Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2015 Rub & Sauce Exchange - Show Off Thread

Comments

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    cazzy said:
    Need to try Shed sauce soon.  I've heard good things!
    They are in my local grocery store. Pretty good. 
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    @Phatchris  yesterday and man was I impressed! I can't wait to try this stuff out. I also can't wait to burn some of my buddies b*ttholes at our 4th of July cookout with the "Wicked Hot Sauce!" 
    Nice Chelsee Fire Wicked Hot sauce! It's made by a local fire company, so not only did you get a kicking hot sauce but all of the proceeds went to a good cause. Be glad you got the sauce without having to be exposed to the radio jingle though. That stupid thing will get stuck in your head for days. 
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited July 2015
    @Phatchris  yesterday and man was I impressed! I can't wait to try this stuff out. I also can't wait to burn some of my buddies b*ttholes at our 4th of July cookout with the "Wicked Hot Sauce!" 
    Glad everything made it in one piece...both hot sauces have a nice kick with the Chelsea being hotter IMO..if you do steaks be sure to sprinkle some of the sea salt on after they come off the grill ;-)I haven't yet tried the all american rub or the blackbird bbq sauce. The jalapeños are good on anything.
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    edited July 2015
    Got my box of goodies last night from @piney (Gary). Awesome job putting together a great variety with some cool extras (wearing my Egghand band right now, magnets on the fridge, and tried out the glove last night); you were most generous with your gift, and I really do appreciate it! We are big wine drinkers and SWMBO was especially excited about the wine. You did an excellent job packaging by the way, not one thing was harmed. I'm really looking forward to trying out the local NC sauces and rubs, they sound great. Thanks again Gary! And thanks to @cazzy for letting me join in late, you did a great job organizing and I look forward to the next one!

XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    byrne092 said:
    Got my box of goodies last night from @piney (Gary). Awesome job putting together a great variety with some cool extras (wearing my Egghand band right now, magnets on the fridge, and tried out the glove last night); you were most generous with your gift, and I really do appreciate it! We are big wine drinkers and SWMBO was especially excited about the wine. You did an excellent job packaging by the way, not one thing was harmed. I'm really looking forward to trying out the local NC sauces and rubs, they sound great. Thanks again Gary! And thanks to @cazzy for letting me join in late, you did a great job organizing and I look forward to the next one!

You are most welcome my friend, I am glad everything was delivered in good condition. If you are ever in the Lenoir area please stop by. Enjoy, it was my pleasure!
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    @piney is a good dude!

check to see if @kdp name is on that wine anywhere...
  • byrne092
    piney said:
    You are most welcome my friend, I am glad everything was delivered in good condition. If you are ever in the Lenoir area please stop by. Enjoy, it was my pleasure!

Will do! maybe then we can bust out that moonshine... Thanks again.

St. Louis, MO
  • piney
    @piney is a good dude!

Thanks Jason that means a lot coming from you!   KDP and I are on the lake as we speak!
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • piney
    piney said:
    @piney is a good dude!

Thanks Jason that means a lot coming from you!   KDP and I are on the lake as we speak!
    Chunky Dunking!!
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I want to get a list working...

If you haven't received your package yet, please PM me.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited July 2015
     glad @cazzy had a late signup because i decided to and I am glad I did. @byrne092 sent my package and I am very pleased with all that was inside. I like others felt like a kid on Christmas, and its been a while since I had that feeling. As a matter of fact , before i got tracking info Id be lying if I didnt prop open my door a few times over the weekend to see if a package came....haha. Look forward to the Midwest/St Louis Mix of items up here in the Great Pacific NW.

Thanks @byrne092.

Seattle, WA
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Mine should be on the recipients doorstep as we speak
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    That's a nice selection @SkinnyV. Pappy's and Sugarfire are two restaurant favorites in StL and Plowboys and Blues Hog are both firing on all BBQ cylinders. I really dig those Billy Goat chips too, they're not to be overlooked. Nice work @byrne092.

I love how there's so much exciting and diverse stuff showing up on this thread! @cazzy I've said it abouta dozen times now but it doesn't stop being true, this has been an EPIC win!

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    @Legume, I finally got some time to read your letter in full from what you sent me.  It has already given me some ideas what to use them on and I may have to share some of these with my neighbors who like to grill too.  I want to try the bacon  jam on buggers or pizza like you suggested.   Thanks again Tom and I can't wait to try them out.  @cazzy, thank you again for setting this up. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    edited July 2015
    @Thatgrimguy isn't that grim after all.

I came home to a nice box chock full of interesting stuff. 

Three sauces from the Shed - I've seen others post and I'm excited to try them, nice selection of styles.

Remoulade from Arnauds. Acadian honey, Russ & Franks BBQ sauce, etc.  some good stuff there to try.

The rubs look great as well, I've only heard of a couple of them, so I'm looking forward to experimenting, especially with the Oakridge Secret Weapon.

Cooking some filets tonight, so I'll have to bust one of these out.  Thanks for the great assortment, looking forward to making the red beans as you described.

...and of course, thanks @cazzy for organizing, great job again.

• byrne092
    edited July 2015
    You are very welcome @SkinnyV !, I'm glad everything made the journey in one piece, hopefully the chips didn't get crunched. I tried to include a good blend of sweet/spicy/savory since a lot of STL bbq can be very sweet. I'm excited to try out that Sugarfire rub myself. Have fun testing everything out and let me know what you think!

@Black_Badger thanks! I definitely agree with your comments. Sugarfire is really taking off, and rightly so, they have been turning out some great BBQ. Hopefully by expanding their product doesn't start to change.

St. Louis, MO
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Here's a nugget... Sauces &/or rubs that say "best if used before" .  Is this necessarily an "expiration date". Ie if unopened it should still be fresh right. And I'm sure there are threads on this I just don't feel like looking. :tongue: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • cazzy
    Here's a nugget... Sauces &/or rubs that say "best if used before" .  Is this necessarily an "expiration date". Ie if unopened it should still be fresh right. And I'm sure there are threads on this I just don't feel like looking. :tongue: 
    I'd still use them...especially if sealed.  I won't throw a rub out unless I can't unclump it.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @cazzy I'm the same way my friend. I just had never noticed a "best before date" before. Now that I'm stowing them in my closet for a lack of space I just saw it as I grabbed one of em. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    how to immediatley break in a elf gift. 5+  month old vaccum sealed pork i defrosted a ferw days ago. Sauce and rub...home run!!!

Seattle, WA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    @Legume The Shed is just a few miles from my house. So it fell under "local" for me. Funny thing is after I got it for you I started seeing it all over the forums.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • cazzy
    edited July 2015
    Damn!  Way to kill it @jonnymack  :bow: 
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    After a long week, I had forgotten about the gift exchange until @cazzy asked me about it tonight. Well my elf's package was waiting for me in the mailbox.

@Jstroke you killed it brother! Love the whole box and I cannot wait to try the items you sent. I will be toasting you with the gin! I really appreciate the pipe tobacco as well, that's going in my humidor for the next time I fire the pipe up. Thank you again for the generous exchange... Have a great 4th!

Cazzy, thanks again for setting this exchange up! 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    So glad you mentioned this. I forgot to tell @NCEggSmoker about the dates on the Oregon stuff. The stuff with the past dates is when it was made not expiration dates. At least that's what the lady at the store told me. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Rubs never last that long in my house except for few, so I don't worry about a use by date on them.  

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • OmahaOne
    OmahaOne Posts: 154
    Thanks Cazzy for another great Exchange. Looking forward to some new taste from distant lands.
    XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    stemc33 said:
    jonnymack said:
    Mine should be on the recipients doorstep as we speak
    Not anymore... :smiley: 
      Whoohoo! Thanks a bunch. :plus_one: 

Everything arrived intact. The letter with pics of the family and farmers market was a nice touch. It's very evident that great thought went into the box and is very much appreciated. I can't believe how exciting this exchange has been. Hard to squeeze it all into the photo, but I think after an hour I got it all in the picture. Thanks again Jason.
    What photo framing! I had a great time doing this and hope you enjoy everything. I used a ton of bubble wrap but I can't believe the Takis made it unscathed. As everyone has said, big thanks to @cazzy for outing together. Every package has looked awesome. I'm looking forward to using a bunch of stuff from mine for the fourth. 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    cazzy said:
    I'd still use them...especially if sealed.  I won't throw a rub out unless I can't unclump it.
    Just kept in mind that ground spices degrade over time.  I grind most of my spices by the use.  Salt is good forever, but you might try buying smaller amounts or grinding fresh. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    20stone said:
    cazzy said:
    Just kept in mind that ground spices degrade over time.  I grind most of my spices by the use.  Salt is good forever, but you might try buying smaller amounts or grinding fresh. 
    Just use more when they lose their potency. Helps get rid of them quicker that way. 

@Ladeback69, after this exchange, I think we'll all have some ignored/out dated stuff. Luckily for me, I was already low when I got my box yesterday. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming