Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First slow cook....questions

Options
Larry McSass
Larry McSass Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am in the middle of my first slow cook...a double smoked ham for Easter. A couple of things...first, the internal temp of the meat is going up much faster than the recipe estimated (25-30 min per pound). Could I be placing the thermometer in wrong? The Egg has been at 250 most of the time, which brings me to my second question. I opened the lid to check the probe, etc. and when I closed it the temp shot up to 300, and despite cutting off all air and trying to bring it down, it is slow to do so. Any suggestions as I finish my first slow cook would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Larry McSass,
    ignore temp swings caused by opening the dome... they are short term. it goes down because you've vented the lid, then it goes up because of the extra oxygen.[p]try not to open the dome. hard to do, when you are new to it.[p]and check your daisy after shutting the lid, you could have spun it and opened/closed it more.[p]i dunno nuthin bout the temp goin up fast, though. sorry. were you expecting this to go all night? what temp are you pulling it off?

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Larry McSass
    Options
    stike,
    No, I am just cooking all day today for dinner tonight. 18 lb ham went on at 8 am, should be done by 5, but at this rate, it will be done earlier. Do you know if it's possible to wrap in foil with wet towels as you do for pulled pork? Dr. Chicken's recipe says take it off at 140 and it will go up on its own just by sitting for 30 min. Any ideas?

• stike
    Options
    Larry McSass,
    sure, you can wrap and put it in a cooler. it'll hold.
    don't use wet towels though... no need.[p]

• Larry McSass
    Options
    stike,
    Thank you. I flipped it on the V-rack and reinserted the probe, and it dropped about 10 degrees, so I think I had the probe in a hotter spot before, hoping it doesn't go up too much soon. I will probably pull off at 140 and put it back on an hour before we eat to apply the glaze. Thanks.

• stike
    Options
    Larry McSass,
    no problem...
    what did you use for smoke?

• Larry McSass
    Options
    stike,
    I used Pecan chunks. Followed the Dr. Chicken Double Smoked Ham recipe to a "T." Cooked way too fast, though.

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Larry McSass,
    There are some pieces of meat that just don't conform to our expectations. HAd a few of them over the years and that's what keeps us agile. Stike and you have it all taken care of in the thread below. That ham will melt in your mouth. We've done it three or four times and it's great.