Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket

Options
Bought a 13 lb full packer from Walmart the other day.  Trying to decide when to start the cook.  I am thinking of cooking in the 225-250 F range.  I am thinking this could be a 16-18 hour cook, is that about right?
RobLarge BGE, Merritt Island, (Space Coast of Florida)

Boiler UP

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,333
    Options
    If you have a controller you will have no problem maintaining that cook temp.  If not, (and I don't) I find that my LBGE has a sweet spot around 250-270*F on the dome where it will settle in.  I plan on about an hour/lb when dialed in around 270*F or so.  Regarding time, you are likely in the right range for your temp but the brisket will cook at its own pace.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    As @lousubcap says, they all cook at their own pace. I suggest planning on the 16+ hour cook but, be prepared for something much shorter; even in the 12 hour range. The good news is that brisket can be ftc'd for (easily) 4-5 hours if necessary so, better to finish early than have everyone waiting on a delayed dinner.

Good luck and make sure you post some pics.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Thanks for the info.  I will post pics when I put it on, and as the cook goes.

Boiler UP
  • lantzwr
    lantzwr Posts: 229
    Options
    Trimmed and rubbed with mustard and salt and pepper. Thinking about putting on the egg at 10 tonight. 

Boiler UP
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    That timing should work well. I've done it many times. Put it on at 10 or 11 PM and check the temp at 6 AM. Then adjust cook temp as needed. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lantzwr
    Options
    Decided not to go overnight.  Got up at 4, lit the egg and got it stabilized at 250.  Put the brisket on about 530.  Wish me luck  :)

Boiler UP
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Good luck! What time are you planning to serve?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Its just for the wife and I, so no set time.

Boiler UP
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    lantzwr said:
    Its just for the wife and I, so no set time.
    Ok, no pressure time wise then. Enjoy the ride and keep us posted throughout the day.

Happy 4th!
    Options
    Will do.  Happy 4th to you also.

Boiler UP
  • lantzwr
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Well, its been on for an hour and a half.  Meat sitting at 129, temperature holding steady 250-260 F.

Boiler UP
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    lantzwr ...don't forget the other golden rule..."if you're lookin', you ain't cookin' !!!!!  Can't wait to see this baby later this evening !!!!  Happy 4th !

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• lantzwr
    Options
    @dldawes1 ....will definitely post pics when she's done.  Happy 4th back at ya.

Boiler UP
  • lantzwr
    Options
    I think I have made it to the stall after 6 hours...sitting steady at 172 F meat temperature for a bit now.

Boiler UP
  • lantzwr
    Options
    Damn, hearing some thunder.  Gonna put my new Smokeware Cap to the test for the first time.  Anything else I need to do to with the cook in the rain if it does come (never had to cook in the rain before)?

Boiler UP
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    No.
    Options
    Thanks @TexanOfTheNorth .

Boiler UP
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,333
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Just trust in the "feel".  When you probe the thickest part of the flat and it feels like buttah then you are there.  The whole thing will also feel quite "loose" at that point-literally a big ol' hunk of beef that jiggles before your eyes. 
    Enjoy the cook and the eats that await.  
    And only slice (against the grain) when ready to eat.  Dries out before your eyes.
    Give the Aaron Franklin "payoff" brisket youtube video a look on how to slice that beef.  Makes it very easy to follow.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lantzwr
    Options
    Need a bit of help.  Egg is still at 250, brisket stalled for a bit at 170, then again at 181 for quite some time.  Rose to 190, still probed a little stiff.  Been holding again at 190 for about an hour.  Some areas are probing good, but there are some stiff spots.  Its a 12 lb brisket that has cooked for 12 hours.  Should I go a bit more?

Boiler UP
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    More than one stall is not uncommon. If a probe dors not slide in and out, in the thickest part of the flat, you're not there yet.
    Options
    Thanks @TexanOfTheNorth .  Temp got to 201 F and it probed like butter all through the point.  Took it off and it is resting for 30 minutes before I carve it up.  Will have some sliced pictures soon.

Boiler UP
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Looking forward to the pics!
    Options
    The true "feel" is in the flat-the point is just along for the ride.  Good luck.  Time and temp are just guidelines with the brisket.  FWIW-
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    That's a great looking brisket. Congratulations 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Great looking brisket.  Agree with just test the flat. Point is good regardless.  Any sliced pics?
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • lantzwr
    Options
    Well, I was a bit disappointed, the flat was dry, but the point was on point (pardon the pun).  The flat sure felt like it probed like butter, but I guess it should have been softer butter :bawling: .  I got a little spooked when the internal temperature jumped from 194 to 201 in about 30 minutes, so I decided to pull it.  The flat didn't even come close to the "pull test".  Could I have possibly missed the sweet spot and cooked it a bit too long?  Attached are pictures of many slices from the flat, and two slices from the point.

Boiler UP
  • djmsalem
    djmsalem Posts: 46
    Options
    The brisket is a cruel mistress. I think you have to do a lot of them -- many more than I have -- to be able to get reliable, repeatable great results.

When you pulled the pieces apart sideways, did they come apart or did you have to tug them hard? If they were crumbly, you went too far. But your slices are thin and they don't look crumbly, so it may just be that your brisket was on the lean side of Choice and you didn't have that much fat to begin with.

I used to get my briskets at Costco, and I still get some of my meat there. But not beef anymore, because while I don't doubt it's Choice, I think it may be at the lower end of the grade and that's what you might have gotten at WalMart. Too lean is going to make juicy a tough proposition. When I suspect there's not much fat inside I pull early, thinking people would rather chew a little than eat something dry. Other people may have a different opinion.

Either way, your first attempt is a darned sight better than mine was.

There is this line at the very end of "Bagger Vance," which goes something like, "Golf is a game that can't be won, but only played."

I think it's kind of the same with cooking brisket.
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, CyberQ, Ash Kicker, SmokeWare SS Chimney Top
  • lantzwr
    Options
    I had to tug really hard to pull the flat pieces apart @djmsalem . Thanks. 

Boiler UP
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I liked the thread, and I am going to keep it for reference. It is a fine looking cook, and I would have loved it on my plate. Just remember: we are all OCD HERE! That is why we got the egg.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    @lantzwr, sorry to hear that your brisket did not turn out the way you wanted. I agree with @djmsalem... from the pics, it looks moist. Glad that the point hit the mark.