Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KC Kosher Eggfest

Options
My dealer teaming up at a Kosher BBQ Contest August 16 to do KC Kosher Eggfest.  Here is the link for it.  I plan on going.
http://www.libertyhottub.com/kc-kosher-eggfest.php
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    An Eggfest without pork.....thats unique!
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I believe there is pork, it's just been blessed by a rabbi.  The orananizer is a rabbi and he shows cooking ribs and pork but on Facebook.  

Kansas City, Mo.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Think I would show up with beef.

Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    There is no such thing as kosher pork.  I am verklempt at the mere suggestion.
    Options
    George
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I feel foolish about this, since I'm not Jewish and it's irrelevant to me, but for some reason I love it when people are keeping ancient traditions, and it seems sad when we all get sort of homogenized in modern culture.  There's no reason for me to feel sad when people abandon a past cultural or religious heritage, but I often do.  I think the idea of a Kosher Eggfest is really cool, and I hope it is a grand success.  I used to work with a guy who invited us all over to his house every year for the Passover meal, and he'd talk about the history of it all and what the meaning of all of the different dishes was, and I loved the idea and really wanted to go... but any time he was off duty, I was on duty and very busy, and I kept thinking, "next year..."  But I never went.  The idea of celebrating a meal with immense spiritual and cultural significance that one's ancestors have been celebrating in the same way for thousands of years just seems awesome to me.

One of my sons-in-law is of Nicaraguan descent, and I was absolutely fascinated, visiting them from time to time in the early years of their marriage, when his grandmother and aunt would make special feasts for certain religious festivals, sometimes staying up all night making some of these things.  Apparently the tradition where they used to live was that people would all make these things, and then all go house to house and celebrate with each family and share in everyone's feast.  It sounded so cool to me, and I kept wishing he'd videotape some of these special Nicaraguan foods and his aunt and grandmother cooking them, and some of these stories, but that was many years ago, and I was the only one who seemed to find it all fascinating.  Maybe if I'd grown up with it I'd have felt the same way.  They have 3 teenage children, now, and their Nicaraguan heritage doesn't really seem to be part of their lives at all.  They love their now very elderly great aunt and great grandmother and visit them, but when they die no one will know how to make those festival dishes.  I actually got a book on Latin Grilling, by Lourdes Castro, and it's really cool, one big meal from each of several different Latin cultures, one of which is Nicaraguan.  I'm going to make Nicaraguan style churrasco (with beef tenderloin instead of the skirt steak she used, because apparently that's more what Nicaraguans used), sometime, with gallo pinto, chimichurri, pico de gallo, and a tres leches cake, one of these days, and have them all over.

Anyway, I hope the Kosher Eggfest is a wonderful event and a blessing for all concerned!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    "Anyway, I hope the Kosher Eggfest is a wonderful event and a blessing for all concerned!"

Well said.  Ditto.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• gpsegg
    Options
    Here's the story and background:

A local man will put a unique spin on traditional Kansas City Barbecue this weekend.

As RaBBi-Q, a kosher barbecue team will try its luck for just the second time at a Kansas City Barbecue Society-sponsored competition, the Liberty4thFest in Liberty.

Rabbi Mendel Segal will bring his RaBBi-Q team to the competition and he’s got some lofty goals.

“To win and to show that kosher BBQ is just as good as any,” Segal said.

I’m not sure Segal, having only cooked in one other KCBS event in Mound City, Kan., over Memorial Day weekend, is really serious about winning, but he’s clearly serious about barbecue.

“It all started when the rabbi in charge of the organization I work for, the Vaad (The Vaad HaKashruth of Kansas City), urged me to organize a Kansas City Kosher BBQ competition,” he said. “I really ran with the idea, and with the help of one of our board members, Dr. Jason Sokol, and BBQ expert Andy Groneman of Smoke on Wheels BBQ, we launched a very successful first event. Simultaneously, I was bitten by the BBQ bug.”

Segal said he decided to create his own team and compete at other kosher events. So RaBBi-Q was created. The first competition came at the second annual Long Island Kosher BBQ in June 2013.

Segal wanted more, so KCBS events were the natural next step, but there were issues, primarily logistical, all stemming from the kosher side of the equation.

“One of the challenges in competing in many of the event on the KCBS circuit is that most BBQ competitions are on our Sabbath and I cannot cook or even drive or turn on a light,” he said. “The first regular competition I competed in was a bit crazy because I couldn’t get out there and get going until after dark on Saturday night. Needless to say, I was the last team to show up. I then competed in Chicago’s first Kosher BBQ competition a week later.”

Then there’s the matter of pork, which comprises two of the four KCBS categories at Liberty4thFest — pork butt and pork ribs.

As the saying goes, “That’s not kosher.” And I mean that literally. Kosher kitchens can’t cook pork, barbecue or otherwise. So what’s a kosher rabbi pit master to do? Find another barbecue pit master who can cook your pork.

Enter Duane Daughtery of Mr. Doggity Barbecue Fame who met Segal at the Kansas City Kosher Barbecue contest and has now signed on to handle the pork butt and pork ribs categories in Liberty.

“I will do the pork butt and ribs as I would for any other KCBS competition, but I do take very seriously the respect of Mendel’s half of the tent,” Daughtery said. “We may joke between ourselves, but I don’t consider his faith and respect for his equipment a joke. I revere him and admire him as well as his faith and his equipment and I would never consider defiling his side of the operation.”

Like Segal, Daughtery has set his sights high for this weekend’s smokefest, saying he wants to win, or at least show well.

“I don’t want to be seen as a novelty, but rather as a serious BBQ team who just happens to be half kosher and half infidel,” Daughtery joked.

Both Segal and Daughtery are good enough sports to poke fun at their strange bedfellows relationship, but they both take the art of smoking meat and competing, seriously. I asked Segal what he thought his strengths were.

“I do make mean burnt ends and beef ribs,” he said. “I am also really good at over-analyzing things. In fact, some advice I was once given was, ‘Stop thinking and cook.’”

Segal said he thinks that’s the best advice he’s ever gotten.

Dave Eckert is the producer and host of “Culinary Travels With Dave Eckert,” which aired on PBS-TV and Wealth TV for 12 seasons, or nearly 300 half-hour episodes produced on six continents. Eckert is also an avid wine collector and aficionado, having amassed a personal wine cellar of some 2,000 bottles.
    George
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    There is no such thing as kosher pork.  I am verklempt at the mere suggestion.
    It's called Jack fruit.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Theophan said:
    I feel foolish about this, since I'm not Jewish and it's irrelevant to me, but for some reason I love it when people are keeping ancient traditions, and it seems sad when we all get sort of homogenized in modern culture.  There's no reason for me to feel sad when people abandon a past cultural or religious heritage, but I often do.  I think the idea of a Kosher Eggfest is really cool, and I hope it is a grand success.  I used to work with a guy who invited us all over to his house every year for the Passover meal, and he'd talk about the history of it all and what the meaning of all of the different dishes was, and I loved the idea and really wanted to go... but any time he was off duty, I was on duty and very busy, and I kept thinking, "next year..."  But I never went.  The idea of celebrating a meal with immense spiritual and cultural significance that one's ancestors have been celebrating in the same way for thousands of years just seems awesome to me.

One of my sons-in-law is of Nicaraguan descent, and I was absolutely fascinated, visiting them from time to time in the early years of their marriage, when his grandmother and aunt would make special feasts for certain religious festivals, sometimes staying up all night making some of these things.  Apparently the tradition where they used to live was that people would all make these things, and then all go house to house and celebrate with each family and share in everyone's feast.  It sounded so cool to me, and I kept wishing he'd videotape some of these special Nicaraguan foods and his aunt and grandmother cooking them, and some of these stories, but that was many years ago, and I was the only one who seemed to find it all fascinating.  Maybe if I'd grown up with it I'd have felt the same way.  They have 3 teenage children, now, and their Nicaraguan heritage doesn't really seem to be part of their lives at all.  They love their now very elderly great aunt and great grandmother and visit them, but when they die no one will know how to make those festival dishes.  I actually got a book on Latin Grilling, by Lourdes Castro, and it's really cool, one big meal from each of several different Latin cultures, one of which is Nicaraguan.  I'm going to make Nicaraguan style churrasco (with beef tenderloin instead of the skirt steak she used, because apparently that's more what Nicaraguans used), sometime, with gallo pinto, chimichurri, pico de gallo, and a tres leches cake, one of these days, and have them all over.

Anyway, I hope the Kosher Eggfest is a wonderful event and a blessing for all concerned!
    I agree with you.  I like old traditions that are carried on.  This is one of the reasons I've settled down in New Orleans.  Second lines, dressing up like pimps for Sunday church, mardi gras, brass bands, festivals and parties, balls, all the different culture and history are diverse and interesting.
    Options
    Thanks for posting that @gpsegg.  I wasn't sure how he was getting around the issue of the pork and I was wrong in my assumptions. sorry for that.  This is still going to be a great event and I hope to attend in some fashion or not.  I may cook on one of the demo eggs or may just go and see how it is all done first.  All I know is my dealer has been trying to put on an Eggfest for a while and the big wigs in KC have made it hard, that's why I believe it is in Overland Park, KS.  Should be fun.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • gpsegg
    Options
    @Ladeback69 , seems like it should be a lot of fun. Hope you go and enjoy and keep us posted.
    George