Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PANICKED!!! Pulled Pork ready too soon?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just woke at 8:30am to find internal temp on an 8lb butt at 160 degrees (dome 210). Started at 9:30 last night. People expecting to eat at 6pm. How do I slow things down?????

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Bud Jones,[p]All is going on time as the temp will slow to a crawl through the 160-170F range, ideally taking several hours.[p]Looks good![p]Spin

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Bud Jones,[p]Not to worry. It's not uncommon for a butt to sit at that 160* or so threshold for hours while the fat renders out. Leave the dome temp right where it is. I would say you're still on target for 6 pm dining. Once the temp starts to climb again keep an eye on it. If if finishes early, just wrap tightly in foil at place in a dry cooler covered with towels. It will stay hot for hours.[p]K~G[p]K~G

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Bud Jones,[p]Kenny and Spin have given good advice. If it goes to 180 soon then it might be that you probe is too far in and not in the center or its touching bone or....... Reseat the probe in a new spot if you are nervous - its not uncommon to get hot spots.[p]You need to know that its pretty tough to go from 200 deg out of the Egg and to the dining room table. That 200 deg meat is hot and letting it sit 1-2 hrs is a good idea. If it gets done too early, you can wrap it in foil and paper and in a cooler for hours. Relax - PP is really hard to goof up badly.[p]Tim
  • King-O-Coals
    Options
    KennyG,
    I agree with yu Ken. It takes forever to get from 160 to 180 or above. My last one went to 181 after 28 hours. I was shooting for 200 but I took it off and left it in the rack covered with foil for a half hour or so. You could lay a piece of it on your head and your tongue would slap your brains out trying to get to it. Yes,, 28 hours. We got big butts down south.