Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

My grate is in pieces

BeerMikeBeerMike Posts: 231
edited 9:49AM in EggHead Forum
The plan was to put 4 - 8lb butts on the BGE this morning. I was cleaning out the "old" charcoal and snap (not really a snap sound but it's more dramatic). The grate broke in 3 pieces. "Better now than during the cook," I thought to myself. The local BGE store opens at 10 am. I sure hope the store has a grate for the large BGE![p]Question: Is the grate covered under the BGE warranty?[p]Thanks,[p]BeerMike
"I think it's time for another beer."

I think it's time for another beer! 
Beer drinking since 1984
BGEing since 2003
2 Large BGEs 
·

Comments

• JopaJopa Posts: 155
    BeerMike,Yes it is covered. I broke mine a couple years ago and the Outdoor Kitchen Store in Tampa took care of me.
    FYI the new grate is metal and will not break.

·
  • KingerKinger Posts: 147
    BeerMike,[p]They replaced grate under warranty. I have been very impressed with the warranty service from BGE. I have had one grate and a firebox for each of my eggs replaced under warranty. They have been helpful and quick.[p]JNK
    ·
  • BeerMikeBeerMike Posts: 231
    Jopa, My grate isn't metal? I didn't know that. I'll have to look at it more carefully. I learn something new every day![p]I hope my local BGE store is as helpful is yours was.[p]
    Thanks!

Beer drinking since 1984
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    ·
    JNK, Helpful and quick sounds great. Do you think they can get a grate to me by 10:00 am today? hehehe hahaha[p]Thanks for the info!

Beer drinking since 1984
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    ·
  • Jopa,
    My XL firebox broke and I wanted a new one with the XL clips. My store wanted to charge shipping (could not specify cost - just actual) plus a $35.00 "handling fee". I just ordered direct from BGE in Atlanta and saved the handling fee plus some shipping I expect. I know I could have repaired the firebox, but it would have probably had a fatal break when I really wanted to do something special.

·
  • jwitheldjwitheld Posts: 284
    BeerMike,
    i wired mine together with ss tig wire. used it that way for years. also works for other parts but you need a masonry drill bit, just lace it like a shoe.

·
  • JopaJopa Posts: 155
    BOBF,
    I live about an hour and a half north of Tampa and they charged me shipping with no handling. Seems to me it under five bucks.I did not expect them to ship it for nothing. I had no problem with it.
    Cheers

·
  • Jopa,
    I probably wasn't clear. It was the local dealer who wanted to charge a handling fee. I have no problem with paying shipping as this is standard with most, if not all, warranties. The BGE people (Ricky, I think) have always been great to deal with. They shipped out a firebox and charged only shipping. Because of weight, the firebox is going to run $50 +/-. I will just deal direct with BGE retail in the future.

·
    BeerMike, I went to the local dealer and the only question the guy asked me was if I was the original owner. I answered, Yes." He took the broken one and handed me a new one. It doesn't get any better than that![p]The four butts are resting comfortably in the egg soaking up the hickory smoke.[p]BeerMike
    "I think it's time for another beer."

Beer drinking since 1984
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    ·
  • WooDoggiesWooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    BeerMike,[p]I love happy endings.... that one almost made me tear up. :~)[p]I'm sure your butts will turn out great.... post a picture if you can.[p]john

·
  • LindaLinda Posts: 13
    BeerMike,
    The dealer that I bought my egg from has gone out of business. Do you think I can get parts re-placed from another dealer with no charge?

·
    Linda, I did not purchase my egg from the dealer that replaced my grate. They never asked if I purchased the egg from them and I never offer more information than is necessary. If asked I would have answered honestly.[p]You can always call the BGE store and they will ship one to you for about 12 bucks depending on where you live. [p]BeerMike
    "I think I've had enough beer today." Who said that?![p]"I think it's time for another beer."

Beer drinking since 1984
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    ·
  • Jopa,
    Wrong. I have a metal one and it cracked so much that it would not hold the charcoal. I had to BUY aonther from local dealer.

·