Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

necessity.........the mother of invention

AUCE
AUCE Posts: 890
edited July 2015 in EggHead Forum
Havent secured my CGI AR yet and have an army showin today...Granddaughters bday..Wings in order...

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    That's a great setup for an extended grid. The u-bolts allow you to set that grid on top of another grid without needing to line straight bolts up with the grid below!

Happy birthday to your granddaughter!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Guess I need to find some stainless steel u bolts!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Looks great! 
    Let's see her in action!
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Saw some of these at HD for under $3, either round or square bent. Great idea.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    I do like the U-bolt idea, but why did you choose four instead of three bolts?  The rear two U-bolts look precariously close to the back edge.  Can they slip off? With three bolts - aligned with the plate setter legs - it would have less chance of slipping off.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Ingenious!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited July 2015
    @Jeepster47  With 4 Ubolts you can always reduce to 3.  Start with 3 and another trip to the hardware store if needed - just my assumption as to why... 
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Jonathan1970
    Jonathan1970 Posts: 156
    Thanks for sharing. Great idea!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Looks good.  I use bricks to add a second grid, but this would leave more bottom grid space.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Looks good.  I use bricks to add a second grid, but this would leave more bottom grid space.
    I've used bricks to elevate a bottom grid above the fire ring with regular bolts to put a second grid on top of that. I like the u-bolt set-up as mentioned above as the grid on grid alignment is much easier.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    First time I've seen the u bolt idea, fantastic!
  • AUCE
    I do like the U-bolt idea, but why did you choose four instead of three bolts?  The rear two U-bolts look precariously close to the back edge.  Can they slip off? With three bolts - aligned with the plate setter legs - it would have less chance of slipping off.

Designed to sit atop original grill not platesetter....easy to remove...not permanent

• TexanOfTheNorth
    AUCE said:

Designed to sit atop original grill not platesetter....easy to remove...not permanent
    I'm going to modify mine to use the u-bolts. I believe that 3 would provide enough balance and allows for a larger gap on the front side for accessing a lower grate.
    Use as intended.....four legs to avoid tipping for heavier fare...3 butts, pull one and it might be heavy on 1 side....just cheap insurance....

• AUCE
    Stay tuned for wing mania.....

• AUCE
    Bout 4" off lower grid.

• AUCE
    edited July 2015
    Skiddymarker said:
    Saw some of these at HD for under $3, either round or square bent. Great idea.
    use stainless or carbon steel....NO GALVANIZED HARDWARE....

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited July 2015
    Galvanization take 1600 degrees before it starts gassing off. Do you cook on your egg at 1600 degrees? Galvanized hardware is fine. Stainless is better.

I would turn those u-bolts 180 degrees. It would mean a little less room under the grate for food. But it would make sure that it won't slip off the edge of the plate setter. Also, people use 3 because there's never an issue with the rack rocking. With 4, you can get a wobbly rack if the rack or what it is sitting on deforms.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• AUCE
    In process......

• Myron Approves!

Flint, Michigan
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5017260/uploads/FileUpload/a5/c9579ec965e26e46fbac0fc2b2bcf8.jpg

If you have more than on BGE, the WOO from a smaller one works well also.  I am going to get some bolts and try this.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Looks good, but a minor nit.  The mother of invention is NOT necessity, but it is Laziness. :) 
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited July 2015
    Great idea. But, those look like zinc plated u-bolts to me. I'm not sure zinc is a good choice in high heat conditions. Stainless or bare steel you'd be fine. Not sure about plated hardware.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^ zinc is not your friend. Go back and get some ss bolts!!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Myron has a pinky ring.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Legume said:
    Myron has a pinky ring.
    That's the only way he can show off his 3 barbecue world champion rings. He's modest like that.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• AUCE
    Jeremiah said:
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^ zinc is not your friend. Go back and get some ss bolts!!
    Guy said they were stainless. ........