Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4th of July Party

Options
For the past 4-5 years, my neighbors and I have had a 4th of July party.  For me, the 4th of July will start today when I put a bunch of pork butts on my LBGE to have ready on Saturday.  That's not the exciting part.  The exciting part is what showed up on my doorstep yesterday afternoon -

How this came to land at my doorstep was that I opened a bottle of wine for my SWMBO and after a couple glasses I started talking about the 4th of July.  I went on and on and, long story short, she gave approval to order a SRF brisket, which I immediately did!  Ironically, the wine I opened up for her was Troublemaker Red.  Being that I felt that I was on a roll with my SWMBO, I took some liberty and upgraded to the SRF Gold.  I've done the SRF Black before, but have never been able to pull the trigger on a Gold. Troublemaker wine makes a person do some awesome things.

I felt like a kid on Christmas morning opening it up and I have to admit that I got all verklempt when I got it out and looked at it 

I damn near near cried when I saw how much it weighed!

20.4 lbs!  This will be the biggest brisket I've ever cooked.  The point is humongous!

The plan is to simply rub it down with mustard and use s&p to season it.  I'd like to pull it off at 3:00 in the afternoon of the 4th so it can FTC for 3 hours and eat around 6:00.  Oak wood for smoke. 

Speaking of FTC, has anyone used a styrofoam cooler to FTC?  The cooler that this shipped in is pretty thick and I'm thinking of using that to FTC which would free up a cooler for other uses.  This is the cooler I'm taking about -

I dont see see any reason not to, but thought I'd see if anyone had thoughts on it.

I plan on updating this post with more pictures as the process goes along this weekend!
Large BGE

Neenah, WI

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Nice! I've used wine with Mrs TOTN before but, never to buy a brisket!  B)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options

Yes you can use the cooler for FTC. I have a couple and do it every time.

Looks like a party at your place!!

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Excellent use of wine!  Excellent!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nice brisket, nice use of "verklempt", and yes, you can use that cooler to FTC. 

Three hours....if your timing is right, it's not going to cool down too much even if just tented, you actually want it to cool down to 140 F or so because cutting it at the end-point temp (i'm gonna guess it will be done around 185-195), you can lose some moisture to steam, plus, who puts anything that hot in their mouth? 

Let it cool down a bit, cut thick slabs on demand and enjoy! 
    Options
    Stoogie   I know you are one happy man !!!! I've never even seriously considered a SRF before...only hoped and dreamed...I guess I'll have to pull out something stronger than sweet tea for Edith !

nolaegghead  Cut on demand !! Why have I never caught this as the preferred serving method and a very good way to keep that heat and moisture in???  I've been on here for 1-1/2 years and never saw this advice before.

Always learning !!

Prime rib this weekend....guarantee it will be cut on demand !!!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Better to be lucky than good any day.  What a great score-and all it took was some wine.  You should keep that wine in stock-never know what you may think of for it next...
    I use the SRF coolers for FTC whenever I have the need for the process.
    Given the size of the hunk of beef just make sure anything not inside the shield of your heat deflector is well foil protected.  Also have an air gapped drip pan.  You will not believe the quantity of fat that will render.  And I have never upgraded to the gold.
    With that size and a LBGE, I would plan to drape it over an inverted roast rack or brick to help with the fit til shrinkage takes over.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    My wife and I recently discovered that wine at a restaurant. We liked it so much she bought two bottles of it the next day. Now I know it's true power. I just have to decide what to ask for (evil laugh voice) BWAHAHAHAHA. 

Slicing on demand is the way to go. I recently converted to that. 

And the styrofoam cooler will definitely work. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• BigJonMoo73
    Options
    That looks amazing... I want to watch the updates of this thing being cooked. Yum!
    Little Elm, Tx
    LBGE
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Options
    @nolaegghead - thanks for the advice!  I'd never considered the cooling down time, so I went ahead and started it earlier tonight.  Hoping for it to get done between noon - 2:00 tomorrow.

I've got to say..... This SRF brisket comes off as advertised and it isn't even done yet.  I stopped at my place that I usually buy briskets to get some red oak for this cook and priced out choice grade angus brisket -  - $5.99/lb!!  I envy those who are cooking the $2/lb briskets in Texas tonight!

@lousubcap - I did take your advice and draped the brisket over a rib rack and out some HDAF under the spots that were over direct heat.

I did season this with a mix of s&p, leaning a bit heavier on the pepper.  I trimmed only about 1.5lbs of fat off it, so I'm calling this a 19lb brisket.

Did some pork butts last night to bag up and put in the fridge until tomorrow.... This is what they were looking like earlier today - 

I hope that everyone is enjoying their 4th of July!
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Stoogie...Great lookin butts ya got there !!!

I want to try a SRF brisket someday...I just can't fathom how good they can be....if regular briskets turn out so good.

Maybe one day....

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !!