Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cowboy Lump. Y'all got to be kidding me.

Options
13»

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It's not rocks,  it's petrified wood @SGH
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Cowboy is the worst!  Royal Oak is somewhat better.  I live in Central Ky and my options when it comes to lump is very limited.  I have three choices.
    1. BGE
    2. Royal Oak
    3. Cowboy

Not sure why the better lump brands are not available.  Basically you walk in to a store you get royal oak or cowboy.  Very frustrating.
    I live in Louisville, but travel for work. I can get you some Rockwood if you want. I usually pick up 100 # / per trip.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    the new stuff smells like they are harvesting plastic trees to make their lump, you have to pick out the bad pieces in the bag and wait a full hour before cooking on it and dont go make a cake with it =)
    I agree with the plastic tree analogy. When I lit this lump I let the egg run up to 550 degrees and then dropped it to 400 degrees and held it for 45 minutes. Counting the time to get to 550 and then the drop and hold time, the lump had been burning for over a hour. It still ruined my cornbread. All jokes aside, when using Rockwood I can be cooking in mere minutes. When using Rockwood I'm only waiting on the egg to preheat, not clear smoke. Clear smoke is almost immediate with Rockwood. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I love Rockwood!!!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Legume said:
    So, it's hybrid lump.  Ahead of its time even, defining the space between an egg and a stick burner.  Maybe the hardware just hasn't caught up yet.

as far as flooring scraps, how much flooring today is not laminated?  I assume the have to stay away from laminated flooring with the adhesives?
    it was real hardwood flooring. i think it got difficult to find for production during the last housing market crash. the new stuff smells like they are harvesting plastic trees to make their lump, you have to pick out the bad pieces in the bag and wait a full hour before cooking on it and dont go make a cake with it =)
    I often wondered where all those old artificial Christmas Trees went - damn, learn something every day. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • AintEZbeingme
    Options
    No more Cowboy for me. Did my last bag. Only a couple good burns, rest was crap. 
    STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
    GIVE ME OYSTERS AND BEER FOR DINNER EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR
     & I'LL FEEL FINE!

SW Georgia :  LARGE & MINI BGE

• SGH
    Options
     rest was crap. 
    This ^^^^^^^ says it best.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I love Cowboy lump. It's like a box of Cracker Jacks with rocks, wire ties, plastic and other neato goodies I didn't expect. I was hoping for a diamond ring. http://martinbinders.tumblr.com/post/35129386023/from-decoder-rings-to-diamond-rings-cracker-jack
    No such luck. I'll stick with RW and know I'm getting great lump without the extras. :lol: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options

Went to my local Ace and almost had a panic attack. No Rockwood on the floor. After pacing around for 10 minutes I finally got some help. He led me to the back where they just got a pallet in. Thanks God!!!! haha. Didn't want to grab a BGE bag of lump!

St. Johns County, Florida
  • Northarrow
    Northarrow Posts: 103
    Options
    Man, I'm depressed.  Within 20 miles of where I live, I can only get Cowboy.  It's all I've used for the past 8 years.  Always thought it was normal.  I've been traveling lately and been picking up Royal Oak.  Noticed that it's an upgrade.  I wonder how my cooks would have been better all this time if I was using better lump. 
    Kennebunk, Maine
  • SGH
    Options
    Northarrow said:
      I wonder how my cooks would have been better all this time if I was using better lump. 
    Brother moving from Cowboy or Royal Oak to Ozark Oak or Rockwood is the equivalent of moving from a go cart to a Cadillac. Huge difference my friend.  

Status- Standing by.

• MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    edited June 2015
    Options
    SGH said:
    Northarrow said:
      I wonder how my cooks would have been better all this time if I was using better lump. 
    Brother moving from Cowboy or Royal Oak to Ozark Oak or Rockwood is the equivalent of moving from a go cart to a Cadillac. Huge difference my friend.

Amen. So sayeth @SGH
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Yeah, but Cadillac?
  • SGH
    Options
    Legume said:
    Yeah, but Cadillac?
    I guess I should have said a Corvette :D

Status- Standing by.

• Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    The day this discussion on Cowboy Lump got fired up, I had just gone down and got 60 lbs on sale.  Had never tried it and after all these posts, thought about taking it back.  Tonight I tried it. OMG, it smelled like burning fuel oil.  Glad it only ruined a couple chicken breasts.  Loaded it up and returned it, smell is even in the house.  Another lesson learned !
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I will only burn Cowboy in my eggs!!! The thought of not having sparks to light up the path to my egg during the wee hrs of cooking or not having the 2hrs it takes to burn 1/2 way clean just doesn't interest me in the least.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SGH
    Options
    Bentgrass said:
    The day this discussion on Cowboy Lump got fired up, I had just gone down and got 60 lbs on sale.  Had never tried it and after all these posts, thought about taking it back.  Tonight I tried it. OMG, it smelled like burning fuel oil.  Glad it only ruined a couple chicken breasts.  Loaded it up and returned it, smell is even in the house.  Another lesson learned !
    I told yall brother. Cowboy is crap. It ruined my cornbread. Anyone who says Cowboy doesn't impart a bad taste has to have something wrong with their taste buds. 

Status- Standing by.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Meat has gotten so expensive lately that I don't want to expose it to inferior lump. 
  • SGH
    Options
    Meat has gotten so expensive lately that I don't want to expose it to inferior lump. 
    Agree 100%.

Status- Standing by.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Nothing wrong with RO, I stand by my cooks.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    Darn I just bought a bag! Now I feel like putting a match to it after reading sgh's review
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Tiger, just print this and return it. They should pay you extra for the inconvenience and the false advertising as charcoal. Charcoal as a definition comes from wood not petroleum byproducts 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I only tried one bag of Cowboy and that was many years ago. I was only using it in my hibachi or Lodge Sportsman grills and not for any lower and slower cooking.

I would light it in my chimney and pour the lump into the grill when it was all already a glowing red.

Never had any problem with the flavor or smell.

I just wonder if the problems people seem to be experiencing flavor/taste-wise is when they are using it in an egg in typical "lump in an egg" fashion and the lump is not already all fully blazing.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk