Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2015 Rub & Sauce Exchange - Show Off Thread

Options

Comments

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    It truly amazes me what you can get for $35. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    funny @gmac that's what my wife said, dripping with sarcasm
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Huh? 35.00 was all I had to spend? Damnit!
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Need to try Shed sauce soon.  I've heard good things!
    They had some at Harris Teeter marked down.  Got the mustard type, can't remember the name, but it was very good.  Reminded me of Heinz 57 a little. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options

20stone said:
    Sweet! (Or tangy, actually, since it's Carolina BBQ goodies).  I just opened a great box of goodies from @shucker, who really hooked me up.

Sadly, one of the sauce tops came off and nuked the box, some of the dry goodies, and his note (front left). Fortunately, even down a bottle, this is a great haul.  More commentary after the pic.

What @shucker didn't know is that while I am a Texan through and through, I didn't fall hard for BBQ until we lived a few years in Chapel Hill, NC, where pigs, pepper and vinegar combine to make some great eats.

We then moved to Chicago, where we got our LBGE, I found Elder Ward's pork butt recipe, and wore it out, along with pork ribs, chickens, ducks, pheasants, but no brisket.

When we we moved back to Texas four years ago, I figured that I better switch to brisket, or I'd get deported. Thanks to this box, I have a great excuse to get back to the swine that stole my heart. Thanks again for the great box.

J

PS - Look to have done a great write up for me.  I was able to find your handle (barely), I would appreciate it if you could message me the note so I can read it. 

Great story man!  I recognize a few of these.  Geroge's is pretty good I hear. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    cazzy said:
    @fljoemon  I am stoked.... I just returned from a crazy week of daughter's wedding and couple days relaxing in Asheville. My neighbor brings over my package last evening. First let me say that my gift is outstanding and much appreciated. I very much like the Jamaican items as this will stretch me in new directions. I have not delved much in the Jamaican world of spice and heat. I am looking forward to this, a big fan of the warmth myself. You are most kind and generousness. My apologies for taking so long to get this posted....just been a crazy week......Speaking of @cazzy, thanks for putting this exchange together. What great fun both on the sending and receiving side.Looking forward to the weekend. I have some great cooks planned and also watching The Grateful Dead's final shows on PPV. I appreciate the note and instructions card. Again thanks so much for the gift items. You rock!

Looks like you either got after the Jerk BBQ sauce or it broke.  
    I dropped it. I have only myself to blame, as it arrived safely. You don't know how good it tasted. Regardliss, is a great bunch culinary fun about to break out here at the house!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    The package that Matt @chubbs sent me arrived today. It is an awesome selection of regional sauces and rubs. He wrote a detailed letter describing each item. The letter makes the items really come to life.
    I opened a few of the sauces to get a feel for what they were. I also opened the Voodoo Prince Death Mamba. The first 1/2 tsp didn't seem so hot. The second 1/2 tsp created a 3 alarm blaze that simply could not be extinguished with iced tea. I had to break out the milk to find relief. It's funny how the initial taste didn't reveal the sauces true character. I really liked it, however I have developed a respect for it as well. 

The Daily Red will work well for me on the breakfast burritos that I make. It has a really good flavor. 

The Shealy's Vinegar Pepper sauce will definitely work well on pulled pork. I may also add a little of the yellow Shealy's to moderate the vinegar, I think they will really complement each other.

I can honestly say that I have not tried any of the products I received. I have only seen the Bone Sucking Sauce, I haven't tried it before.

The grits are also most welcome here. The will make for a mighty fine southern breakfast this coming weekend,

I would like the recipe for the vinegar based sauce the you mentioned. Around here most of the sauces tend to go toward the sweeter tomato based type. With the notable exception on Dreamland.

Thank you for your most thoughtful gift. It has definitely exceeded my expectations in every way. 

Thanks Again 
    Greg
    GregW

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    Received my package today from @TigerTony . Let me say, I am floored by how many cool things you included. Everything from seasonings to salad dressings, stuffed olives to coffee. Not one - NOT ONE of these things have I ever tried so I am in form  treat and really like Cajun flavors. The box, supremely packed, wasn't open more than 2 minutes before I was convinced to try a blue cheese stuffed olive from Joseph's. Amazing. Tony included so many different things and a nice note explaining how to use some off the sauces and such. The arrival of the CDM coffee caused me to use the 'do it yourself' pod with my Keurig for the first time in three years. I had never had coffee with chicory and I'm hooked. Thank you so much Tony for these awesome things and thanks to @cazzy for being the arranger extraordinaire.

I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    Missed one
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited July 2015
    Options
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    edited July 2015
    Options
    cazzy said:
    @fljoemon  I am stoked.... I just returned from a crazy week of daughter's wedding and couple days relaxing in Asheville. My neighbor brings over my package last evening. First let me say that my gift is outstanding and much appreciated. I very much like the Jamaican items as this will stretch me in new directions. I have not delved much in the Jamaican world of spice and heat. I am looking forward to this, a big fan of the warmth myself. You are most kind and generousness. My apologies for taking so long to get this posted....just been a crazy week......Speaking of @cazzy, thanks for putting this exchange together. What great fun both on the sending and receiving side.Looking forward to the weekend. I have some great cooks planned and also watching The Grateful Dead's final shows on PPV. I appreciate the note and instructions card. Again thanks so much for the gift items. You rock!

Looks like you either got after the Jerk BBQ sauce or it broke.  
    I dropped it. I have only myself to blame, as it arrived safely. You don't know how good it tasted. Regardliss, is a great bunch culinary fun about to break out here at the house!
    @northGAcock .. I'm glad my package made it without any breakage .. sorry you missed out on the Jerk BBQ sauce .. a good one to baste the jerk chicken on finish. I had the UPS store people pack the goodies and even though it cost a few dollars more, I guess it was well worth it since the package arrived without any damage.

I am amazed by the quantity and quality of this rub exchange. Everyone has gone way beyond the minimum  .. the bar is raised now for the @Cazzy organized rub exchange :-)
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    GregW said:
    The package that Matt @chubbs sent me arrived today. It is an awesome selection of regional sauces and rubs. He wrote a detailed letter describing each item. The letter makes the items really come to life.
    I opened a few of the sauces to get a feel for what they were. I also opened the Voodoo Prince Death Mamba. The first 1/2 tsp didn't seem so hot. The second 1/2 tsp created a 3 alarm blaze that simply could not be extinguished with iced tea. I had to break out the milk to find relief. It's funny how the initial taste didn't reveal the sauces true character. I really liked it, however I have developed a respect for it as well. 

The Daily Red will work well for me on the breakfast burritos that I make. It has a really good flavor. 

The Shealy's Vinegar Pepper sauce will definitely work well on pulled pork. I may also add a little of the yellow Shealy's to moderate the vinegar, I think they will really complement each other.

I can honestly say that I have not tried any of the products I received. I have only seen the Bone Sucking Sauce, I haven't tried it before.

The grits are also most welcome here. The will make for a mighty fine southern breakfast this coming weekend,

I would like the recipe for the vinegar based sauce the you mentioned. Around here most of the sauces tend to go toward the sweeter tomato based type. With the notable exception on Dreamland.

Thank you for your most thoughtful gift. It has definitely exceeded my expectations in every way. 

Thanks Again 
    Greg
    GregW

Glad you liked it! I believe there is another item or two not pictured. Willie's hog Dust for sure. Check the box as I wrapped a lot individually. There may be some more goodies in the wrapping! Enjoy!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hibby said:
    Missed one
    @Hibby  > I sent you all New Orleans and items from the bayou country. It makes it all worth while to put a smile on your face.  I enjoyed picking out stuff for you to try.
    Can't wait to hear your feedback after you try Jack Miller's sauce. It's awesome on chicken and makes a great sauce for pulled pork. Oh and the Cajun Power garlic sauce mixes well with almost everything.
    When you run out of CDM let me know ;)
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    GregW said:

Thanks Again 
    Greg
    GregW

Glad you liked it! I believe there is another item or two not pictured. Willie's hog Dust for sure. Check the box as I wrapped a lot individually. There may be some more goodies in the wrapping! Enjoy!
    Indeed, I looked further in the box and found the Willies Hog Dust. It's been like Christmas here, The kids helped unpack the box. You can imagine their excitement and the chaos that ensued opening the box.

Thanks Again.
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    BOWHUNR said:
    Well this year Christmas came on July 1st for me!  Many thanks to my Elfster @fiver29 for this very generous selection of sauces, rubs and marinades.  I didn't include it in the photos, but this was all accompanied by a very detailed description about the origin of each item and even a recipe.  You out did yourself John!  

BTW, my brother happened to be here when I opened it and he picked up on the Tony Packo's before we ever looked at your letter.  I guess he's a better MASH fan than I am.  Once again, thank-you my friend and if your travels ever bring you through Omaha the beers on me.

Glad you liked everything!!  I must have had that box on my mind today.  I had lunch at Bubba Q's.  I made Tony Packo's hot dogs for dinner complete with the sauce and a summer time salad with Garlic Expressions.  

If I'm ever out your way I will look you up for sure.  Same goes here.  You ever make it to Cleveland give me a holler.  

Have a Happy 4th!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    @Chubbs nice call with the Shealy's
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    This thread is going to go down as one of the all time greats! Really fun stuff here throughout!

It has got me thinking though... Has anyone had anything break that was shipped in a USPS flat rate box? I am slowly convincing myself that the postal service handles those more carefully. I was really worried about my package because it was JAMMED full, but everything arrived in tact. If anyone had a broken item shipped in a flat rate box please let us know!

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    Options
    20stone said:
    It looks like some of the boxes are getting some tough love. I expect to deploy some serious engineering next year
    These are not the exact ones I used, but close... San Diego to Ontario Canada and @Gmac will attest that they work well.  Just google "wine shipping containers" there are a bunch of them listed. Individual slots for each bottle.

The bottom one is from U-HaulT
    The bottom picture is from U-Haul... it shows a 12 pack shipper but sez 1,2,3,or 6 in the body text so I guess ya gotta check.
    San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I hope you are my elfster!!!

if it makes you feel better. I personally blew past the 35.00 in 3 rubs. And then I Kept buying. Don't tell my wife!  

And from rom what might seeing in this thread. Everyone went over the minimum.  I'm thrilled for the group.   Warms my heart. 
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    I has a chance to try one of my new rubs for the first time today and it was REALLY good. I don't have the label in front of me right now, but it was the Pecan Chipotle rub in a silver cryopack. Used it pretty liberally on some StL cut ribs and they turned out very nice!

Unfortunately I overcooked them quite a bit and the bones were just falling out, but the flavor was great and they made for some really nice chopped rib sandwiches on King's Hawaiin rolls! I pretty much always cook without a crutch, but I tried to hurry these along and ended up nuking them...

Thanks again @Proser, so far we're off to a hugely solid start...

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    Angus1978 said:
    I hope you are my elfster!!!

if it makes you feel better. I personally blew past the 35.00 in 3 rubs. And then I Kept buying. Don't tell my wife!  

And from rom what might seeing in this thread. Everyone went over the minimum.  I'm thrilled for the group.   Warms my heart. 

I remember every time I went into a store, I went to the local made area and was educated as to what was made locally. I will do more shopping now that I know.

Knowing I was buying for the Elf program, I would grab a few bottles of this or that as it was fun and interesting. After a few weeks of that, I looked at the pile and knew I went well past the $35 minimum. I had fun doing it and enjoyed giving it away. Win/ win

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• gmac
    Options
    UncleFred said:
    20stone said:
    It looks like some of the boxes are getting some tough love. I expect to deploy some serious engineering next year
    These are not the exact ones I used, but close... San Diego to Ontario Canada and @Gmac will attest that they work well.  Just google "wine shipping containers" there are a bunch of them listed. Individual slots for each bottle.

The bottom one is from U-HaulT
    The bottom picture is from U-Haul... it shows a 12 pack shipper but sez 1,2,3,or 6 in the body text so I guess ya gotta check.
    They really did do an amazing job protecting the goods. In fact, some were actually hard to get out because during shipping things settled in tight and held it all in place. I will be sending it back to the US next exchange. 
  • gmac
    Options
    But, do they make CD holders for the Beiber?  Next time someone's getting Beiber. 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Thank you @Legume, for the fine rubs and sauce's from Austin, Texas.  I looking forward to trying them all especially the Salt Lick sauce Franklin Barbeque sauce and the bacon jam.  This is like Christmas in the summer.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    fiver29 said:
    BOWHUNR said:
    Well this year Christmas came on July 1st for me!  Many thanks to my Elfster @fiver29 for this very generous selection of sauces, rubs and marinades.  I didn't include it in the photos, but this was all accompanied by a very detailed description about the origin of each item and even a recipe.  You out did yourself John!  

BTW, my brother happened to be here when I opened it and he picked up on the Tony Packo's before we ever looked at your letter.  I guess he's a better MASH fan than I am.  Once again, thank-you my friend and if your travels ever bring you through Omaha the beers on me.

Glad you liked everything!!  I must have had that box on my mind today.  I had lunch at Bubba Q's.  I made Tony Packo's hot dogs for dinner complete with the sauce and a summer time salad with Garlic Expressions.  

If I'm ever out your way I will look you up for sure.  Same goes here.  You ever make it to Cleveland give me a holler.  

Have a Happy 4th!
    Holy $hit John!  You're the blue egg guy?  I've told my wife about them and she won't believe me, even with your tag line photo.  Sometime when you get a chance post a photo of the full blue egg so I can win this ongoing debate.  

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    I did @cazzy its cleverly hidden behind the crab spice and the cocktail sauce. ☺️. First thing I cracked into after the Jerk Sauce.
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    edited July 2015
    Options
    BOWHUNR said:
    Holy $hit John!  You're the blue egg guy?  I've told my wife about them and she won't believe me, even with your tag line photo.  Sometime when you get a chance post a photo of the full blue egg so I can win this ongoing debate.  
    Not a problem @BOWHUNR !  @DMW recently posted these pictures when he visited the Big Green Egg museum.  Thanks for doing that!  First 2 pics are his at the museum showcasing all the eggs over the years.  Last picture are my 2 eggs side by side.  Cheers!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Thanks to Royal Coachman for all the great sauces and rubs. I can't wait to try the new products. Also thanks Cazzy for organization of this exchange.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • MeatChurch
    MeatChurch Posts: 200
    Options
    @Phatchris  yesterday and man was I impressed! I can't wait to try this stuff out. I also can't wait to burn some of my buddies b*ttholes at our 4th of July cookout with the "Wicked Hot Sauce!" 
    XL, Large, Mini-Max in Texas - Big Green Egg Competition Team 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Thank you @Legume, for the fine rubs and sauce's from Austin, Texas.  I looking forward to trying them all especially the Salt Lick sauce Franklin Barbeque sauce and the bacon jam.  This is like Christmas in the summer.
    You are more than welcome Doug, I hope you enjoy the variety, have fun experimenting and find some things you and your family like.  I hope you were able to find the note.