Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What did I do wrong - temp control?

Options
Q-Scoop
Q-Scoop Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing my first "low and slow" in the egg. Only used one fire starter. After it coals lit, I got the butt on, closed the lid, just let it open a crack on the daisy wheel and the bottom vent and it still went up to almost 400 degrees. Tips appreciated. Catherine

Comments

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    Q-Scoop,
    Not sure what you mean by "a crack". Approximate bottom vent settings and resulting dome temps are; 1/16"= 180-210°, 1/8"= 220-250°, 1/4"= 250-280°, 1/2"= 275-325°, 1"= 325-350°, 2"= 350-400°. Top vent settings are geared more towards "tweeking".[p]If you bottom vent was closed more than 1/4" then I'd start looking to see if the dome is adjusted tightly in the bands. To check get a business card and close the lid on it. It should just tug back a little if the dome is tight. Check this all the way around.[p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    Options
    Q-Scoop,[p]A couple of things could be wrong.[p] 1. Your tempature gauge could be incorrect - recalibrate to be sure[p]2. You are felts are worn and need replacing[p]Is this a Large/Med/Small egg? [p]Did you try and stablize the temp before or after putting the butt on?[p]Thanks,........bigarms
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Hi Catherine,[p]What these guys said plus you need to sneak up to your desired temp. Once you get it too hot it takes a long time to cool it down.
    Kind of like me.

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Q-Scoop
    Q-Scoop Posts: 59
    Options
    That's it! Part of the dome isn't tight enough. Thanks for the business card trick. I never would have thought of it. Catherine
  • Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    Glad to help, Catherine. Nice to know something I picked up on the Forum and kept tucked away in the back of my mind was useful to ya![p]Kelly
  • Paul
    Paul Posts: 2
    Options
    I cannot get my temps past 250 no matter what I do. I have done the business card test and it is hard to pull out with the lid closed except foe one side toward the back. It is easier to pull out at that point but still takes a little tug. I have the bottom vent all the way open but it just seems to stop at 250. I am frustrated with this thing and about ready to sell it.