Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Help Cookin' Butt

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought an Egg and would like to cook a Boston Butt and make pulled pork for the first time....any sugestions?
SD

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Grill Dude,[p]Welcome to the family and forum. Below is a link to Elder Ward's recipe and detailed technique for cooking this excellent meal. This should give you a good start. Holler back if you have any more questions.[p]Spin

[ul][li]NC style pulled pork[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Grill Dude,
    Welcome to the group! Like Spin mentioned, Elder Ward's recipe is excellent. I like to score the fat on top in a diamond pattern...helps the rub penetrate better. Also been cooking butts at 250 dome temp (indirect over a drip pan). Even at 250, it still takes 2 hours per pound or more....so allow plenty of time. You'll hit a "plateau" in the 160 (internal temp) range, where it will sit for hours. This is the critical time where the connective tissue breaks down, and the fat renders. Once you get past 180 internal, try twisting a fork in it....if it twsists easily it is ready to come off. Usually mine are done around 190.[p]Let it rest for about 30 minutes, then 'pull' away! Two forks work great, and some use fireman gloves to pull. If it is done early, it will stay hot in a dry cooler for several hours.[p]Have fun....it is one of the best things you can cook on the egg....next to brisket.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Spin,
    Having just made Elder Ward's rub for a 7# butt going on humpty this afternoon, I want to suggest that newbies can cut that rub recipe in half and still have some left over. Perhaps the proportion of each spice is what is important, but using a true tablespoon vs the "tablespoon" in the silverware drawer makes twice what a guy can get to stick to the butt and still have plenty to get all over the counter and kitchen floor which my wife points out I do a pretty good job of doing!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.