Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mold in my LBGE

Options
shannonlcorum
shannonlcorum Posts: 200
edited July 2015 in EggHead Forum
As many of you know, I recently had to replace the base and dome of my LBGE when my dog pulled it off the patio and busted it all to hell. By the generosity of the mothership, I was able to get most of the damaged parts replaced. However, now I've noticed that my egg has started developing mold inside in between cooks. I tried letting the lump burn completely out, hoping maybe it would chase out any lingering moisture. I took a peek the other day and noticed the mold is back. It covers all the inside on the bottom and my cooking rack. My egg never did this before. Any ideas on what is causing this or how to get rid of it? The only thing I can think of is when the egg was originally busted, it was raining and the inside ring and firebowl got soaked. Could they have absorbed a lot of  moisture and are now getting moldy because of the heat outside? It's like a black mold with some fuzzies in places. Not very pretty or appetizing. I checked the lid, it all seems to be sealed okay. Cooks fine with no noticeable heat loss. I don't know what to do as I can't use any chemical to clean out the mold. If I take out the insides and hose them down, that might just add to the moisture problem--if that's the issue. I need help. :(
ShannyShooShoo 
Owner of 1 Mini BGE and 1 Wood-fired Brick Oven.
Mother of 4 boys, 1 obese feline, 1 mean-assed chow, 1 rowdy bulldog, and 6 completely spoiled sugar gliders

Comments

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    I'd try doing a couple of clean burns to get any and all moisture out. 
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    How often are you cooking?  If I go out of town for a week or two mine will get mold in it as well, especially as humid as it is in SC.  I normally take a paper towel and wipe off the mold then let it burn at 500 for a while. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Filler' up and let it burn about 600-650 until the lump runs out.  Should get rid of the mold and make it look like new again.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Yes, It is not uncommon to have mold develop in an egg that is not used frequently. I have had it in mine. Typically I don't see mold if I use it at least every two weeks. If it goes unused for a month or so that's when mold can grow.
    As others have said, just do a good 600-650 deg burn to clear out the mold and you will be good to go.
  • shannonlcorum
    Options
    Thanks! I'll give that a try. Do you think investing in a cover would help any? Right now its not covered.
    ShannyShooShoo 
    Owner of 1 Mini BGE and 1 Wood-fired Brick Oven.
    Mother of 4 boys, 1 obese feline, 1 mean-assed chow, 1 rowdy bulldog, and 6 completely spoiled sugar gliders
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I don't think a cover will help.  It is caused from moisture and humidity trapped in the egg.  The egg is pretty water tight.  Some things that will help:
    1) clean the grids after the cook, and remove any drip trays with drippings/liquid.
    2) after the egg has cooled down- open the bottom vent a little do this the next day if cooking at night.  This will allow some air circulation. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    GregW said:
     Typically I don't see mold if I use it at least every two weeks. If it goes unused for a month or so that's when mold can grow.

That hurt me to read.  I can't imagine not using it at least once a week.  We just had a baby and are finishing up our new house and if I haven't grill something in a couple days I get the shakes.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    A clean burn will get rid of the active mold.  To reduce future mold, you might open the vents and allow the egg to breath.  With a Smokeware cap that's easy to do ... otherwise an aluminum foil rain shield will keep the rain out.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I used to have terrible problems with mold if I let weeks go by between cooks.  I talked to a BGE guy when they were at the place I got my Eggs, and he said that it was because I kept the ceramic top on it, that if I opened the daisy wheel and the bottom vent, there would be no mold.  He said he recommended leaving both those vents open, and using the vinyl cover.

Recently I bought the SmokeWare caps, partly because I was tired of worrying about whether it was going to rain or not when I wanted to grill or smoke something, but also partly because with the SmokeWare caps I can leave them "open" all the time with no concern about rain.  I haven't let the Eggs go very long between cooks, yet, but so far, no mold.

I agree with the other folks that doing a clean burn till the lump runs out should get the Egg clean from the mold and also dry it out if that was the problem.  But consider opening the vents between cooks, too, at least a bit.
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    +1 on a smokeware cap left partially open between cooks. 
    GWN
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    Options
    My neighbour at the cottage does not cover his Green Egg.  I always cover mine.  He often has mold and I do not.  I believe the cover is key to keep moisture out if it goes unused for days on end.  I would recommend an aftermarket cover thou as the BGE cover only lasted me one year before the sun broke it down.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    If you don't kill the mold during a cook, it will continue to grow. Think of mold as thousands of tiny dandelions. You can pull them out, but if you don't get the ENTIRE root, they will grow back.

You need a good hot burn, take out the grill, fill it with cheap lump and light it, leave the bottom vent open - you want to peg the dome temp gauge, then back off to 600f until the lump runs out.

Your interior ceramic should be creamy white again when you're done.

Don't just walk away with the bottom vent all the way open, you'll fry the gasket. About halfway open should do it. 4-6 hours.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• GregW
    Options
    GregW said:
     Typically I don't see mold if I use it at least every two weeks. If it goes unused for a month or so that's when mold can grow.

That hurt me to read.  I can't imagine not using it at least once a week.  We just had a baby and are finishing up our new house and if I haven't grill something in a couple days I get the shakes.
    It hurt me to write it also. I have two large eggs and a Portable Kitchen Grill (PK) I keep a constant rotation of all the equipment. We tend to grill more in the warmer months. My cooking area is covered, however it's not as much fun cooking when it's cold outside. In the worst weather it may be a month between cooks. With that being said, I know our weather in Alabama is mild compared to northern states.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I can't believe no one has said it....
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I can't believe no one has said it....
    She is "devastated" that her egg has mold. 

There it has been said. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I'll be your set up man @johnkitchens and we can take this thing on the road!
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Weeks between cooks? Turn in your Egg card.. .you ain't Eggers....
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I'll be your set up man @johnkitchens and we can take this thing on the road!

ohhh ooooh. I want in. Me me me
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Here we go again

Buckle your seatbelts

We're approaching 5PM in the East

@nolaegghead will soon impart his biases. 

Peace
    New Albany, Ohio 

• News2u
    News2u Posts: 335
    Options
    Our egg gets fired up at least 3 times a week. We've practically outlawed our electric range. No doubt the reason why I've never noticed any mold.
    Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.
  • News2u
    News2u Posts: 335
    Options
    To DieselkW: When you do a hot burn, do you leave plate in or out?
    Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.
  • RaleighGuy
    RaleighGuy Posts: 207
    Options
    Never had a problem with mold, but someone at an eggfest one time told me they leave a small can of coffe opened in the bottom of the egg to prevent mold during periods of non-use. That was in NC where the humidity is high and she swore that it kept the mold out. 

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• GregW
    Options
    Never had a problem with mold, but someone at an eggfest one time told me they leave a small can of coffe opened in the bottom of the egg to prevent mold during periods of non-use. That was in NC where the humidity is high and she swore that it kept the mold out. 
    Never heard of putting a coffee can inside. I wonder if it works by absorbing moisture or if there is some kind of chemical released from the coffee that inhibits the mold growth?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Mold grows on coffee too.
    humidty probably is a main cause.  The coffee idea or maybe cat liter would help control the humidity in the egg when not in use.
    MM & XL BGE, Bay Area CA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @jollygreenegg Cat Litter in the egg huh? He'll to da naw!  I'll stick to using mine and not worry about mold. Mold thrives here in FL and will grow rapidly but, I've never seen it inside the eggs. Even occasional usage will help keep mold at bay. Mold is everywhere and occurs naturally.
    https://youtu.be/8t-lkWRlnag
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Here we go again

Buckle your seatbelts

We're approaching 5PM in the East

@nolaegghead will soon impart his biases. 

Peace
    Everyone has biases.  I try to be fair, but if you're biased to the extreme in one direction, I can see how from your perspective as the forum Archie Bunker you feel I'm the one with with a great egregious bias.  I forgive you.