Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE on vacation

Options
Has anyone ever taken their BGE on vacation and were able to use it on the balcony of a time share? I'm assuming they may say that it's not authorized because it's a fire hazard. Anyone have any experience in this?

Winchester, Virginia LBGE, MiniMax

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    You need to check with the time share operator. Whatever experience others may have had would seem to be irrelavant for your situation.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Anyone with experience with the Wyndam Westwinds in Myrtle beach?

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I don't know about Myrtle Beach, per se.  You might be able to check South Carolina state law.   I'm pretty sure they are illegal in Florida - or at least regions of it.  I learned that a couple of years ago when we were looking at condos.  You should probably just call the resort. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I know cooking on the BGE is great...and the food coming off the Egg is fantastic...Bla...Bla...Bla...
    But if your on vacation why not go out and sample the local food and maybe find something new? Meet some new friends.
    I cook enough when I'm home. When I'm on vacation my goal is to get out and enjoy the local area. And I normally would not seek out BBQ joints.lol
    Eggfests are the Eggception...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • dmirish1
    dmirish1 Posts: 115
    Options
    I wanted to try and find some fresh seafood and fish from the local markets and then cook them our way. Why spend the money out at a restaurant when we can cook it better?

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I know cooking on the BGE is great...and the food coming off the Egg is fantastic...Bla...Bla...Bla...
    But if your on vacation why not go out and sample the local food and maybe find something new? Meet some new friends.
    I cook enough when I'm home. When I'm on vacation my goal is to get out and enjoy the local area. And I normally would not seek out BBQ joints.lol
    Eggfests are the Eggception...
    I'm sure you meant to encourage poster to step out and try some new things but, no way to know what OP's situation is re: his "complete" vacation plans. Maybe his budget does not allow to eat out every meal or maybe there'll be a large group (i.e., family) involved. We (7 of us) went to Orlando many years ago to have Christmas with my brother and his kids, my sister and mom. We rented a large condo and prepared all of our meals, except for lunch, at the condo. To try to take the whole group of 13 out would have been a real chore and expense.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I don't have a ton of experience but every high rise condo I have stayed in did not allow grills of any kind on the balcony.  Most places will have grills in the common area you can use.  They are usually gassers, but I just got back from vacation and they had about 8 charcoal grills in a common area.  

One off-topic tip is to check out a market that will cook it for you.  They usually have sides like corn and potatoes.  We have done this in a few places and it has always been really good.  Not grilled, but fun for something different.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Not sure what your transportation or egg situation is like but I've been know to cook on the grill on the tailgate of the truck when renting condos where grills were not allowed. The mini max makes this even easier.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • dmirish1
    Options

Our plan was to be out and about during the day and eat lunch at restaurants. But at night, I'd prefer to sit back with a beer and grill on the egg. I'd love to take my truck as suggested to be able to grill any where but the 15mpg sucks.  Money doesn't really have as much to do with this more than we just enjoy cooking. 

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    dmirish1 said:

Our plan was to be out and about during the day and eat lunch at restaurants. But at night, I'd prefer to sit back with a beer and grill on the egg. I'd love to take my truck as suggested to be able to grill any where but the 15mpg sucks.  Money doesn't really have as much to do with this more than we just enjoy cooking. 

Sounds great! I'd still recommend just calling the resort to clarify exactly what their policies are. Who knows, even cooking on the tailgate of a truck may not be allowed.
    Options
    dmirish1 said:
    I wanted to try and find some fresh seafood and fish from the local markets and then cook them our way. Why spend the money out at a restaurant when we can cook it better?
    Good point, but how do you know you can cook better or even get better seafood than the local places can cook. Not to mention all the time and expense involved in shopping and prepping your meal along with all the spices and side dishes in the condo. Hey, I'm sure you are itching to travel with your new MiniMax. Enjoy and have a safe vacation. Did not intend to ruffle feathers.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • dmirish1
    Options
    Guess I may have to put on a disguise and then call. I wouldn't want them to go around the next couple of days looking for rebels and recognize me. 

• TexanOfTheNorth
    edited July 2015
    Options
    dmirish1 said:
    Guess I may have to put on a disguise and then call. I wouldn't want them to go around the next couple of days looking for rebels and recognize me. 
    Just don't make it a Facetime call!  =)
    Options
    I'm taking my family to Florida in a few weeks and I plan on bringing my Mini Max with me.  Since owning my Eggs I haven't ordered a steak out.  So we'll be having steaks one night, some seafood another, etc.  

When I'm on vacation, I'm on vacation.  I head to the beach and spend the day there.  It's much easier to fire up the Egg and cook some steaks than it is to get everybody ready and get them to agree on a restaurant.  Then deal with a possible wait, etc.  We will go out a night or two to try some things, but relaxing at the beach is what we're there for, and I'm not going to leave it if I have to.

Another aspect of it is the money saved.  We can afford to go out to eat every night, but I can make a better steak on my Egg, and save the money on drinks and tips eating at the condo.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Tell them you are coming the week after you are scheduled.....  They'll be looking after you left!!! 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!