Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My grate is in pieces

Options
BeerMike
BeerMike Posts: 317
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The plan was to put 4 - 8lb butts on the BGE this morning. I was cleaning out the "old" charcoal and snap (not really a snap sound but it's more dramatic). The grate broke in 3 pieces. "Better now than during the cook," I thought to myself. The local BGE store opens at 10 am. I sure hope the store has a grate for the large BGE![p]Question: Is the grate covered under the BGE warranty?[p]Thanks,[p]BeerMike
"I think it's time for another beer."

I think it's time for another beer!
BGEing since 2003
2 Large BGEs 
Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
Living the dream in Wisconsin

Comments

• Jopa
    Jopa Posts: 155
    Options
    BeerMike,Yes it is covered. I broke mine a couple years ago and the Outdoor Kitchen Store in Tampa took care of me.
    FYI the new grate is metal and will not break.

• Kinger
    Kinger Posts: 147
    Options
    BeerMike,[p]They replaced grate under warranty. I have been very impressed with the warranty service from BGE. I have had one grate and a firebox for each of my eggs replaced under warranty. They have been helpful and quick.[p]JNK
  • BeerMike
    Options
    Jopa, My grate isn't metal? I didn't know that. I'll have to look at it more carefully. I learn something new every day![p]I hope my local BGE store is as helpful is yours was.[p]
    Thanks!

BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
  • BeerMike
    Options
    JNK, Helpful and quick sounds great. Do you think they can get a grate to me by 10:00 am today? hehehe hahaha[p]Thanks for the info!

BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
  • Jopa,
    My XL firebox broke and I wanted a new one with the XL clips. My store wanted to charge shipping (could not specify cost - just actual) plus a $35.00 "handling fee". I just ordered direct from BGE in Atlanta and saved the handling fee plus some shipping I expect. I know I could have repaired the firebox, but it would have probably had a fatal break when I really wanted to do something special.

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    BeerMike,
    i wired mine together with ss tig wire. used it that way for years. also works for other parts but you need a masonry drill bit, just lace it like a shoe.

• Jopa
    Jopa Posts: 155
    Options
    BOBF,
    I live about an hour and a half north of Tampa and they charged me shipping with no handling. Seems to me it under five bucks.I did not expect them to ship it for nothing. I had no problem with it.
    Cheers

• Jopa,
    I probably wasn't clear. It was the local dealer who wanted to charge a handling fee. I have no problem with paying shipping as this is standard with most, if not all, warranties. The BGE people (Ricky, I think) have always been great to deal with. They shipped out a firebox and charged only shipping. Because of weight, the firebox is going to run $50 +/-. I will just deal direct with BGE retail in the future.

• BeerMike
    Options
    BeerMike, I went to the local dealer and the only question the guy asked me was if I was the original owner. I answered, Yes." He took the broken one and handed me a new one. It doesn't get any better than that![p]The four butts are resting comfortably in the egg soaking up the hickory smoke.[p]BeerMike
    "I think it's time for another beer."

BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    BeerMike,[p]I love happy endings.... that one almost made me tear up. :~)[p]I'm sure your butts will turn out great.... post a picture if you can.[p]john

• Linda
    Linda Posts: 13
    Options
    BeerMike,
    The dealer that I bought my egg from has gone out of business. Do you think I can get parts re-placed from another dealer with no charge?

• BeerMike
    Options
    Linda, I did not purchase my egg from the dealer that replaced my grate. They never asked if I purchased the egg from them and I never offer more information than is necessary. If asked I would have answered honestly.[p]You can always call the BGE store and they will ship one to you for about 12 bucks depending on where you live. [p]BeerMike
    "I think I've had enough beer today." Who said that?![p]"I think it's time for another beer."

BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
  • Jopa,
    Wrong. I have a metal one and it cracked so much that it would not hold the charcoal. I had to BUY aonther from local dealer.