Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Thermometers - DigiQ DX2

Options
Hi there friends - I am thinking of adding a blower/Thermometer system to my egg for long slow cooks. Am I wasting my money? Is the blower system really needed? - Any better idea's out there. This looks pretty hi tech I am just your average backyard egghead ! Thanks

Comments

• ILikeBigButts
    Options
    My friend let me borrow his Digi Q and I don't want to give it back... If you only are going to use the BGE every once n a while you will never get your moneys worth out of it, BUT if you do overnight smokes or 15+ hour cooks I would DEFINITELY recommend it. Makes me sleep a whole lot better!
    Large BGE | Gainesville, GA

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My friend let me borrow his Digi Q and I don't want to give it back... If you only are going to use the BGE every once n a while you will never get your moneys worth out of it, BUT if you do overnight smokes or 15+ hour cooks I would DEFINITELY recommend it. Makes me sleep a whole lot better!
    I agree, there's nothing like being able to put a butt on and go to bed knowing the temp is well taken care of.
    I never open the egg to look at the butt. I wait until the temp says it ready.

I have a previous generation Stoker controller. It works well.
    I had a BBQ Guru wireless procom and it worked well also.
  • EggcitedinNJ
    Options
    I recently bought a Flame Boss 200. I've used it once and found it very easy to set up and operate and will be doing my second cook with it this afternoon.
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    I have the DigiQ and think it's well worth the money. Set it and forget it!!

Some people don't see a need for it, I'm not one of them.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I have one and absolutely love it.  No worries on temp for those long overnight L&S's.  Only gripe I have is there is no remote monitoring.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    I am willing to bet that everyone on here who has had their Egg a year or more has one or has burrowed one and liked it. By one I mean some type of temperature controller. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Nice toy, but plenty of folks live without them. Are you doing a lot of overnight cooks?

Depending upon your budget and how often that you will use it, a party q may be an alternative.  Less high tech and less cash.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • dmirish1
    dmirish1 Posts: 115
    Options
    I have the same one and now use it on both the LBGE and the MiniMax. Makes the cook so much easier being able to see the meat temp without having to open the lid every 20-30 minutes towards the end of the cooks. I would have cooked plenty of over cooked food without this. I'm not a pro yet so it saves me a lot of tough meat.

Winchester, Virginia LBGE, MiniMax

• Rylee62
    Rylee62 Posts: 8
    Options
    r8rs4lf said:
    I have the DigiQ and think it's well worth the money. Set it and forget it!!

Some people don't see a need for it, I'm not one of them.
    I hope your second cook went well my friend. 
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    I would say depends on how often you do long low and slow cooks. If you do 1-2 a month I would say no it's a luxury at that point. If you cook 5 nights a week all low and slow...YES!!! 
    I have a few of the gurus and would not make it without them. I have never needed to worry. I set it at 250 and that is what it stays at.
    As far as no remote that is true but I use a baby monitor so if something were to go wrong I would hear the alarm.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I bought my Auber pit controller 5 years ago for $100.  It's as simple as it gets.  The reason why I bought it.  No frills but gets the job done while I'm sleeping at night.  They get $145 for them today.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=14_27
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Like others have said it is not needed, there are plenty of guys here who are very successful at doing overnights without one.  I haven't read all the comments but another option is getting a maverick, they are $70 give or take and they will monitor pit temp remotely and alarm if out of range above or below set temps.  Much cheaper option if you don't mind it waking you up at 3am if something goes wrong.

Edit: If you are comfortable with the fires you build a maverick might be a great option for the odd time that something does happen
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada