Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anybody have good step by step for Ribs??

Options
Now I know this could be as complex as asking for political views but I'm gonna try anyway.
i wanna do ribs for the first time ever on my Large Egg.  I need a tried and true detailed instruction for smoking ribs. 
I was getting some great advice in my other post but I felt it good to start this one since it was getting off topic. I'm not looking for something too complex but just something I can make and feel good about myself!!
Thanks
LBGE. Plate setter, PS Woo2, Flame Boss 200.  Moorestown, South Jersey (about 15 min outside of Philly, Don't hold it against me.  I would most likely rather live where you are)

Comments

• lantzwr
    lantzwr Posts: 229
    Options
    RobLarge BGE, Merritt Island, (Space Coast of Florida)

Boiler UP
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Here's what I do...

1. Pull membrane
    2. Apply rub. You can do this an hour before or longer, but need to refrigerate if you do
    3. Get egg stabilized to 225-250* using whatever smoke wood you want. I prefer fruit wood for ribs. You'll be cooking these indirect
    4. Put ribs on egg and close lid.
    5. Have an adequate supply of your beverage of choice on hand (reminds that I need to run by the beer store as I am doing ribs for tonight myself)
    6. Enjoy said beverages. Don't do anything to the ribs, not even look at them, until about 4 hours in (depending on your cooking temp)
    7. Start testing for doneness and pull when they pass the bend test.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    In my mind there are 2 ways to do ribs.  The turbo method or the Texas crutch method.  Both produce excellent but different results.  Below are a couple write ups I've done with pics.  For what it's worth, I'm partial to the turbo ribs and that's what I'm doing today.  Cheers!

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1153054/ribs-3-1-1-method

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1179942/turbo-ribs-last-night-with-pics
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    @TexanOfTheNorth describes what I have done for 4 years.  If you want to add sauce, I put it on about hour 4 as my ribs, usually baby back, almost always take 4.5 hours. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • SteveinTN
    SteveinTN Posts: 232
    Options
    Mine are simple and great
    - I don't buy SAMs anymore
    - we have a GFS store they look nice
    - remove membrane - cover with Tony's or season of choice
    - egg indirect 225
    - I use 1 or 2 red cups of jack Daniels hickory chips
    - put 3 racks bone side down 
    - I rotate them every hour as tHe outer racks are getting some direct heat 
    - after 3 hours I foil each rack with 1/3 stick butter cook them another 30 min to hour bone side up.

they never disappoint 
    steve
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Follow texan of the north. Simple tried and true.
  • RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    Options
    Car Wash Mike method is by far the easiest method and you'll get the best results. I've just about tried them all and keep going back to the Car Wash Mike method.
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • A31unit
    A31unit Posts: 199
    Options
    Wow. Thanks for all the great responses. It seems like there is the quick method and method that includes more ingredients and wrapping in foil post cook. I will try both.
    can someone clarify this part in Car Wash Mike's post.
     "I always use an inverted V-Rack. I think the heat off the plate setter and drip pan, cause a tough skin on the bone in side"
    i thought there was only one real way to use a V rack for ribs
    LBGE. Plate setter, PS Woo2, Flame Boss 200.  Moorestown, South Jersey (about 15 min outside of Philly, Don't hold it against me.  I would most likely rather live where you are)
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    Don't over think this, do as the Texan says! If I want "sticky ribs", I do as  Sea to ski does. Never foiled, never turboed, at 66, I don't rush any more...
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • A31unit
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I am gonna go with @TexanOfTheNorth method for my first go at it.   It is simple and there is no over thinking or stress involved.  Apple juice injections, etc might be too much for me at first.
    It seems smoke em get em off and enjoy!
    thanks
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Spares or baby backs. This will matter with cook time as spares are meatier. 

Then, do you want fall of the bone or a little bite required to get off bone. This will determine if need for foil or not. 

Always pull membrane 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • jhayesbge
    jhayesbge Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm trying ribs for the first time on my new BGE.  II can't get my BGE to get below 260.  The vent and cap are barely open.  It's been like this for the last 1.5 hours.  If I adjust the vents any more, they'll be closed.
    Kansas City, MO - XL, LG, SM
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    @jhayesbge you'll be fine at 260
  • Chubbs
    Options
    jhayesbge said:
    I'm trying ribs for the first time on my new BGE.  II can't get my BGE to get below 260.  The vent and cap are barely open.  It's been like this for the last 1.5 hours.  If I adjust the vents any more, they'll be closed.
    Few things. First, 260 won't hurt anything. Second, if you overshot your temp (before cooking) with an indirect stone in, the stone holds heat so hard to get temp back down. Always begin closing down the vents while temp is on way up. Third, and this is doubtful on new egg, but you can always calibrate your thermometer-- it could be high but again doubtful. 
  • ChristinaSunshine
    Options
    @Chubbs - Same SET UP as CW Mike for St Louis Style, just longer cook?  That's on my menu this lovely 4th of July!

• jhayesbge
    jhayesbge Posts: 13
    Options
    Chubbs thanks for the feedback.  I did over shoot my heat.  I calibrated the thermometer last night based on advice on this forum, good advice.  I will say that i'm using a igrill2 with an pro ambient probe.  The igrill2 is the temp i'm using.  I'm thinking that maybe the thermometer is cooler than the probe since it's closer to the stone.
    Kansas City, MO - XL, LG, SM
  • Chubbs
    Options
    jhayesbge said:
    Chubbs thanks for the feedback.  I did over shoot my heat.  I calibrated the thermometer last night based on advice on this forum, good advice.  I will say that i'm using a igrill2 with an pro ambient probe.  The igrill2 is the temp i'm using.  I'm thinking that maybe the thermometer is cooler than the probe since it's closer to the stone.
    Dome temp is usually ~20 degrees hotter than grate temp but they will grow closer the longer the cook
  • Chubbs
    Options
    @Chubbs - Same SET UP as CW Mike for St Louis Style, just longer cook?  That's on my menu this lovely 4th of July!

I don't foil my ribs but for baby backs I cook 5 hours. Spares I cook 6 hours. I go traditional 250 dome temp and cook 4 hours with rub only and last hour sauce for Bb and 5/1 for spares
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Just a couple of observations.

Early on I did CWM's method several times. It all but guarantees very tender ribs. But they are sauced, and I came to prefer unsauced "dry" ribs. Also, it is possible to screw up by leaving the ribs in the foil too long. Tho' still very edible, the meat can go to mush.

TexanOfTheNorth, but about 25F higher, and I prefer oak for smoke.

The turbo method works well. I've done it a few times, and still need some more practice. The only down side seems to me to be a little less smoke flavor.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I did 3 racks this way yesterday, except I applied rub the night before, cut the racks in half, and used the V rack to hold them vertically until I sauced them, and didn't bother with a drip pan...I just foiled over the plate setter with a small paver in the center to raise it to encourage drippings to flow out to the edges.  Cooking time was around 5 hours.  Everyone loved them.  I thought they were just a little dry, and wonder now if applying the rubs the night before might be doing more harm than good.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options

gdenby said:
    Just a couple of observations.

Early on I did CWM's method several times. It all but guarantees very tender ribs. But they are sauced, and I came to prefer unsauced "dry" ribs. Also, it is possible to screw up by leaving the ribs in the foil too long. Tho' still very edible, the meat can go to mush.

What foil?  The CWM method uses no foil.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Here's what I do...

1. Pull membrane
    2. Apply rub. You can do this an hour before or longer, but need to refrigerate if you do
    3. Get egg stabilized to 250* using whatever smoke wood you want. I prefer fruit wood for ribs. You'll be cooking these indirect
    4. Put ribs on egg and close lid.
    5. Have an adequate supply of your beverage of choice on hand (reminds that I need to run by the beer store as I am doing ribs for tonight myself)
    6. Enjoy said beverages. Don't do anything to the ribs, not even look at them, until about 4 hours in (depending on your cooking temp).  Flip them.
    7. Start testing for doneness and pull when they pass the bend test.
    8. When close to done, open the vents a lot to increase temp to 325* and add sauce during last 30 minutes.

Basically what I do.  Minor tweaks in bold.  I use 250* minimum as a target as it seems to be a more worry free target. The higher temps crystallizes the sauce a bit.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Brad @ Lake Hartwell
    Options

This is the result of years of experimentation by a friend of mine. 

Baby Back Ribs - cut in half - membrane removed

1 hour before cooking - Spread a light coat of yellow mustard and dry rub.

Moist Hickory Chips on the fire

Cook in rack at 250 for 3 hours - use a drip pan with some liquid 

Remove - put rack in a pan with liquid – (Beer and Root Beer, etc.) - cover tight with foil 

Cook at 350 for 1.5 hours - can use a gas grill for this

Remove the plate setter from the BGE - gloves are suggested.

Remove ribs from rack - carefully - put flat on BGE 

Cook direct heat at 275 for 1.5 hours

• A31unit
    Options
    @TexanOfTheNorth do you use V Rack for ribs?
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Perfect every time and super easy. I have two slabs on as I type. 

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/best_BBQ_ribs_ever.html
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    A31unit said:
    @TexanOfTheNorth do you use V Rack for ribs?
    No. Won't hurt if you do though.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Such awesome feedback, I was questioning the same style choices earlier today and chose the CWM's... Almost to the sauce stage and everything looks amazing! Super impressed can't wait to taste them.
    LBGE
    Atoka, TN
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    Ol Mike has had me tied to the patio for 5-6 hrs many times since I tried that recipe.
    Well worth the time. Better baby backs than any I have ordered out.
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL