Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back Ribs - Insane in the Membrane!

Options
mholec
mholec Posts: 5
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

I've done quite a few baby back ribs this year and every once in awhile it appears the membrane has already been removed from the ribs.  I always get pre-packaged ribs wherever I find them cheap, and if I buy 3 slabs,  odds are one of them already has the membrane removed.  I'm I insane or is this common?

Comments

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    It sounds like a golden ticket to me, I have never had that happen to me.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Options
    It sounds like a golden ticket to me, I have never had that happen to me.
    +1 
    Maybe the butcher likes you! 
    ;)
  • hoffmand
    hoffmand Posts: 105
    Options
    I've had ribs from Sams or Costco with the membrane removed. Only once in a while though.
    Cedar Park, TX
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    Options
    Twice for me this summer. Just one rack in the group thou.
  • Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    Options
    I've had 2 slabs out of a bunch of the 3 packs from SAMS Club w/membrane removed. Hate it.....sometimes it is hard to tell if the membrane is removed and I spend way too much time removing the membrane when it's not even there. How many have done that:) or am I the only one.
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    Options
    Um ya the first time I was going nuts trying to find it.
  • NewEnglandEgger
    Options
    I've had 2 slabs out of a bunch of the 3 packs from SAMS Club w/membrane removed. Hate it.....sometimes it is hard to tell if the membrane is removed and I spend way too much time removing the membrane when it's not even there. How many have done that:) or am I the only one.

Been there, done that!
  • Eller
    Eller Posts: 56
    Options
    Farmland back ribs come packaged without the membranes. I buy them at a local AZ grocer named Basha's. I recommend this brand. They are meaty, but a bit more expensive. Still, for $3.68/lb not a bad price.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Farmland back ribs come packaged without the membranes. I buy them at a local AZ grocer named Basha's. I recommend this brand. They are meaty, but a bit more expensive. Still, for $3.68/lb not a bad price.
    $3.68 a lb would be a sale price in central KY.  Yes I've come across ribs with the membrane removed. 
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options

+1 just did that on the fourth, second time that has happened to me. Both times I got the ribs from Costco. :0(
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • mholec
    mholec Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks for the info!   I was like you NewEnglandEgger the first time I experienced this.  I'll call myself lucky next time it happens, but only if I don't hack up a slab looking for it!  Have a good cookin weekend!
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Options
    I am a member at Costco, and that is one of their selling points,their ribs are already peeled.

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    Options
    My costco sells the 3 pack of babybacks that buy quite often. It is more common for me to find them all peeled. Every now and them one in a pack will still have an intact membrane.

First time it confused me, spent 15 minutes trying to figure out where the membrane went.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Farmland to the rescue.  It's been a while since I've done a big batch of ribs from Costco...and while prepping them tonight I was distracted by guests.  I totally forgot about the membrane until I was done applying wet and dry rubs.  I scraped off the bottoms, picked at them a bit, and concluded that the membranes were already gone.  I thought I remembered that being the norm for Farmland.