Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spicy Orange Chicken

Options
 So I was feeling a little creative today and made a spicy orange chicken dish.  I picked up a new BBQ wok and wanted to give it a go.  Thanks for looking

Cooked this at 300 degrees with bottom vent shut to help control heat.  

mixed some flour, corn starch salt and pepper, breaded the meat, then mixed in egg and battered a second time.  Fried it with some corn oil

While the chicken was frying, I steamed some broccoli for 5 min. then removed and placed in ice water to prevent over cooking

Onto the kamado it goes at 300, bottom vent closed.  I love this cast wok.  used some oil to sauté some garlic, ginger, orange zest and dried chilli peppers.  Added orange juice, sugar, sesame oil, rice wine and rice vinegar, cornstarch etc to make a thick sauce.  once it started to thicken up, I added the chicken.  Added the broccoli right at the end

Here are the plated shots with some jasmine rice and sriracha sauce

Thanks for looking

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    That looks fantastic.  You may possibly win the internet today with a cook like that!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Other than not having to heat up the wok in the kitchen, are there any advantages to using the wok on the egg?
    Does the food have time to pickup any of the charcoal flavor?

I'm definitely interested in trying a wok on the egg.  

• bosco0633
    bosco0633 Posts: 383
    Options
    The sauce has a hint of charcoal flavour.  It is really nice to be able to do this cook outside
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    That's frickin awesome! I would eat that all day. I have yet to buy a wok yet, but I've seen a bunch of people make some killer dishes with it. This had me thinking though; you said you cooked at 300, is that dome temperature or are you hitting the wok surface with a IR thermometer?
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • bosco0633
    Options
    Dome temp.  I closed the bottoms damper and limited the air flow up top considerably to avoid over heating.  The cast really sucks the heat up quickly 
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    That's a winner 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Options
    @GregW - The egg typically gets a wok hotter than what your normal kitchen stove.  That's the big advantage!
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • bosco0633
    Options
    CPARKTX said:
    That's a winner 
    thanks so much!!

It was really good and really spicy
  • GuitarEC
    GuitarEC Posts: 122
    Options
    I may have to ask for that recipe - that looks restaurant quality, right there!

My best,

Eric "GuitarEC"
    Metro Atl.
  • steventconners20
    Options
    Can you provide the exact recipe.  That looks awesome.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Wylecyot said:
    @GregW - The egg typically gets a wok hotter than what your normal kitchen stove.  That's the big advantage!
    That's a very good point.
  • bosco0633
    Options
    I will write the recipe out tonight for you guys
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Awesome cook!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    Nice. I love the thrill of woking on the egg. The "Oh crap! Im gonna burn the house down" moments are the best. I also enjoy burning my hands through the welding gloves too. Haha. All kidding aside, the wok food comes out amazing and your food proves that
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I just tried to eat my phone.... Great looking cook! 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Damn it man!!! That is one of the better wokkin cooks I've seen lately.  Kudos to you!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Excellent!  Looks delicious and great description!  Kudos!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    I'd like to see how you cleaned your wok after a cook like this.  I'm kind of joking...but mostly serious.  Anytime cornstarch meets my wok, it's a recipe for black cement.  I have a feeling mine needs to be re-seasoned, but I'm not sure.  

This orange chicken looks ridonkulous though.  Nice, nice work

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• bosco0633
    Options
    here is the recipe for those that were askingSpicy Orange Chicken

Chicken

4 boneless/skinless chicken breast
    1.5 cup of flour
    1/2 cup of cornstarch 
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1 tsp black pepper 
    2 eggs
    2.5 cups corn oil
    2 heads of broccoli 

mix the dry powders together and in a separate bowl crack 4 eggs.

cut 4 boneless skinless chicken breast into 1/2” cubes.  

mix the chicken in the flour mix, then remove and mix in the egg.  Once coated in egg remix the meat in a second coating of the flour mix and remove the pieces onto a plate. 

heat a pan with corn oil.  I used about 2.5 cups to a medium/high heat and placed the chicken pieces into the oil.  

I cooked the chicken to an IT of 165 and removed onto a plate lined with paper towel.

while cooking the chicken, I steamed the broccoli for 5 min and then placed in a cold water bath to prevent them from over cooking.

Once the chicken and broccoli are complete, you prepare the sauce

Sauce

3 cups of orange juice
    2 tbsp chinese rice wine
    4 tsp of sesame seed oil
    5 tbsp white sugar
    4 tsp rice vinegar
    3 tbsp of soy sauce
    1 tbsp of cornstarch mixed with 1-2 tsp of cold water. 
    1 tbsp of chopped garlic
    1 tbsp of chopped ginger
    4 tsp orange zest
    4-8 dried chillis, cut into half and remove seeds
    3 green onions chopped

so mix all the liquids into a mixing cup and place to the side.  in a separate bowl mix the cornstarch/water mix this will help thicken the sauce when cooking.

Heat a wok and add about a 1 tbsp of corn oil and sauté garlic and ginger.  Then added the liquid mix into the bowl orange zest and chilli’s.  let that heat up a bit and then add the chicken.

Keep stirring the mix and slowly add your cornstarch/water mix. 

Once the sauce is thick, add the broccoli for the last 5 min.  

remove from heat and add the chopped green onions

serve over a bed of jasmine rice
  • bosco0633
    Options
    SaltySam said:
    I'd like to see how you cleaned your wok after a cook like this.  I'm kind of joking...but mostly serious.  Anytime cornstarch meets my wok, it's a recipe for black cement.  I have a feeling mine needs to be re-seasoned, but I'm not sure.  

This orange chicken looks ridonkulous though.  Nice, nice work
    the wok was messy but very easy to clean.  I used soap and water and a rough sponge to clean it. Then I dried it and coated with oil and stuck it back on the kamado while it was cooling.  I always do this process with my cast after cooking with it.  
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    @bosco0633 Thanks for the detailed recipe man!  I can't wait to give it a try.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • GuitarEC
    GuitarEC Posts: 122
    Options
    Yessir - thank you for the detailed recipe.  I was telling my wife about it, and she's wanting me to have a go at it.
  • Biff_Tannen
    Options
    That looks amazing. Gotta get me a wok ASAP!
    Charlotte, NC
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Bookmarked.  Thanks for sharing.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    Good looking cook. Thank you for sharing. There's been waaaay too much BS and not enough cooking around here lately. 
  • bosco0633
    Options
    thanks for the kind words everyone!!  I really hope you all love it
    500 Posts: 3,177
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You have a Big Red Egg?

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • bosco0633
    Options
    no I have 3 kamado joes but was told long ago it was ok as long as I didnt talk about it here.  I just love cooking and learning and this site has so many members and lots of great cooks
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    10-4.  I'm not being prejudice.  All colors of Eggs are welcome here.

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009