while the St Louis ribs were finishing.  I kept checking to be sure they weren't drying out - I would've pulled them.  They were top 2-3 things I've ever cooked.  Great bark, jelly inside, fantastic flavor.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I just mentioned in another thread that the biggest problem, for me, is that there are several different cuts and names for short ribs. I've not yet figured out how to identify them. At best, I can say that if the meat has 2 layers of muscle divided by a layer of fat, they are (likely) the more tender plate ribs. Just cook them standard low and slow, bone side down. I've done them as quick as 3- hours, no more than 4.

If uncertain, foil them, and melt the connective tissue as much as possible. At worst, they will be chewy but tasty.
  • gfavor
    Options
    Wow, this is all awesome advice. Greatly appreciated. I bought a whole rack this morning.  I can't wait to get started this weekend. Grill'n and a book to read.
  • gfavor
    Options
    A follow-up question: My rib rack is 4lbs.  From what I've read I need to plan on a 5-7 hr cook. Is that reasonable?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Right in there with your time estimate running around 250-260*F on the dome.  Great eats await.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • italchef
    italchef Posts: 5
    Options
    I've done them a few times and foiled once and the other time didn't. It seems that the general consensus is that they'll take a higher temp than regular ribs. 250F-300F maybe? I foiled them the second time because I was afraid they'd dry out. I'd test doneness based on poking them as opposed to temperature.
  • gfavor
    Options
    Thanks to all for your advice. The beef ribs were a great success; 7 hr cook and it was worth the wait.