Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pressure Washing an egg?

Options
I'm thinking of acquiring another egg, used, that seems to have black gunk around the inside. Has anybody used a pressure washer to clean out this type of gunk from an egg? Just curious if this will harm the egg in any way.
From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!

Comments

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

I would not think that is a good idea.

Do a ramped up clean burn and then install a new Rutland gasket .

Or just rub it down with a ball or 2 of aluminum foil. Lightly.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    +1 what @Hotch said. I would never power wash if no other reason than how dirty I would get due to the blow back! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hotch
    Options
    And Ron (aka RRP) is your gasket guy!! Get 2, one for each.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Do not pressure wash it......very bad idea.  Dump a bag of charcoal in it, light, and let it rip.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    No the unglazed ceramic inside is porous and will absorb water and "sweat" when you cook. Not good. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    The inside of my entire egg is black, almost like well seasoned cast iron... just do a burn at first and then leave that seasoning alone
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Then you'll get the gunk sweating thru the green exterior...  Egg sweating black sticky goo..... no bueno!

Agree with Ron and Jonathan - dump in some lump and burn away!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Options

NO, DO NOT DO THAT .Do a huigh tempo burn About 500° till it burn all the lump. The next day while Egg is cold make a big wad of Alum. foil and scour the dome and that should take the stuff off. No Pressure wash.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    No the unglazed ceramic inside is porous and will absorb water and "sweat" when you cook. Not good. 
    like this

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hotch
    Options

like this

No safety screen on that one?
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    fishlessman....see if you can borrow her pressure washer.   I think we all can agree you do need it. LOL

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Post the video if you decide to power wash it! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    Options
    Hotch said:

like this

No safety screen on that one?
    i think there is a screen =)  isnt that enough =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    The first Kamado type cooker I had years ago had a painted finish on the outside. Eventually the paint flaked off due to the heat.
    When the paint was gone the Kamado was porous on the outside. Rain penetrated the ceramic. Needless to say the water turned to steam inside the ceramic during hot cooks. This steam caused the egg to crack in many locations.
    A total loss.
    Thankfully the BGE is glazed ceramic on the outside.
    I can see that water on the inside of the BGE could also cause cracking.
  • ETBee
    ETBee Posts: 46
    Options
    Not to hijack the thread, but I had to disassemble my LBGE to get it off my deck while staining the deck.  I left it in pieces lying in the yard.  Of course, after one day of nice weather it started raining and didn't stop for 6 days.  So my Egg has been soaked through.  Any thoughts on how to dry it out before cooking on it again?
  • GregW
    Options
    ETBee said:
    Not to hijack the thread, but I had to disassemble my LBGE to get it off my deck while staining the deck.  I left it in pieces lying in the yard.  Of course, after one day of nice weather it started raining and didn't stop for 6 days.  So my Egg has been soaked through.  Any thoughts on how to dry it out before cooking on it again?
    I think it will be ok. I would start a small fire in the egg and keep the temp low for a couple of hours until the moisture evaporates. I think I would keep it at 225-250 degrees.

After it has burned for a couple of hours I think you can safely increase the temp.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    The guy in the office next to mine says he cleans his with soft scrub.  :o
  • Elde
    Elde Posts: 148
    Options
    ETBee said:
    What @GregW said...  low and slow and for two or three hours, then maybe 300 for a couple of hours.   Your patience will be rewarded.
  • GregW
    Options
    The guy in the office next to mine says he cleans his with soft scrub.  :o
    Maybe on the outside.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @GregW I asked.... Nice and white....
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    I'd sun bake it first, inside ceramics hitting the sun.  Then do as @GregW said start a low and slo fire and let it steam off for a long time.  Also if you use a hi-que grate or similar replace that with the stock grate.  Small hot glowing orange coals fall thru a hi-que very easily and that could crack a wet base easily.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    You could bake your internals in the oven at a low temp. 
  • Hotch
    edited July 2015
    Options

@fishlessman Looking good sir. Down here in Texas we call that "patina". And charge the tourist 3-4 times as much as it is worth!!

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Great question. Do not power wash. Do not tie your dog's leash to it either.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Cleaning = cooking pizza.
    Options
    Mine is black too. Shows its been used. A clean burn should be sufficient.  I don't think you can wear one out 
    Blue Ridge, GA
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Fish that is the best picture of a well loved egg. I don't think at this point I would ever clean it. That deserves a place in the BGE hall of fame.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.