Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket: fail or success

Ok. I'm at the point in my life where I'm going to spend a stupid amount of money so I can get a brisket smoked right. I'm going to include you guys into my brisket adventures. This is my first packer. She is 13 pounds, floppy, and came from restaurant depot. My last brisket attempt was a 4 lb flat that the wife said was too tough. She thought I over cooked it, it was in fact underdone. Below are some pics of my new brisky.....so far. More as she is done, fail or success
St. Johns County, Florida

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Good luck!  I'd take it easy on the seasoning on the flat or it may be too salty.
    I just cooked a 14# from restaurant depot and it was fantastic. I smoked it at 250, took around 12 hours. I started probing it at 190 still a little tough in spots, at 196 the probe went in like buttah. Wrapped it in HDAF and put it in a cooler stuffed with towels. Sliced it a couple hours later still very hot, tender and juicy. Good luck!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Good luck, hope it turns to your liking!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Don't know the size of your BGE but if any of the brisket overhangs your heat deflector make sure you have it foil protected at least til shrinkage takes over.  Also an air-gapped drip pan to catch the rendered fat- you will collect quite a bit.
    For slicing (only when ready to eat) check out the Aaron Franklin brisket payoff video-makes it quite easy.  Don't over complicate it.  "Trust the feel" and enjoy the cook and eats!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    So was the jager involved in the brisket in anyway or just for sipping while prepping?? :)
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Good start and good attitude. Looking forward to more pictures.
    McKinney, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Don't tease Stephen I already know she's done. Still wrapped up or have you sliced it?  Don't slice it till your ready to serve. And only slice off as much as you need. The rest can be vacuum saved and frozen for use at a later time. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797

ok jager was involved. Shes resting in the cooler right now. Its only 11AM!!!!!

I do have pics...stand by

St. Johns County, Florida
  • Looking forward to the outcome! 
    Little Elm, Tx
    LBGE
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Bump
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL