Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

King Mackerel Suggestions????????

NCMike
NCMike Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got back from deep sea fishing yesterday with 10 pounds of king mackerel steaks. [I also caught a 35# baracuda that I wound up giving to an elderly (supposedly) homeless couple(who amazingly had enough $ to each have a pack of cigarettes in their pockets).] Any idea how best to cook the mackerel? Thanks for any and all advice!

Comments

• NCMike,
    Filet it out clean, remove all dark red meat, that's the blood line and is strong. Cut it into chunks about the size of your biggest spatchula, soak it in milk for a few hours, and then marinate it in something like Itallian dressing for as long as you can. Grill with bottom vent open and daisy wheel slots open, (but not the big hole). Baste it while grilling with a homemade sauce. Something with coctail sauce, touch of steak sauce, dash of worchestershire or soy sauce, cup of smashed orange, cajun seasoning(of course), and anything else that strikes your fancy. Make your basting sauce to where it taste good on your finger, and it will be fine.. The main thing is to avoid direct flame contact, and keep the flesh moistened with the basting sauce. Be imaginative. It's a good grilling fish. Grill until it is fairly firm. It cooks fairly fast. GudLuk!

• NCMike
    NCMike Posts: 28
    King-O-Coals, Thanks for the info. The mate on the boat has already cut it into steaks. I've got more than I can eat or store! Thanks again.