Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

racoon problem

Options
someone here was trying to get rid of them here, did they find away to chase them away. watched 7 enter my neighbors abandoned house yesterday morning, the house is maybe 14 feet from mine, dont want the dog scraping with them. they need to go before fall. house is owned by a cop so shooting at the house might not be an option =) these things will draw in the coyote/wolf crosses come fall so they have to move on soon
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    Pretty sure fire will keep them away.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    Pretty sure fire will keep them away.
    been concerned with that as well, my big propane pigs sit right between the two houses :o
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    fukahwee maine

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    sausage at Salado
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Oh f***, not this again!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Oh f***, not this again!
    im not about to go thru that again, just need to know what nola did ;)
    fukahwee maine

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    You mean you don't want to read that entire thread to find out? ;)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I tried trapping some feral cats last spring with a trap from the local animal control place. Baited the cage with cat food from the dollar store. First night i caught a racoon, then caught 3 cats over the next 2-3 days. Animal control came and swapped out traps whenever I called and said I had caught something. 

You will probably need some kind of deterrant though to keep them out . Have you tried peeing along your property line (I'm not kidding), or buying some type of predator urine form Cabela's etc.?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Trap them and relocate.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Pretty sure any racoon leaving @nolaegghead 's house would look like this:

https://youtu.be/VUMNLVtFj60

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Trap them and relocate.  
    i was given a warning by conservation a few years ago doing that with squirrels, next offense will be a huge fine. was told to drown the squirrels
    caliking said:
    I tried trapping some feral cats last spring with a trap from the local animal control place. Baited the cage with cat food from the dollar store. First night i caught a racoon, then caught 3 cats over the next 2-3 days. Animal control came and swapped out traps whenever I called and said I had caught something. 

You will probably need some kind of deterrant though to keep them out . Have you tried peeing along your property line (I'm not kidding), or buying some type of predator urine form Cabela's etc.?
    i would think between the fisher cat and dog that they just wouldnt stay there. get this, peeing in the outdoors in massachusetts is a sex crime, then you register and have the opportunity to get posted on the sex crime channel every 20 minutes :o
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Trapped three one night using marshmallows as bait.  They howl like dolphins.  Two escaped, we let the third out a few miles away in the woods.  Never had a problem since.
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Trapped three one night using marshmallows as bait.  They howl like dolphins.  Two escaped, we let the third out a few miles away in the woods.  Never had a problem since.
    hmmm
     then maybe if i trap a pup and let it howl, thats what would fit in my trap, and hold it there a day, momma might just move them all.  im going to give the owner a few weeks to do something, the lake association wants the house knocked down and if they found out thats what might happen. im perfectly fine having no neighbor on that side so its good that house is there
    fukahwee maine

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Get the popcorn and prepare to watch the raccoon gifs. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    i would think between the fisher cat and dog that they just wouldnt stay there. get this, peeing in the outdoors in massachusetts is a sex crime, then you register and have the opportunity to get posted on the sex crime channel every 20 minutes :o
    keep a gallon jug by the pisser and then pour it along the property line at night. Works for rabbits and deer. Don't ask how I know. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• nlovold
    nlovold Posts: 194
    Options
    caliking said:
    keep a gallon jug by the pisser and then pour it along the property line at night. Works for rabbits and deer. Don't ask how I know. 
    I like the way you think.  Keeping a jug of piss next to the toilet would also be a surefire way to keep my wife and kids out of MY bathroom...  I just hope they don't think I'm going all Howard Hughes and try to commit me.  
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Im waiting for more GIFs at this point.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Options
    nobody has mentioned trap them and then Green Egg them.   Really good eating
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Don't know where you're at but perhaps look for someone that has Redbone or any of the other Coonhonds....there is several hound hunting forums that may be of assistance....