Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Egg, My first cook!

Options
Just bought my first Egg in a large. Put it together and did a whole 6 lb chicken for a break in @350.  Everything went well thanks to all the good tips I got here!!!!!  I had a gasser so I'm  new to charcoal but now I am so happy I did it.
After lighting my coal I was able to creep up on 350 and fine tune to stay there!  This thing is really accurate with being able to hold temp.
chicken turned out great using Dizzy Pig raging River rub.
i am learning and already am considering some changes for next time to get the skin a bit more crispy. I cooked to 165 in the breast. Juiciest chicken I ever made!  I wanna do ribs for the first time ever soooo bad. I can't wait. I have been bit by the bug!

LBGE. Plate setter, PS Woo2, Flame Boss 200.  Moorestown, South Jersey (about 15 min outside of Philly, Don't hold it against me.  I would most likely rather live where you are)

Comments

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Welcome to the madness.  

Do yourself a favor and only buy a thermopen if you do not have one and do not buy anything else for a year. By then you will know what you will really use. Otherwise, we will spend your money for you. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Very perceptive..."my first egg...".  Great cook out of the gate!  And here's a link to a recent thread that has some good intro info-may be of use: New to the Forum, New to Everything Egg  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    You will soon learn the coat of joining the BGE OCD GROUP is far less than the cost to stay in.
    Welcome and have fun
    Louisville, Kentucky
    MM & XL
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Welcome to the forum and to the lifestyle!

Do as @Sea2Ski suggest and buy a thermapen (not necessarily from this link).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Congrats. Dizzy Pig Raging River is a good versatile rub.  It looks like you hit the mark with that chicken. 
    LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • A31unit
    A31unit Posts: 199
    Options
    I placed my order for a Thermapen yesterday. Digi Camo w/ American Flag!!!!!
    LBGE. Plate setter, PS Woo2, Flame Boss 200.  Moorestown, South Jersey (about 15 min outside of Philly, Don't hold it against me.  I would most likely rather live where you are)
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Congrats brother and welcome to the crazy train!  Great first cook there!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • A31unit
    Options
    One question for veteran Eggers. When cooking my chicken my temp was right on 350. I opened the lid to check the bird and closed it. It was opened for a bit since I still have to check it with the slow oven style thermometer.  When I closed the lid the temp soared up to around 400?!?  It then took me a while to get it back down to 350. I basically choked the s$&@ out of it!  I am guessing the sudden rush of oxygen when opening the lid caused the coals to "wake up" and burn hotter for some time.  How do I plan and adjust for this.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Can't say I've ever had that happen but, your "rush of oxygen" theory sounds right.

One suggestion... consider raising your cooking grid up to the felt level using paving stones, empty beer cans, etc. You will probably find that the chicken cooks better that way. I don't do the vertical chicken but, when I do spatchcock I even raise above the felt level.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    Options
    Looks fantastic, welcome!!!
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Welcome... have fun!  And glad you ordered your thermopen...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    A31unit said:
    Just bought my first Egg in a large. Put it together and did a whole 6 lb chicken for a break in @350.  Everything went well thanks to all the good tips I got here!!!!!  I had a gasser so I'm  new to charcoal but now I am so happy I did it.
    After lighting my coal I was able to creep up on 350 and fine tune to stay there!  This thing is really accurate with being able to hold temp.
    chicken turned out great using Dizzy Pig raging River rub.
    i am learning and already am considering some changes for next time to get the skin a bit more crispy. I cooked to 165 in the breast. Juiciest chicken I ever made!  I wanna do ribs for the first time ever soooo bad. I can't wait. I have been bit by the bug!

Congratulations you'll love your Egg even moore 

Ross
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Welcome. I wouldn't sweat the temp change. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    henapple said:
    Welcome. I wouldn't sweat the temp change. 
    Agreed. 

Of course, @henapple doesn't sweat anything. He's a very cool character. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Cool=too much to drink
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome! Nice cook

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Eggingaround
    Eggingaround Posts: 357
    Options
    Congrats on getting your Egg! 
    Mckinney, TX
    LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
    Mini Max
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options

*Whispers* - Hey look guys, we roped in another one! - LG

Congratulations on your first cook.  The chicken looks outstanding!  Well, standing anyway!   I did @biggreencraig's method of ribs a couple times and both times they turned out great.  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1182291/best-ribs-to-date/p1

Enjoy!

• A31unit
    Options
    @Sookie, I am def "roped" in.  Thanks for sharing the post from @BigGreenCraig those ribs look awsome!  Thing is. It is written in a way that is actually too advanced for me even. I mean I have never smoked ribs so I don't have some of the vocabulary used in the post or even understand what the common steps are to
    doing it.
    it seems like the ribs are smoked in the grid at first, then "wrapped" in foil with the mentioned concoction and put back on for a time.  Are they then unwrapped and put back on grid once again for the final step??
    thanks
  • beachsmoke
    beachsmoke Posts: 644
    Options
    looks fantastic good first cook welcome to the nut house
    Large egg panhandle of florida
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Ask questions, you'll get answers here. Welcome. Very perceptive. "First
     egg"
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options
    A31unit said:
     Thing is. It is written in a way that is actually too advanced for me even. I mean I have never smoked ribs so I don't have some of the vocabulary used in the post or even understand what the common steps are to doing it.
    it seems like the ribs are smoked in the grid at first, then "wrapped" in foil with the mentioned concoction and put back on for a time.  Are they then unwrapped and put back on grid once again for the final step??

a)  Understanding vocabulary - please.  Just ask.  I was in your shoes once, and I felt a little lost with some terms.  People here helped me.  Honestly I am just an amateur like yourself, but they seem to put up with me.

b)  For Craig's particular ribs, they did not go back on the fire after the foil part, BUT if you wanted to sauce them, that would be a great option for these tender little babies.  I personally chose to not sauce and let the Meat Church products do the talking. 

I hope this helps.  Please continue to post!

• A31unit
    Options
    Ok. So total time on the Egg smoking is 2.5 hrs
    then they come off and get wrapped in the foil with the honey, brown sugar, liquid gold and apple juice and just sit on the picnic table like that for 1:45.  Then they are unwrapped and sit on the picnic table for another hour
    before serving?
    Also. Could you explain the procedure for the wrap in a bit more detail, like how much of each ingredient to use... Or is it just a "layer of each" ymmv
    thanks
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    Get the Rutland gasket now. The stock one will come off much easier and you'll end up with a Rutland anyways. 
    NW IOWA
  • Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    Options
    I never use aluminum foil on my ribs. The BGE traps moisture, so the meats won't dry out. The foil isn't really necessary.
    Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    A31unit said:
    Ok. So total time on the Egg smoking is 2.5 hrs
    then they come off and get wrapped in the foil with the honey, brown sugar, liquid gold and apple juice and just sit on the picnic table like that for 1:45.  Then they are unwrapped and sit on the picnic table for another hour
    before serving?
    Also. Could you explain the procedure for the wrap in a bit more detail, like how much of each ingredient to use... Or is it just a "layer of each" ymmv
    thanks
    No... wrapped and put back on the egg, then unwrapped and back on the egg (to get a little crust). This is generally referred to as the 3-2-1 method. Although Craig's times are a bit different; in the end, that shouldn't matter