Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Costco?

RiverDoc
RiverDoc Posts: 572
I have always gone to SAMs club, I'm almost equal distance to a SAMs club and a Costco. I've heard lots of people here talk about Costco so tomorrow I'm heading to Costco for the first time. Is there anything that I really should check out? Anything to avoid? What do you like at Costco ?
-Todd
Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE

Comments

• clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Just look around...shop smart!
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    I love the way Costco packages their chicken parts. You don't have to open the entire bag for just a few pieces of chicken. 
    Their food court is the best bargain in town. You can buy a giant hot dog and drink with free refills for only a $1.50  ;)
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    From an article I read, Sam's is very consistent with their merch, while Costco is always having surprise good deals, different from week to week; I'll admit that article was from several years ago, so ymmv.
    What the Walton family has done to Middle America, however, will keep me from EVER patronizing a Sam's.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

Costco....

I had not been to Sam's in 5 yrs, but got a membership for free.  There's a few things at Sams I buy, but overall, Costco is 10x times better for me.

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    I really like Costco.  I used to be a member of SAMs and made the switch.  There's so much good stuff I don't know where to begin.  You'll like it better. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • RiverDoc
    @TigerTony food court...hot dog...mmmmm yup I'm there!
    -Todd
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,937
    The whiskey is cheap.  'Nuf said!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    We have memberships to both, 90% of the time we go to Costco.  Their Kirkland brand balsamic vinegar is very good and an incredible deal.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Yeah, we have memberships to both.  We probably go to Costco 85% of the time.  Costco is clean, employees are happy and well paid, merchandise is higher quality for the most part.

Costco carries, at least ours does, many prime grade beef cuts.  If they have it, get the prime sirloin.  It's reasonably priced and healthy with a nice even marbling.  They carry wild king salmon that's delicious.  I've picked up some fish at Sam's that stunk.  Date was fine, my theory is the employees don't give a sh*t and just let abandoned carts languish then restock the frozen and refrigerated goods.  Luck of the draw.

Yes, the Kirkland Signature products are great......so are all the other organic products.  I buy my balsamic vinegar, Muir Glen canned tomatoes, avocado oil, kid's juice boxes, kid's organic cheese sticks, low sugar jams, etc.

Sam's has big boxes of the same crap they sell at WalMart.  Costco has the better stuff you see at the nicer grocery stores.  The seafood at Costco is really good.  During Lent they have this frozen beer battered Halibut--fantastic.  They used to have veal hot dogs--those were really good, but I guess no one else bought them.  Their Kirkland frozen cheese pizzas are great for the BGE--top them yourself with everything under the sun.  The Amon's NY pizza  slices are really good too.  Best thing about Costco in the summer is the refrigerated room......not as good as Restaurant Depot, but still nice way to cool off.  BTW, Costco's Kirkland alkaline batteries are always rated near the top of Consumer Reports, and they're a fraction of the cost--like $17 for 48 AA's?

The only place I like to shop at more than Costco is IKEA (opens 9/30/15 in STL!!!)  Restaurant Depot is one of my most hated places to go, but I have to sometimes to get certain things.  I have a feeling the issues are localized to our particular store.

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    The 'take and bake' Mac and cheese from Costco is fantastic.  One of my personal favorites
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Sam's Club is very much the same each time while costco has variety. Costco needles their meat.. but IDGAF.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Costco for me, I made the switch from Sam's a few years ago and love it. Baby back and St. Louis style ribs, seafood and the Prime Ribeye steaks are unbelievable a little pricey but worth it, oh yeah and they have Stella for $1 a bottle! 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • 1.5L liquor bottles, good meat and fish, clean butcher area, free samples while u walk around
    MM & XL BGE, Bay Area CA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Cost is chuck roasts are always good quality. Their prime steaks are great and priced just above choice at the supermarket. Batteries are a good deal especially when on sale. If you make burgers a couple at a time their organic beef 3 pack is good to keep around. The cannot aged cheddar in the black wrapper. I always but their frozen organic veggies Normandy style and their white meat rotisserie chicken breast package and that's usually my lunch for the week. only thing I would say avoid is going at prime hours. My wife won't even go with me on weekend days from like noon to 5 it's crazy busy.
  • RiverDoc
    Ok thanks everyone! I'm heading out in a while will see how it goes
    -Todd
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Also check out the spice aisle.  The kirkland signature steak rub is just one example.  It is basically a kicked up montreal steak seasoning but very good and an incredible value. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    1.5L liquor bottles, good meat and fish, clean butcher area, free samples while u walk around
    More like while you try to maneuver around those sample tables and the crowds of people standing there, waiting to get a small bite to eat; as if they haven't eaten in a week. Jeez, it's like running an obstacle course even without those tables!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    1.5L liquor bottles, good meat and fish, clean butcher area, free samples while u walk around
    More like while you try to maneuver around those sample tables and the crowds of people standing there, waiting to get a small bite to eat; as if they haven't eaten in a week. Jeez, it's like running an obstacle course even without those tables!
    ....And here I was the only one that thought that.  Thanks being annoyed by that as well.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    johnnyp said:
    The 'take and bake' Mac and cheese from Costco is fantastic.  One of my personal favorites
    This times 1,000.  Some of the best mac n cheese you will ever buy.  As Nola stated their prime briskets are a great deal (at least in my area).  I love their mix nuts and just this last time I bought their cashew clusters.  Those little bastards are amazing.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Not all of them have it, but if you see their ravioli lasagna in the prepared foods fridge area, give that a try - you can even warm it up on the egg if you don't want to heat up the kitchen.
    We go to Costco a couple times a month - great prices on pharmacy scripts, bulk soaps, frozen food, coffee, spices...
    I like it a LOT better than Sams - but I have a hard spot for all things Walmart so I'm biased.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Lit said:
    white meat rotisserie chicken breast package and that's usually my lunch for the week
    This is really good.  They pull the chicken off of rotisserie chickens they cook in the store (which are really good and cheap themselves).  It's a few lbs of chicken and it needs only very minor clean-up.  We don't buy this regularly, but when we're cooking large and need cooked chicken this is our go to.  We've used it for soups, chili, enchiladas, chicken salad, anywhere you need pre-cooked chicken.
  • Nearest Costco, 30 miles away.  Sam's, 1 mile.  I buy meat at Sam's and have had good results.  I also have GFS near me and their meat is good and their lump (made by RO) is reasonably priced.  Someday I'll check out Costco.
    Flint, Michigan
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    The other thing that costco has is a better craft beer selection than Sam's Club. I can sometimes find Sculpin, Drake's, St. Bernadus, and others. Costco don't have a super rare beer, but the ones they have are good and very reasonably priced. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited July 2015
    Lit said:
    Cost is chuck roasts are always good quality. Their prime steaks are great and priced just above choice at the supermarket. Batteries are a good deal especially when on sale. If you make burgers a couple at a time their organic beef 3 pack is good to keep around. The cannot aged cheddar in the black wrapper. I always but their frozen organic veggies Normandy style and their white meat rotisserie chicken breast package and that's usually my lunch for the week. only thing I would say avoid is going at prime hours. My wife won't even go with me on weekend days from like noon to 5 it's crazy busy.
    I would rather go to the airport on Monday morning than Costco on a Saturday.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    They have a smoked gouda dip that is outstanding by itself and stuffed in jalapenos is heavenly. Last time i was in there they had exotic meat sausages for sale and the elk was outstanding and picked up a package. 

Love their baby backs. 
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    There's a couple of times I've gone to Costco. Put a couple of things in the cart (nonperishable) and then abandoned the cart once I saw the checkout lines.

I buy gas there if I'm close. Prime ribeye is great. Prime lamb chops too. I use their rotisserie chicken in various recipes. If I need something easy to cook, lately I've been getting their prepared pasta chicken alfredo and it's really good. Oh, and they carry Kent Farms mangos during season. Haven't found a better mango yet.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    TigerTony said:
    I love the way Costco packages their chicken parts. You don't have to open the entire bag for just a few pieces of chicken. 
    Their food court is the best bargain in town. You can buy a giant hot dog and drink with free refills for only a $1.50  ;)
    Costco hasn't changed the buck fifty price for that hot dog and drink combo for more than 25 years!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Hate Costco... Only place I know where I go to return some pants (my only intentions) and here I am putting a new mattress, pillows, and steak into my car.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    The fact that local Costco is about seven minutes from my house may have something to do with it, but it's a huge favorite.
    Best prices I've found for Kuerig coffee pods by a long shot.
    Very good meat selection; a week or so ago I picked up a two-pack of Prime tri-tips.  OMG, what great marbling.
    Spouse and I get there about twice a month.
    +1 for the Kirkland Signature bred, consistently outstanding.
    Also, the best price for gasoline in our area.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon