Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermistor sleeve material - Polder goes to 600F

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
You folks may or may not remember, I put a message up on the board about a week ago regarding the usefulness of ceramic thermistor sheathing on Polder or Maverick probes. I went ahead and bought ten feet of this stuff. It's rated at some ungodly temperature like 1200C or something like that.[p]I enclosed a Polder probe with this material this evening. After one hour in my Kamado at between 600 and 650 the Polder probe seems unaffected! I've checked the probe in the house with my hot water from the tap, and room temp, and they both register correctly using this probe. Compare this with a Polder probe that I tried to check a steak with last week: after ten minutes at around 380, it doesn't work at all anymore. [p]If any of you are interested, here's the info:[p]http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=XC_XC4_SLEEVING[p]NOTE: The product info I got with this stuff warns of some nasty byproducts that boil off while the material is breaking in. I put the material I got on the grill at 600 for about an hour before I used it. I _think_ this should be sufficient to drive off any nasty chemicals that will be released at cooking temps, but YMMV.[p]grant

[ul][li]***Thermistor Sleeving***[/ul]

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    grant,
    Many of the items that are used by folks on the forum are now staples, and were conceived and introduced by folks like you who experiment, and share there experiences. Thanks for the report.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    grant,
    That sleeve material sounds great, did you get the 1/4" diameter? Thanks for info! Bob

• Bamabob, Yep, 1/4 inch. Slides on very nicely over the probe. Now if I can just figure out a way to keep it from unraveling, I'll be all set![p]grant[p]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    grant,[p]Sounds like you found my next toy to play with. How much of the Polder cable did you have inside the ceramic cooker? Did you have the sleeve over the stainless steel part or just the cable? That's pretty amazing that it could go 1 hr at 600, what did you cook for 1 hr at 600 anyway?[p]Tim
  • Tim M, I had about 2/3 of the probe inside the cooker. I had the sleeve over the entire exposed surface of the probe inside the cooker, right up against the food. I sacrificed the biggest sweet potatoe I could find in the bin. I wouldn't eat it, it was black. <g>[p]grant[p]

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    grant, Did you have to order 10 feet? If so, got any left you want to sell? If not, how did you order less?

• Wise One,
    I ordered ten feet. That's the minimum that comes up as a choice when you enter the data on that page for type, size, length. I dont know if I'm going to have any left yet, or not. I was thinking of putting it on four probes at about 2.5 feet per probe. However, if it works like I think it will, I won't need any more than just one probe. Let me see how things work out.[p]grant

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    grant,[p]Thanks for sharing the results of your experimentation with us. I kind of thought this would work for you.[p]K~G

• MRM
    MRM Posts: 6
    grant, I assume you used the 1/16" diameter product? Any additional comments on this since your original post? Thanks.

• MRM,
    No, I used the 1/4 inch stuff. At the top of both the Polder and the Maverick probes are crimps where the wire goes into the probe itself. These are slightly less than 1/4 inch. I also didn't want to run into any problems sliding the sleeving around the radius of the probe. I have not experimented with it any more since the first time. Have done a couple low temp cooks. Next week I plan to do a steak at around 750. That should be a good test.[p]grant

• grant, in one of your earlier posts you alluded to a problem with the tubing unraveling, right? I wonder if getting a simple metal ferrule from a hardware store and then slipping it over the tabing and crimping it would solve the problem. You could probably make your own ferrule using tubing and a tubing cutter if you have one. ^oo^~

• one feral kat,
    I thought about that but then thought that the furrule (when touching the wire) would conduct the heat to the wire? What do you think? (I thought I might try a bead of exhaust manifold stuff - think that might work also?)[p]grant