Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

chicken wings direct or indirect?

WingnutWingnut Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
getting ready to cook wings for the fist time on my egg which way do i go and what temp?
·

Comments

• Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    wings2.jpg
    <p />wingnut,
    I go direct at 225-250. Renders the fat out better.[p]Mike

·
  • WingnutWingnut Posts: 26
    Car Wash Mike,
    how do you get your grate that high and were did you get the second level?

·
    wings2.jpg
    <p />wingnut ,
    I have direct and indirect. I still think those were direct. That is a extender. Very helpful.
    My pics are showing up for me. You saw it once, what about now?[p]Mike

·
  • WingnutWingnut Posts: 26
    Car Wash Mike,
    yes i can see it. is the extender the top rack or is it what raises the grill?

·
    wingnut,
    The extender goes on top of the orginal grid. Look under accessories on this site.[p]Mike

·
    wingnut,
    After further reveiw. Those were done with a platesetter in feet up.
    Hope I don't get penalized 15 ABT's by the REF.[p]Mike

·
  • Lawn RangerLawn Ranger Posts: 5,466
    wingnut,
    I always do them elevated, direct about 250-300 flipping and basting every 15-20 minutes until they look and feel right. No one has died yet.[p]Here's a link if you're interested. I love wings.[p]Happy Easter!
    Mike

[ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2004/messages/152447.htm[/ul]
    ·
  • wingnut,[p]I just did a batch of wings cooked over a direct fire at 300.[p]Took about 20 minutes to cook, 4 to eat. Now I'm getting ready to cook some more.[p]Almost forget - Half the wings are is spicy, half are sweet.[p][p]Monica
    ·