Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Other pizza questions

Any difference 
- using a metal peel or wooden (does a wooden peel need to be sealed or oiled like a cutting board?)
- making small pizzas (<=14") or large (14-20")

Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    I use wood and like it.  I don't season it in any way.  Just wipe with a damp towel to clean.  To avoid the dough sticking to it, put some flour on it and rub it in good with your hand.  No need for parchment paper. That's really all you need to do.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    I normally make small pizzas because I have a small stone.  As far as wooden vs steel there won't be any difference.  Word to the wise I way overpaid for my peel at Williams Sonoma.  I like it a lot but I wish I had bought a cheaper one. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2015
    Got 5 peels, 3 metal, 2 wood.  The three smaller ones(12 ", 14" pies) were used on the BGE, bigger ones for the Blackstone. (16" pies) 

Mineral oil wouldn't hurt on the wood peel.  I treat as needed for cutting boards, wooden plates, peels.  You will know when your wood needs attention.  Can be found at your local pharmacy.

Find that the wooden peel works best for assembly and launch with a combo of flour and a sprinkle of semolina.  The metal peel is ideal for spinning, removing, and slicing.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."