Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Blackstone 36" Griddle is LEGIT

Options

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy- I want to try some fried rice.  Did you follow any particular recipe?  There are tons out there.  I'm leaning towards this one.
    http://www.savoryreviews.com/2011/07/15/japanese-steakhouse-fried-rice/

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Two tips:

Don't use water or milk when mixing the eggs for scrambling or omelets.  I will use some cream or half and half to make it richer.  Try this you will find they taste better.

If you want a fluffy omelet, the trick is to beat the cr*p out of the eggs.  The protein is an emulsifying agent and you want to mix in air - the air gives you the light fluffiness.  You can also mix in a blender.  I will blend my crepes.

Don't cook too hot.  If you do a pan omelet, fairly low heat.  The thicker the omelet the lower the heat.  The griddle can be medium hot, but work fast.
    Options
    I've got a friend who has had one for a couple of years. I think his came preseasoned. Last summer I bought a cheap knock off with a stainless griddle (not cast-iron)  and I hate it. I've cooked on his a ton. It's crazy how fast it can cook breakfast for 8 people. As soon as I get my awning I've been wanting. I'll buy a blackstone for sure. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Two tips:

Don't use water or milk when mixing the eggs for scrambling or omelets.  I will use some cream or half and half to make it richer.  Try this you will find they taste better.

If you want a fluffy omelet, the trick is to beat the cr*p out of the eggs.  The protein is an emulsifying agent and you want to mix in air - the air gives you the light fluffiness.  You can also mix in a blender.  I will blend my crepes.

Don't cook too hot.  If you do a pan omelet, fairly low heat.  The thicker the omelet the lower the heat.  The griddle can be medium hot, but work fast.
    Will definitely try the cream next time.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy- I want to try some fried rice.  Did you follow any particular recipe?  There are tons out there.  I'm leaning towards this one.
    http://www.savoryreviews.com/2011/07/15/japanese-steakhouse-fried-rice/
    I read a bunch and then came up with this.

DAY 1

Make the rice in a rice cooker. I have been using 4 cups uncooked.

Put rice on a pan and mix in my seasoning then put it in the fridge overnight uncovered to dry out as much as possible. (I wish I had written down exactly what I put in the spice, but basically it was ginger, salt, pepper, asian 5 spice and some paprika for color)

I mix up 2 tbs of fish sauce, 2 tbs of oyster sauce and about a half cup of low sodium soy sauce. for later.

I bought the frozen mixed veggies. Some fresh green onion, garlic and scallions. 

And I have been using pork chops, chicken thighs, and thin sliced strip steak for my meat. (I have used my SV to pre cook so I don't have to think about that part. I cook it in advance and throw it in the fridge so I'm just searing and adding flavor on the griddle, no worries about internal temp while I'm learning)

Day 2

So, griddle goes on HIGH

Break up any rice that's caked together. I just bang on it with my spatulas. Get all of the rice separated and keep it cold till you start to cook.

Frozen veggies come out to thaw. 

Meat gets cut into tiny strips and put in fridge till last second.

Ok, now your griddle is screaming hot and you have your food ready and near the griddle. I start with putting vegetable oil and throwing my meat on one side and my rice on the other. After meat goes for a second I turn the rice and then add the veggies to the meat. After that I add the eggs (on this temp they go FAST) and as soon as the eggs are set I combine everything. And start pushing it around and add more oil. Just before you take it off add the wet ingredients and the green onion (also chestnuts or beansprouts if you are into that stuff)
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    Hey y'all I have a question.   I understand that I'm supposed to lay down a thin layer of oil after I cook.  Do you turn the heat up to high while you are doing this or apply the oil after it cools? 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Hey y'all I have a question.   I understand that I'm supposed to lay down a thin layer of oil after I cook.  Do you turn the heat up to high while you are doing this or apply the oil after it cools? 
    I lay my last coat with the heat off but the top still hot from my cook.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    Thanks @Thatgrimguy that's what I needed to know.  Anyways the griddle is seasoned and I made some bacon quesadillas on it for a quick dinner tonight.  Didn't get a chance to take pics because we ate them immediately.  

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @AlbertaEgger   Finally!  Thought you'd be cooking in your touque and mukluks.  
    Phoenix 
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy this is obviously going to be the official go to place for the Blackstone Griddle posts. Sorry to bog you down with all this as I am sure this one will run for a long time. Glad you started it though. Just opening box now!
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    blasting said:
    @AlbertaEgger   Finally!  Thought you'd be cooking in your touque and mukluks.  
    Oh I will be later in the year. I had to track it down and stop delivery and told them to hold it and I will pick the f'n thing up myself. They kept changing dates every day. When it got close to where I was I stopped it. Was a pain in the ass. 
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    @thatgrimguy if you would prefer we could always start a new thread.  Maybe with a throwaway account or something. That way you don't get a million notifications all the time. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    No, I want to see it!! Makes it easy to find griddle stuff.
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    @AlbertaEgger if I had three eggs I doubt I could convince the Mrs to let me have a griddle too.  Good for you man! 

• AlbertaEgger
    Options
    @AlbertaEgger if I had three eggs I doubt I could convince the Mrs to let me have a griddle too.  Good for you man! 
    This is for her. She is pumped!!!! And putting it together right now. 
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    My regulater is damn loud? I have never had this before?
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Mine is too. But it's not as loud when the bottle isn't as full and you aren't on full blast.
  • cazzy
    Options
    Mine is too. But it's not as loud when the bottle isn't as full and you aren't on full blast.
    Okay...glad I wasn't the only one.  I actually turned it off, blew on the valve like a Nintendo Cartridge and it went back to being silent.
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Okay...glad I wasn't the only one.  I actually turned it off, blew on the valve like a Nintendo Cartridge and it went back to being silent.
    Just tried that. No go. 
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    She was the one pumped for the griddle! 
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    With all this talk I used mine today. Been a while since I used it.

Did bacon, hash browns, and eggs. It was better than any restaurant! Hash browns came out great because I was cooking them next to the bacon so they got some bacon grease.

I forgot who brought this up, but I added some washers to those posts where the griddle sets on the cart. It worked out great to get the grease to flow towards the gutter and into the catch.
  • grillman65
    grillman65 Posts: 81
    Options
    Mine is on order, should be tomorrow.
    LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    r8rs4lf said:

Did bacon, hash browns, and eggs. It was better than any restaurant! Hash browns came out great because I was cooking them next to the bacon so they got some bacon grease.

I forgot who brought this up, but I added some washers to those posts where the griddle sets on the cart. It worked out great to get the grease to flow towards the gutter and into the catch.
    I need to do the washer trick.  

For hashbrowns. Did you use a frozen pack? I tried fresh potatoes, but that didn't work out.
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy for fresh potatoes you need something like a ricer to get the moisture out. 

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Just tried that. No go. 

My regulator is as quite as a church mouse. That said I thought it may have been in safety mode. At first I had to run all on high. Seems to have settled in now. One thing I noticed though is after cooking for a while the flames seem to reduce some and the white tips or more noticeable. Maybe just the propane cooling in the tank and lower pressure.

Once I put it in the pavilion counter top will probably move to 40lb tanks.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    r8rs4lf said:

For hashbrowns. Did you use a frozen pack? I tried fresh potatoes, but that didn't work out.
    I've tried frozen and dehydrated/reconstituted with equally unimpressive results. 
    I tried to do a bit of checking and it seems the way to do it is fresh taters through a grater, then completely dried before cooking. Wrap them in paper towel and squeeze/press the life out of them. Repeat with fresh paper towel as needed.
    I will try this, but want to find a new grater with larger openings that I'm not worried about ruining. Current one doesn't work real well for hash browns IMO.
    South SLO County
  • cazzy
    Options
    SoCalWJS said:
    r8rs4lf said:

I've tried frozen and dehydrated/reconstituted with equally unimpressive results. 
    I tried to do a bit of checking and it seems the way to do it is fresh taters through a grater, then completely dried before cooking. Wrap them in paper towel and squeeze/press the life out of them. Repeat with fresh paper towel as needed.
    I will try this, but want to find a new grater with larger openings that I'm not worried about ruining. Current one doesn't work real well for hash browns IMO.
    My wife LOVES hashbrowns and told me this the other day.  "Out of all the kitchen gadgets you have, you still don't have the one I want to use, a mandoline".

So I picked this up and it should arrive tomorrow:

Http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00TZ9MFYQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?qid=1436452210&sr=8-8&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=mandolin&dpPl=1&dpID=51uMM3aM5ML&ref=plSrch
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    @cazzy I have a caphalon mandoline. I really like it but I don't use it as much as I thought I would.