Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yeti hopper 30

Options

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I want to find some of that ice that melts at 30F.
    Options
    I love rock salting domestic beers. First, they get very cold very fast. Second the salt actually gives the beer some taste. :smiley: 

LBGE in PHX

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I want to find some of that ice that melts at 30F.
    The yeti and beer all being warm ... Melt the ice, its not all gone just slushed.
    Seattle, WA
  • malligator
    malligator Posts: 102
    Options
    So, we have a Tundra 65 and 45 and a Roadie 20. We LOVE all three of them. The 65 might have been a little big for our needs, but we bought it first not knowing for sure what size we wanted and we're not getting rid of it. Anyway, what's the allure of the Hopper? Ergonomics? I LOVE LOVE LOVE my seafoam green Roadie, but when it's full it can get pretty awkward to carry with the way it bangs into the side of your thigh.

LBGE in PHX

• SkinnyV
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Agree on roadie being awkward, @Mickey ditched the handle which makes sense when its full.
    I got the hopper as a nice picnic, beach, party bag.its just easier than the bulky roadie.
    Seattle, WA
  • malligator
    malligator Posts: 102
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Agree on roadie being awkward, @Mickey ditched the handle which makes sense when its full.
    I got the hopper as a nice picnic, beach, party bag.its just easier than the bulky roadie.

That's all well and good, but can you use a Hopper as an impromptu diving board? :smile: 

LBGE in PHX

• SkinnyV
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Temp dropping rapidly , latest cold one 23 degrees. So these suckers are going to freeze if I leave em overnight.
    Seattle, WA
  • Volegger
    Volegger Posts: 9
    Options
    Volegger said:
    If you're not dead set on the Yeti, take a look at Pelican coolers. Better latches, better handles. Never had a Yeti but LOVE my Pelican, made in the USA and lifetime warranty
    Does Pelican make a soft sided cooler? I'm not very familiar with their line up. 
    I don't think they do. I know they make cases for the military... for guns, sensitive equipment, etc. 

• DIAD
    DIAD Posts: 187
    Options
    I just pulled the trigger and purchased it.  The only deal I could get was free shipping.  Tackle direct was offering the free side kick BUT no stock until August.  Thanks everyone and I'm looking forward to it.  Life is to short for warm beer.
    Chester, MD
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Maybe it's just me but I think mine sucks. holds ice a day or so. Meh.....

If I paid $350 I would be so pissed. I got it for free and don't even like it. It's about $300 overpriced.

I'll pay twice what its worth.

$100! =)
    Gittin' there...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Maybe it's just me but I think mine sucks. holds ice a day or so. Meh.....

If I paid $350 I would be so pissed. I got it for free and don't even like it. It's about $300 overpriced.

I'll pay twice what its worth.

$100! =)
    Such a gentleman :lol: 

It is way overpriced but since I got it for nuthin, I'll just keep it to look cool at parties.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • hoffmand
    hoffmand Posts: 105
    Options
    Where do you live?  If you're in the Austin area I know where you can save quite a bit off retail on the 30
    Cedar Park, TX
  • -Jas-
    -Jas- Posts: 22
    Options
    hoffmand said:
    Where do you live?  If you're in the Austin area I know where you can save quite a bit off retail on the 30
    Where's that at?  I'll be drive thru Austin tomorrow. 
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    I've never done it in a Yeti but we used to do it on Canoe trips all the time in crap coolers. It really works great. If you let it sit (like overnight) it would all freeze up in big chunks with beers enveloped. 

You will never have a colder beer. 
    Are you talking about cooling beer?

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • SkinnyV
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Well the trick worked well , later in the night the canned beer had some freeze, but the bottles did not. I reloaded it 2 times with warm beer (about 8 total bottles) and by this AM the ice was gone. At 2 pm I had a few after yard work and can still was slushy inside. At 5pm about 28 hours from fill with ice and warm beer my fil and I had a couple beers still ice cold after the sons baseball game. There are a few left but just ran 4 miles to work some of them off so I'm done. I'm sure they are still 30 degrees or so.
    Seattle, WA
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    hoffmand said:
    C&B?
    Gittin' there...
  • MeAndTheDog
    MeAndTheDog Posts: 73
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You won't be impressed with the hopper
    Conway, S.C.
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    A great way to save 15% on Yetis and free shipping is to buy fro Austinkayak.com. Sign up for there email and they give you a15% discount on the order. The shipping is lighting fast. 
    McKinney, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Lmidkiff said:
    A great way to save 15% on Yetis and free shipping is to buy fro Austinkayak.com. Sign up for there email and they give you a15% discount on the order. The shipping is lighting fast. 
    They are great folks too. Bought my ramblers there in person. 
  • hoffmand
    hoffmand Posts: 105
    Options
    -Jas- said:
    hoffmand said:
    CB Hardware in Cedar Park.  Friend of mine runs it. I'll PM you the details. 
    Cedar Park, TX
  • Bullhalsey
    Bullhalsey Posts: 108
    Options
    I have 2 YETI coolers, the 65 and the Roadie. Love them both.  I have the YETI 30 oz Rambler, and really love it.  I bought the YETI 30 HOPPER a few months back, and I have to say I am extremely disappointed.  I bought it thinking it would be easier to tote to the beach, the river, etc.  And while that is true, the ice retention is terrible.  I literally wrote a complaint about it to YETI just this weekend.  They responded quickly, and told me that it would have difficulty retaining ice if it "wasn't filled all the way to the top with ice"...meaning don't leave any "dead air space" in the Hopper.....I find that explanation a little ridiculous, and told them that I expected much better results for a $299 cooler.
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    Lmidkiff said:
    They are great folks too. Bought my ramblers there in person. 
    I think most people with a Yetish would be happiest buying at Austin Kayak.  Bought my Roadie, Ramblers and Colsters from them. 

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • -Jas-
    -Jas- Posts: 22
    Options
    hoffmand said:
    -Jas- said:
    hoffmand said:
    CB Hardware in Cedar Park.  Friend of mine runs it. I'll PM you the details. 
    Thanks for the info. I will be in touch with him on my next trip down.  
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    On day 16 of the trip (Kingman AZ tonight) from Salado to Jasper Canada and down the Wash/OR coast. Took the Yeti 45 and a Polar Bear. Each day motel ice for drinks in the Polar Bear but about every 4 days in the ice added to the Yeti. The Yeti still has a small solid peace of org ice from Texas. Would go well over the 4 days but would drain water (Yeri says not too) as do no like it splashing around driving. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Update: loaded the hopper full of drinks and ice today at 2:30pm. It was in the trunk and it was 91 degrees outside. At 8:30 pm I went to grab a drink and there was no ice at all in the cooler. Water was still pretty cold but no ice at all. It's hard as hell to load and unload and if you have drinks at the bottom they are very difficult to get to. I'm a yeti guy and I got this one free so I'm fine with it. If I paid $350 for it, it would be going right back to where I bought it. 6 hours of ice is a joke for a $350 cooler. Even in a 110 degree trunk. 
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    I've been using my hopper 20 for picnics and day trips with my kids on the beach. I use a few cool packs and it keeps our food and drinks cold. On a boating trip ice lasted 6 hours or so with cold drinks. Overall im pleased, its a great looking well made bag. Its enticed me to pack more stuff to go saving $$. Is it better than a standard bag cooler, doubt it but I am not going to over analyze it, paying for the brand name and bag quality pretty much.
    Seattle, WA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I know it has been said already but I would strongly recommend the Polar Bear cooler if you want a soft cooler.  They are around $60 on Amazon right now and in December you can get 2 for $80.  I filled it with ice from my freezer ice maker and it lasted over 24 hours sitting on my deck in GA with highs close to 90 degrees.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Volegger said:
    If you're not dead set on the Yeti, take a look at Pelican coolers. Better latches, better handles. Never had a Yeti but LOVE my Pelican, made in the USA and lifetime warranty
    I don't have anything other than a Coleman now. When I do buy I'm going with the Pelican. I have read numerous reviews touting the better latches/handles.
    Not to mention the lifetime warranty and being made in the USA.

Looks like a winning combination. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I know this is totally personal preference, but the only good use I've ever had for a soft-sided, purse-like cooler is when my wife ties a scarf or two around the strap to dress it up like a purse and then walks it full of beer into places where you're not allowed a cooler.  the yeti wouldn't work for that, you would need more than a scarf to disguise that one.
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Lmidkiff said:
    A Big Thank You @Lmidkiff .. I was eyeing a Roadie and thanks to you I saved almost $50 (incl. local sales tax) by ordering from ACK.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL